- 1,35,000 shares issued without payment in cash.
- The Company was Incorporated on 4th January, at Calcutta. The
Company Manufacture lead and electric storage batteries, Exide motor
vehicle batteries, Dagenite batteries and other batteries for railway
coaches under the name Exide Ironclad and Shednought, heavy duty
traction batteries, special batteries, for aircraft duties and for
radio and signal equipment; and also stationary accumulators as
required by power stations, telephone exchanges and other electrical
- 6,80,000 shares issued (Prem. Rs 5 per share): 2,00,000 shares to
Chloride Overseas, Ltd. and 4,80,000 shares to the public.
- 2,36,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in the proportion 1:5.
- 3,54,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in the proportion 1:4.
- The Company was granted a letter of intent to double the production
to 2,40,000 batteries per annum and also to establish a container plant
to make it self-sufficient. The polypropylene moulding plant was also
- 13,54,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in the proportion 1:5.
- With effect from 2nd August, the name of the Company was changed from
Associated Battery Makers (Eastern) Ltd., to Chloride India, Ltd.
Effective from 12th October, 1988, the name was again changed to
Chloride Industries, Ltd.
- 18,88,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in the prop. 8:9.
- A letter of intent was received in December for setting up of a 100%
export oriented it for the manufacture of special types of storage
batteries at Haldia, a notified backward area in Midnapore district of
- 15,04,500 Bonus shares issued in prop. 3:8.
- The Company proposed to set up a new unit for the manufacture of
various types of industrial batteries at Haldia on a land adjacent to
the 100% export unit.
- 9,38,100 shares issued at a premium of Rs 10 per share. 7,43,340
shares as rights to resident Indian shareholders in prop. 1:3; 1,00,000
shares to LIC, UTI, ICICI, GIC and its subsidiaries and 94,760 shares
to the Company's employees and Indian directors. These shares were
allotted in October, 1978.
- The project for the special grade microporous battery separators was
commissioned in June. The 100% export unit was commissioned in March.
- 16,13,650 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:4.
- The Industrial battery factory and container manufacturing plant were
commissioned on 24th August.
- 48,40,950 Bonus shares issued in prop. 3:5.
- 77,45,520 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 3:5.
- Application were made for licence to manufacture uninterrupted power
- A letter of intent was received for the manufacture of uninterrupted
power supply systems. Steps were taken to develop 'Solar operated'
energy systems. Prototype cells for batteries used in underwater
propulsion were developed.
- The Company issued non-convertible debentures for about Rs 5 crores
on private placement basis to financial institutions to partly meet the
cost of its modernisation programme. These debentures are redeemable
at a premium of 5% in 1996.
- The Company considered entering into areas of battery related items
such as Uninterrupted Power Supply Systems, Non-conventional solar
energy systems, etc.
- The Company's overall sales improved by 17% to Rs.204 crores mainly
due to increase in volume of batteries sold and normal increase in
- The Haldia Unit was presented with an award for achieving a high
increase in productivity by confederation of Indian Industry. New
products namely 'Exide Freedom and Exide Trucking were introduced.
- 5,00,000 - 14% non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each were issued.
These debentures are redeemable at a premium of 5% in 3 equal annual
instalments from 1988 to 2000.
- Due to difficulties experienced in the erstwhile Soviet markets, the
Company entered the markets of UAE, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Paraguay and
- There was a drop in export mainly due to severe crash of prices in
Middle East as well as Carbon re-exports from Middle East Market
Centres. Some of new products launched were E88 battery for heeps and
tractors, the Exidelite batteries for emergency lighting and inverter
system, the Exide solar battery for solar lanterns.
- The Company undertook to set up a factory in or near Haryana to cater
to all OE manufacturers. It was also proposed to expand and modernise
the existing factories at Shamnagar, Chinchwad and Haldia with
Shin-Kobe technology with a view to increasing the automotive capacity
by 60% and motorcycle capacity by 160%.
- The Company along with its nominees hold the entire issued capital
viz., 1,50,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each of Chloride and Exide
Batteries (Eastern) Ltd. The name of this subsidiary was changed to
Exide Products Ltd., with effect from 2nd April, 1982. Mine Safety
Appliances Ltd., is an associated company of the Company.
- Chloride Overseas, Ltd., the holding company holds along with its
nominees 1,04,72,000 No. of equity shares of the Company.
- Some of the new products introduced during the year, were the freedom
battery range with a two year warranty for Maruti, range of Motorcycle
batteries expanded from 7 types to 21 types.
- The Company entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
Shin-Kobe for manufacture of valve regulated lead acid storage
(maintenance free) batteries to cater to the telecommunication power
and UPS markets.
- Another agreement was entered into with 'Varta' Germany for transfer
of technology relating to most sophisticated submarine and industrial
- The Company introduced the first truly maintenance free batteries in
line with international specification.
- During November/December, the Company issued 41,30,944 rights equity
shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 40 per share (in proportion
1:5) along with a warrant exercisable at any time between 12 to 18
months after each issue at the discretion of Board of Directors. The
warrant entities the holder to apply for one equity share at a premium
of Rs 60 per share. All were accepted.
- Effective 25th August, the name of the Company was changed from
Chloride Industries Ltd., to Exide Industries Limited.
- The Company introduced a range of new batteries for four-wheelers,
two-wheelers and the industrial segment.
- The number of shares held by the holding company were 104,72,000.
- 40,48,152 No. of equity shares allotted against detachable tradeable
warrants issued with Rights shares.
