The government has been increasingly giving emphasis to the girl child and education for her. In line with the same the Government recently launched a new deposit scheme called Sukanya Samriddhi Account only for minor girl child in India.
It is much in sync with the "Beti Bachao Beti Padhao" initiative that we keep hearing these days.
Here are the features of Sukanya Samriddi Account Opening
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened in the name of a girl child any time from her birth till she attains the age of 10 years
- Minimum deposit of Rs. 1000 can be made each year else a penalty of Rs.50 shall be levied.
- The account can be opened in any post office or authorized branches of commercial banks across the country by producing birth certificate of the girl child.
- The account holder girl child will be able to operate the account herself on attaining the age of 10 years.
- The account will remain operative for 21 years from the date of opening of account or marriage of the girl child after attaining 18 years of age whichever is earlier.
- To meet the requirement of higher education expenses of the account holder girl child, partial withdrawal of 50 per cent of the balance would be allowed after the girl child has attained the age of 18 years.
- The provision of not allowing withdrawal from the account till the girl child attains the age of 18 years has been kept to prevent early age marriage of girls.
- The account fetched higher rate of interest @ 9.1 % is proposed to be given on the deposits
- Method of calculating rate of interest will be compounded annually.
- Every year interest rate will be announced by government.
- The maximum of Rs. 1,50,000 can be deposited in a financial year.
- This product is covered under 80C of Income Tax Act.
Intention behind the product launch is good as saving for girl child's education and marriage is getting tougher. This product may encourage any parents to start investing on their girls future.
The product offers a very good return as compared to bank fixed deposits which offer an interest rate of just 8.75 per cent. The interest rate of 9.1 per cent is pretty decent in this case and also comes with tax benefits. It is therefore advised to invest in the scheme as it is a safe product also backed by the Government of India.