Stop payment facility will enable you to protect from fraud or forgery or in case of misplace of cheque. But, before placing for stop payment request one needs to ensure that the check is not yet been presented for clearing.
However, if the cheque is presented before stop payment is requested, in such cases banks will not be able to stop the payment of your check.
There is certain fees charged by the bank for providing this service. However, charges differs with banks and number of cheques you are requesting to stop.
Steps to stop issued cheque payment online
Here, lets take an example of SBI Bank
To give stop payment online, first you need to be registered with the Bank
1. Visit onlinesbi.com
2. Login under Personal banking (With Username and Password)
3. In home page click "e-services" Tab
4. From the drop down click "Stop Payment"
5. Enter the details- Cheque number, date, name of the party.
6. Tick the terms and conditions icon and
7. Click submit.