A digital signature is an electronic signature which can be used to authenticate electronic documents which is very similar to a handwritten signature which authenticates printed documents.
Here are 6 smart things to know:
1) Digital signature includes
A digital signature is issued by a Certification Authority (CA) and signed with the CA's private key. Name of the holder, Expiration date, and Name of the issuer (the CA that issued the Digital ID) Serial number of the digital signature and Digital signature of the issuer.
2) Digital Signature Certificates
Digital Signature Certificates (DSC) will be in the electronic format of physical or paper certificate just like a driving License, passport etc.
3) Uses of Digital signature
- Digital signature can be used for sending and receiving digitally signed and encrypted emails.
- To carry any secure web-based transactions, or to identify other participants of web-based transactions
- For signing documents like MSWord, MSExcel and PDFs.
- An individual can have two DSC, one can be used for official purpose and other one for personal use.
- Digital signature cannot be forged and it asserts that a named person wrote or otherwise agreed to the document to which the signature is attached.
4) Different types of Digital certificates
Class 1 Certificate will be issued to individuals and private subscribers. These certificates will confirm that user's name and E-mail address within the Certifying Authorities database.
Class 2 Certificate will be issued for both business personnel and personal use. These certificates will confirm that the information in the application provided by the subscriber.
Class 3 Certificate will be issued to individuals as well as organizations. As these are high assurance certificates, can be used for e-commerce purpose.
5) Digital signature certificate providers
- Code Solutions Ltd
- e-Mudhra CA
- National Informatics Centre
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
6) Documents required to get DSC
The government issued Photo-ID Proof such as Pan-Card [Mandatory], Driving License, passport. Address Proof and Attesting Officer Proof
Signature of the applicant should be in Blue Ink only. Above all should be submitted along with application form. Fees for the same varies with type of signature and validity.