Automated Teller Machine known as ATM which despenses cash 24/7 and can be operated within minutes. With the help of PIN which is the numeric password one can withdraw an amount from the ATM.
It is suggested to customers to change the PIN on the first use. Customer should not disclose PIN to anybody, including to bank officials. Customers should change the PIN at regular intervals.
It is also said that typing Reverse Pin number will automatically alarm to the nearest police station.
Here are new safety measures one should follows:
- When inside the ATM, make sure you are alone at your kiosk. Some banks have multiple kiosk in a ATM room.
- Never handover your card to any unknown person, in case o doubts go to nearest bank or seek help from your family members.
- It is never advised to make a not of PIN. It is always better to memorize
- Never share PIN with anyone or seek help from anybody by handing over the card and revealing the PIN.
- Never let anyone see the PIN while it is being entered at the ATM
- Never use a PIN which can be guessed easily. Say for example avoid using birthday of spouse or telephone number or vehicle number.
- Crosscheck before leaving whether you are kept your card back.
- Register your mobile number with the card issuing bank for getting alerts for ATM /WLA transactions. Any unauthorized card transaction in the account, if observed, should be immediately reported to the card issuing bank.
- Beware of any extra devices attached to the ATMs/WLAs. These may be put to capture customer's data fraudulently. If any such device is found, inform the security guard / bank/ white label ATM entity maintaining it immediately.
- Keep an eye on suspicious movements of people around. Individuals should be beware of strangers trying to engaging him/her in conversation or offering help.
Finally, remember that bank officials will never ask for card details or PIN over telephone or email.
Be smart, do not respond to any vishing or phishing mails from people indicating that they represent your bank.