1979 - The Company was originally incorporated on 31st December, under
the companies act, 1956, as 'Ajanta Pharma Private Limited' and
became a Public Limited Companyunder the name 'Ajanta Pharma
Limited' vide Special Resolution passed on 7th July, 1986, and
certificate dated 11th August, 1986.
- The Company is engaged in manufacture and marketing of
pharmaceutical products both in India and abroad.
- The Company built a basket of ten OTC brands and a marketing
infrastructure spread in entire Marathwada region.
- The two brands of APL were launched namely, 'Pinkoo' Gripe Water
and 'Apcose D' glucose powder.
- From the year 1979 to 1984 the company became one of the major
OTC player in the state of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka
1981 - The Company entered the institutional segment like hospitals,
CSD, defence, UNICEF, UNHCR, municipalities and Government health
1984 - The Company set up second manufacturing facility at Paithan near
1990 - The Company launched 'Thirty Plus' which elevated Ajanta Pharma
to a national player.
1992 - The company entered the international market and is in the
process of establishing its products in 40 countries in different
parts of the world.
1996 - The Company established a modern, State-of-the-art Reserach and
Development center at Kandivli, Mumbai.
- An R&D center was set up at Kandivli, Mumbai.
- The Company has six depots at Mumbai, Aurangabad, Lucknow,
Hyderabad, Hubli and Cochin and nine consignment agents at
Chennai, Delhi, Calcutta, Guwahati, Indore , Jodhpur, Ahmedabad,
Chandigarh and Hissar.
1997 - The Company entered the prescription drug market.
- The Company set up a Pilot Plant for Herbal Extraction at Paithan
which carries out solvent and aqueous extraction on a pilot
1998 - The Company entered in the bulk drug segment as a backward
integration with semi synthetic penicillin and then switched
over to cefalosporins.
- The Company decided to exit from the bulk drug business and hive
off its bulk drug manufacturing facility.
1999 - The Company entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with
Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd. ('Orchid') on December,
30, for sale of its Bulk Drug plant to the latter.
- The Company has developed quantification of 15 marker compound,
52 specific group of ingredients and finger printing for 60
2000 - The Company have signed the Plant Purchase Agreement on February
11, and the entire bulk drug unit has been transferred to Orchid.
2001 - The Company has launched two brands under the umbrella-branding concept. Under
the brand 'Pinkoo', it has launched cough syrup, which is specially made for children
up to 12 years and under the brand 'Trimol' the company has launched a pain balm.
- Mr. Pradeep Kumar Sethi has ceased to be nominee director for IDBI due to transfer of service from Mumbai to Chandigarh; 2) Mr. N M Ambade is appointed as a nominee director of IDBI.
-Forfeited 151650 equity share due to non-payment of allotment / call monies.
-Ajanta Pharma becomes one of the first few companies in India to launch 'Ezemibe', the latest drug for lowering cholesterol in heart patients
Ajanta Pharma Limited has informed that the Company has recently launched Tadalis (Tadalafil), a medical breakthrough in the management of erectile dysfunction (ED or impotence) in men.
-US-based Allergen Inc has entered into a tie-up with Ajanta Pharma to market the latter's gatifloxacin (liquid eye drops) in the regulated market
-Ajanta Pharma Limited has appointed Mr. C. Napoleon as Company Secretary w.e.f. 20th December, 2006.
- Ajanta signs tech transfer agreement with Taiwanese co.
- Ajanta Pharma Ltd has informed that Mr. Chandrakant Khetan has been appointed as an Additional Director of the Company w.e.f. October 23, 2008 and to hold office till ensuing Annual General Meeting pursuant to the provision of Section 260 of the Companies Act, 1956 and Article No. 118 of the Articles of Association of the Company.