1960 - The company was incorporated as a Pvt. Ltd. company under the name Indian
Flange & Mfg. Co. Pvt. Ltd., on 12th February. It was a wholly owned subsidiary of
American Flange & Manufacturing Co. Inc., USA. The name was changed to Tri-Sure
India (Pvt.) Ltd., on 22nd April. It was converted into a public limited company on 24th
- American Flange & Manufacturing Co. Inc., USA, developed substantial technical
know-how for the manufacture, insertion, application and the use of Tri-Sure closure
parts and provided this information, under licence or other arrangements, to its
subsidiaries and affiliated companies throughout the world.
1973 - 2,53,335 shares held by American Flange & Mfg. Co. Inc. USA and 1 share by its nominee
Tri-Sure Products Inc. of New York.
1975 - Before the public issue of capital during April, the Company was a wholly owned
subsidiary of American Flange & Manufacturing Co. Inc., USA.
- After the public issue of capital the non-resident holding in the company reduced from
100% to 49% whereupon the Company ceased to be a subsidiary of American Flange &
Manufacturing Co. Inc., USA (AFMC).
- 2,63,680 shares issued (prem. Rs 7.50 per share) of which 25,000 shares each to LIC & UTI
and 41,341 shares to Indian directors and employees were reserved for firm allotment.
1,72,339 shares offered to the public in April 1975. Subsequently, the entire premium
amount refunded to shareholders.
1988 - 1,82,900 shares issued for cash at par to Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd.
1991 - The company has also signed a MOU with W.S. Atkins,an expert energy consultancy
firm operating in the U.K. and Europe for possible collaborative work on large projects
in India and export of energy management services in South East Asian countries.
- Freight Container Repair Division was set up as a 100% Export Oriented Unit for serving
the container repairs and maintenance needs of international container leasing companies.
1992 - The Company has set up a Technical Services Centre at Perungudi, Madras , which will,
apart from developing tailormade products, look into customers, specific problems and
offer cost effective solutions.
1993 - The Company diversified into manufacture of state of the art valerex plastic drums through
acquisition of the project set up by Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd.
- Name of the Company was changed from Tri-Sure India, Ltd., to Balmer Lawrie-Van Leer
Ltd., with effect from 28th December.
- The 'Valerex' is an unique State of the Art' technology in plastic containers being introduced
in India for the first time by the Company under technical collaboration with Van Leer B.V. of
- The Company proposes to set up a separate joint venture with equity participation from
Fuchs Petrolub AG of Switzerland (their investment company) to market the entire range
of Fuchs and Balmerol brands of lubricants and greases which would be manufactured
at Company's existing/expanded and ungraded manufacturing facilities at Calcutta,
Bombay and Madras.
- Balmer Lawrie (UK) Ltd. signed a long term agreement with world renowned container
leasing company-Transamerica Leasing Inc., USA to manage its fleet.
- Proposed Join Venture Company with IOC & NYCO S.A., France Agreements were
signed between Balmer Lawrie.
- The Company set up a Training-cum-Production Centre for Socks Knitting and
operationalised a Lift Irrigation Project in one of the backward districts of West Bengal.
1994 - 32,57,268 rights shares issued in prop. 1:4.
- The Company has entered into a marketing tie-up and technical services agreement
with a world renowned multinational-Hispano Quimica SA, Spain
1995 - Major effort was put into commissioning of import equipment in the Flange Pressing,
milling and threading and stabilization of imported plug line.
- A number of new customers in the lube oil sector were added. In view of this, the Company
proposed to double its capacity.
- 14,39,748 shares allotted on conversion of 14% PCDs.
- The Company has entered into strategic alliances with several MNCs who are global
leaders in their respective fields of activity.
1996 - Multinational Companies who have entered the country in Lube oil business got their 20 L
containers from the Company. Capacity of the plant was increased by adding injection
moulders and welders.
- V-200 production had a full year of operation and the Company achieved more than 50%
capacity utilisation in the very first year of operation.
- 40,07,016 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each allotted due to conversion of Part 'B' of 14%
PCD of face value of Rs 50.
- The Company formally opened on its state-of-the-art container freight station at Manali
near Chennai port.
1997 - The Company received the National Award for its outstanding achievement in export of
packet tea and tea bags for 1995-96.
- The Company is setting up two more Container Freight Stations at Chennai and Mumbai.
1998 - The Company is setting up a Barrel Plant at Panipat to cater to the requirement of Panipat
Refineries of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- On 21 January, the Company executed an agreement with National Securities Depository
Ltd., and MCS Ltd. (the Registrar and Share Transfer Agent of the Company).
1999 - The Company has received approval of the Reserve Bank of India for setting up of
full-fledged money changing business in different cities throughout the country, which shall
enable it to add value to customer service.
2000 - The Company has closed down its units at Manali and Aroor as part of its business
restructuring exercise. The production (of industrial fat) at the Taloja unit was phased
out in 1999-2000 while the company's entire equity stake in Balmer Lawrie Fuchs Ltd.,
a joint venture, has been sold.
- The ICRA had assigned the highest safety rating of 'A1+' to the Rs five crore
commercial paper programme of the company.
- Similar agreement has been executed by the Company and MCS Ltd., with Central
Depository Services (India) Ltd., on 31 January.
-Mr S N Mathur gives his resignation from the post of chairman at the company.
-Government finalizes on the disinvestment of the company, and directs it to release an advertisement for buying the equity stake.
-Ties up with Switzerland firm for outbound tourism.
-Appoints Shri S K Mukherjee as the Director Finance of the company.
-Mr P Radhakrishna appointed as the Director on the board of the company.
-Shri N P Singh appointed as the WholeTime Director of the company.
Shri A K Jain has been appointed as a Director of the Company with effect from September 29, 2003, as a nominee of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India. The earlier nominee, Shri A K Srivastava, has stepped down from the Board.