- The Rajan Raheja-controlled Exide Industries, the country's largest
automotive battery manufacturer, is exploring the acquisition route for
stepping up production capacities.
- Hitachi has a technical collaboration with Exide.
- Exide has already entered into agreements with many of the
newly-established automobile projects like Telco's Mercedes Benz,
Daewoo's Cielo and Opel Astra.
- Exide Industries Ltd, the country's largest storage battery company,
has inaugurated a state-of-the-art factory at Hosur factory.
- Exide Industries Ltd, the country's largest storage battery company,
has set a turnover target of Rs.1,000 crore for itself to be achieved
by the turn of the century.
- Exide recently set up a new plant at Hosur in Tamil Nadu to
manufacture state-of-the-art range of maintenance-free industrial
batteries Powersafe in technical collaboration with Shin-Kobe Electric
Machinery Co Ltd of Japan, the makers of Hitachi batteries, to
complement the production of VRLA batteries at its pilot plant at
Haldia which commenced production in November 1996.
- The 50th year of India's independence also marks 50 years for Exide.
The 50th year of India's independence also marks 50 years for Exide.
- The credit rating for the fixed deposit programme of Exide Industries
has been upgraded from MAA+ to MAA by the Investment Information and
Credit rating Agency (ICRA). In MAAA rating has also been assigned to
Rs.15 crores, 18-month NCD programme. The Rs.30 crore CP programme was
assigned an A1+ rating. All the above ratings indicate highest safety.
- The company has introduced a new battery, named Invaking, for
inverters and 'TV Queen' for television viewing. The company is in the
process of signing a fresh agreement for technical assistance with Shin
Kobe of Japan for auto batteries in the current year.
- The company manufactures products under brand names like Exide, Dynex
and Index. Of these, Exide is the largest selling brand.
- The company had set up a green field facility at Hosur in
collaboration with Shin-Kobe of Japan.
- The company occupies the top slot in terms of market share in the
automotive storage battery industry.
- Exide is currently in the process of signing a fresh agreement with
Shin Kobe of Japan, Hitachi's manufacturing arm, for technical
assistance for auto batteries.
- The Company introduced several new products for different ranges of
vehicles and started producing Submarine batteries for the Russian
range along with the German HDW type.
- The Company signed a technical collaboration agreement with Oldham
Crompton Batteries of UK in an effort to introduce newer products for
the Miner's Cap Lamp Batteries.
- 71,67,454 shares of Rs.10 (prem. Rs.90 per share) issued on rights
basis in the ratio of 1:4.
- Exide Industries Ltd (EIL), the largest manufacturer of lead acid
storage batteries in the country.
- Exide Industries Ltd, has forged a strategic alliance with its
Japanese technical collaborator Shin-Kobe Electric Machinery, part of
the Hitachi group for pooling in their expertise and become a global
sourcing base for new automotive giants.
- The company is now the largest VRLA battery manufacturer in the
country and is the global supplier to American Powerconversion, the
largest uninterrupted power supplier manufacturer in the world.
- The Company has launched its emergency service BAT-Mobile at
- The Company has ruled out the possibility of entering into a joint
venture with Austrian firm Jungfer GmBH for manufacturing battery
- The Company proposes to amend its articles of association to make a
provision for buyback of shares.
- The Company proposes to acquire share-holding in two lead acid
storage battery companies, which are currently operating out of
Singapore and Sri Lanka.
- Icra has assigned a MAAA rating to the Rs 100 crore medium term
debenture programme of Exide Industries Ltd.
- Standard Furukawa, a brand owned by the company has unveiled the
Sonic range of maintenance-free automotive batteries based on the
hybrid alloy plate technology.
- Exide Industries is super-charging its batteries that drive
automobiles. It has tied up with automobile major Mahindra & Mahindra
to become the OEM supplier of electric batteries for its EVs electric
-Exide Industries, ITC Ltd, Indian Aluminium and Tata Iron and Steel are
four companies which are elected to category 'B' of CII national council
from eastern region.
-Exide Industries comes up with a new strategy of combining the advantages
of cost and technology,aiming at differentiating its products from others
in the market.
-Exide signs a sourcing agreement with companies like UK, Neitherlands and
-Associated Battery Manufacturers (Ceylon) Limited, Sri Lanka became a subsidiary consequent to acquiring further 12.50% Equity holding.
-Exide to enter Afghanistan through wind, solar energy route
-Exide Industries to provide CRM exercise to resolve battery problems
-Exide launches new GenX batteries
-Investment in 50% shareholding of ING Vysya Life Insurance Company Limited.
-Launch of SAP-CRM in Industrial SBU.
-Exide picks up 12.5 pc stake in Lanka bank arm
-Exide Industries India, the leading storage battery manufacturer in the country is joining hands with Exide Pakistan Ltd for jointly promoting Exide brand in Pakistan
-Exide poised for massive Haldia unit expansion
-Launch of SAP-BW in Industrial SBU.
-Caldyne Automatics Ltd becomes 100% subsidiary consequent to acquiring the balance 49% shareholding.
-Investment with 26% shareholding.in CEIL Motive Power Pty Ltd. A Joint Venture in Australia
-Acquired 100% stake in Tandon Metals Ltd.
-The company has issued rights in the ratio of 1:15 at a premium of Rs 29/- Per Share.
-Acquired 51% stake in Lead Age Alloys India Ltd
-Exide takes over 51pc stake in lead smelting co
-Exide wins CFO of the year award in automotive and auto-ancillary category from CNBC-TV18
-Exide Haldia had a rich haul at the CII awards ceremony in Kolkata for 08-09 winning five awards in different categories.