1978 - The Company promoted by the Murugappa Group was incorporated on
17th August at Chennai as a Public Limited Company. The Company
leads with Hire purchase and leasing services for acquiring
industrial equipments, computers and consumer durables.
1980 - 1,00,000 shares taken up by promoters, directors, etc. 1,50,000
shares offered at par to the public in February 1980.
1982 - 2,49,300 Rights shares allotted at par (prop. 1:1).
1985 - 4,99,300 Rights shares issued at par in prop. 1:1.
1986 - The Company offered 6,00,000 Rights equity shares of Rs 10 each
linked to 4,00,000 - 15% secured redeemable non-convertible
debentures of Rs 100 each in the proportion 30 equity shares and
20 debentures: 50 equity shares held. The debentures are
redeemable at a premium of Rs 5 per debenture on the seventh year
from the date of allotment of debentures.
1990 - 8,00,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2. 16,00,000 Rights
equity shares issued to holders prior to bonus issue (prem. Rs 3
per share; prop. 1:1). Additional 2,32,035 shares allotted to
retain oversubscription. Another 8,00,000 shares offered (prem.
Rs 3 per share) to employees (only 15,400 shares taken up).
1991 - The Company augmented its product range by introducing automobile
finance under its Credit Cars Scheme.
- 265 No. of equity shares allotted (prem. Rs 3 per share).
1992 - The subsidiary Companies Cholamandalam Software Ltd. was
amalgamated with Cholamandalam Factoring Ltd. and Cholamandalam
Housing Finance Ltd. and Cholamandalam Lease and Hire Purchase
Ltd. ceased to be the subsidiaries of the Company.
1993 - During February-March, the Company offered 42,47,700 No. of
Rights equity shares of Rs 10 each for cash at a premium of Rs 20
per share in the proportion 1:1 (all were taken up).
- Another 2,12,385 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each were offered
at a premium of Rs 20 per share to the employees' on an equitable
basis (only 4,400 shares taken up).
- The Company has augmented its product range by introducing 'Gold
Nest-Child Education Fixed Deposit Scheme'.
1994 - The Company made an issue of Commercial Paper to the extent of
Rs.12 crores which was rated by CRISIL as P1+, the highest rating
for the issue of Commercial Paper.
- The Company has already set up a Merchant Banking Division during
the year under review which is expected to contribute
significantly to the product range and profits for the future.
- The Company undertook to diversify into related financial
services like Mutual Funds, securities trading and risk
management through subsidiaries/joint venture companies.
1995 - During January, the Company offered 42,49,900 No. of equity
shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 45 per share in the
proportion 1:2 (all were taken up).
- The Company also issued through prospectus 42,49,900 No. of
equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 90 per share of
which 8,49,900 shares and 8,49,900 shares to banks and financial
institutions. Of the balance, 8,49,900 shares were reserved for
allotment on a preferential basis to NRIs (all were taken up).
Remaining 17,00,200 shares were issued to the public (all were
1996 - The Company signed a MOU with Guardia Royal Exchange Insurance
Group, U.K. for risk management services.
- Cholamadalam Factoring Ltd., Cholamandalam Securities Ltd. &
Cholamandalam Hazard Management Ltd. are subsidiaries of the
- Cholamandalam Hazard Management Limited (CHML), a Joint Venture
with M/s. Hazard Management Limited of U.K., has commenced
operations to provide advisory services in the area of industrial
1997 - The Company's Joint Venture with Cazenove Fund Management Limited
of U.K., Cholamandalam Cazenove AMC Limited launched its maiden
mutual fund scheme in February.
- The Company has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with
Guardian Royal Exchange Insurance Group. U.K. for risk
- The maiden mutual fund was launched.
1998 - The Company, the financial services arm of the Rs.2,600 crore
Murugappa group and the UK-based Guardian Royal Exchange plc
have signed up a joint venture agreement to undertake risk
- The Company, part of Murugappa group has opted for a dual
rating, and has obtained the best rating from ICRA.
1999 - The Company has joined hands with the world's largest insurance
company, the $655bn (assets under management) Axa S.A.-France,
to enter the non-life insurance business in India.
- Cholamandalam is also in talks with Axa to forge an agreement
where the premium incomes received by both insurance ventures
will be managed by its 51:49 joint venture Cholamandalam
Cazenove AMC Ltd.
2000 - New Ambadi Investments Pvt Ltd (NAIL) has acquired 35,29,959
(14.9 per cent) equity shares of the company and consequently its
present holding stands at 29,45,113 (17.32 per cent).
- ICRA has assigned an MAAA rating to the Rs. 50 crore medium term
debenture programme of the company.
- Cholamandalam Distribution Services Ltd. has become a wholly owned
subsidiary of the company effective September 28 subscribing a private
placement of 15,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at par of CDSL.
- Cholamandalam Distribution Services a subsidiary of Cholamandalam
Investment and Finance Company, has signed a MoU with HDFC Standard Life
Insurance for distributing latter's products.
- Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company approved the changes in the Board: (1) Appointment of Mr A Vellayan as an Additional Director of the Company. He will be a non-executive Director on the Board.(2) Appointment of Mr Partho S Datta Director as a Wholetime Director of the Company w e f April 01, 2002.
-Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd has informed BSE that the Board has issued secured redeemable non-convertible debentures and short term redeemable non convertible debentures up to an amount of Rs 2000 million each on private placement basis to mutual funds/institutions/banks/bodies corporate/individuals or other agencies.
-Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd has approved an issue of 35,00,000 cumulative redeemable preference shares of Rs 100/- each aggregating to Rs 350 million for cash at par on a private placement basis to persons being institutions/banks/bodies coporate/mutual funds/individuals and other agencies, whether incorporated or not.
2003 - De-listing of the company's equity shares from the Coimbatore Stock Exchange Ltd, subject to the approval of the shareholders of the company.
-Increase in Authorised Capital from Rs 700 million to Rs 1600 million .
-The BoD of the Company at its meeting held today (December 8, 2003) has approved the issue of 1,26,49,517 Equity Shares of the company of Rs 10/- each at a premium of Rs 45/- in the ratio of 1 equity share for every 2 equity shares held to the existing equity shareholders of the company on a rights basis.
-Board approves issue of NCD
-inks securitisation pact with HDFC
-raises Rs 100 cr through debentures issue
- International Finance Corporation (IFC), Washington extends Rs 100-crore credit line to the company
- The global distribution system provider, Amadeus, has tied up with Cholamandalam Finance to offer online travel insurance solutions
-Board approves the issue of 1,26,49,517 Equity Shares of the company of Rs 10/- each at a premium of Rs 45/- in the ratio of 1 equity share for every 2 equity shares held to the existing equity shareholders of the company on a rights basis
- invokes Rs 150-m placing short term bonds
-Board approves delisting of its shares from Coimbatore Stock Exchange
-Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Ltd has informed that the equity shares of the company has been delisted from Coimbatore Stock Exchange wef March 31, 2004.
- Cholamandalam AXA Risk Services Ltd (CARSL) has become a subsidiary of the Company with effect from August 27, 2004
-The Acquirer is making an Open Offer to the public shareholders of Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd ('Target Company') to acquire upto 8,189,295 shares, representing in aggregate 20% of the issue and fully paid-up equity share capital of the Target Company assuming that the maximum number of new shares pursuant to the Preferential issue were allotted, at a price of Rs 150 per share ('Offer Price') payable in cash subject to terms & condition.
-The company has issued rights in the ratio of 3:8 at a premium of Rs. 130/-Per Share.