1931 - The Bank was incorporated in 1931 as Travancore Federal Bank
Limited to cater to the banking needs of Travancore Province by a
small group of local citizens. It embarked on a phase of
sustained growth under the leadership of K.P. Hormist. The bank
along with six other banks co-promoted Bharat Overseas Bank Ltd.
1949 - The Board of Directors of the Bank was reconstituted and fresh
Articles of Association were adopted and the Bank was renamed as
The Federal Bank Limited.
1993 - During March, the bank issued 25,25,000 No. of equity shares of
Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 25 per share in proportion 1:2.
Another 5,25,000 No. of equity shares were offered to the
employees on an equity basis. Only 30,47,894 shares of the above
taken up (2,106 shares kept in abeyance). Another 30,00,000 No.
of equity shares were allotted at a prem. of Rs 30 per share to
ICICI associates companies.
1994 - During March, the company offered to the public 35,45,500 shares
at a prem. of Rs 80 per share. Additional 1,72,600 shares were
allotted to retain oversubscription. During January 1996, the
bank issued 74,08,122 rights equity shares (prem. Rs 140; prop.
1:2) 73,51,734 shares taken up.
1995 - 50,50,000 No. of equity shares were issued and paid-up of which
3,318 No. of equity shares were issued for consideration other
than cash on 27.1.1965 to shareholders of erstwhile St. George
Union Bank Ltd., Puthenpully, Kerala.
1996 - The Company undertook as 3 year Information Technology Strategic
Plan 2000 for automating its branches in a phased programme.
1997 - The bank has developed 'Fedsoft' the automation software package
in-house which is being used by 40 branches. An Automatic Teller
Machine (ATM) was installed at the Vile Parle branch in Mumbai
during the year.
- The bank is the second largest private sector bank with a network
of more than 360 branches which till recently was restricted to
the southern States.
- The Aluva-based Federal Bank Ltd. has set up its site on the
World Wide Web on the Internet, Information about the bank and
its products and services can be accessed form
- Federal Bank has infused an additional Rs.10 crore in the
equity capital of its investment banking subsidiary, Fedbank
Financial Services in 1996-97.
- The Federal Bank Limited, the largest scheduled bank in Kerala,
had developed its own computer software named FedSoft.
- The software was developed by the bank in collaboration with
Datanet Corporation, Bangalore and the package was based on
state-of-the-art technology and the latest workflow concepts.
- Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI)
has entered into a strategic alliance with two Kerala-based
private sector banks-Federal Bank Ltd (FBL) and South Indian
Bank Ltd (SIBL)-to share business interests and strategies.
- Federal Bank Ltd, the largest scheduled bank in Kerala, with a
network of over 350 branches throughout the country.
- The Federal Bank Limited, the largest private sector banking
network in the country, has taken over an Abu Dhabi-based
financial institution Exchange Bank dealing in foreign exchange.
- The Federal Bank, the largest banking network in India in the
private sector, is working on various customer-friendly schemes
in the wake of the liberalisation globalisation measures
unleashed by the government.
1998 - The Federal Bank Limited has launched a new deposit scheme
named Fed Flexi.
- The Kochi-based Federal Bank will open 100 more branch spread
across the country by the turn of the century. With this, the
total branch strength of the bank will cross 500.
- The Alwaye-based Federal Bank has launched three tailor-made
1999 - As part of its plan to widen the retail credit portfolio, the
Aluva-based Federal Bank has launched three new schemes to
promote travel and tourism, fund short and long-term needs of
the trading community and to finance payments of premium of
LIC's Bima Nivesh.
- Federal Bank, one of the country's old private banks, opened
its first specialised branch for asset recovery in Mumbai on
December 16, '99.
- The Bank has also set up a target of Rs 86 crore in the current
year for the recovery of the non-performing assets (NPAs).
- The bank has set up an asset recovery department at it corporate
office at Alwaye and strengthened asset recovery cells at
2000 - Federal Bank is to foray into internet banking and E-commerce in
the month April. The Bank will be he first among the old private
sector banks in the country to diversify into internet banking.
- The Bank has entered into marketing pacts with some commercial
agencies for its E-commerce business.
2001 - The Aluva-based Federal Bank has tied up with Escotel Communications to
launch mobile banking services using SMS technology.
- Federal Bank has launched a new deposit scheme christened as 'Suraksha' for
-Unveils Anywhere Banking provides the convenience of doing transactions from 300-plus interconnected branches
-ICICI Bank divests 0.31% stake in Federal Bank.
-Federal Bank cuts Home loan interest rates.
-Achieves 100% interconnectivity among all its branches
-Launches Equity Subscription Scheme, a new retail product for financing the IPOs and public issue applications of its customers
-Acquires a prime property in Chennai-owned by Ramco Super Leathers under Securtisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Act. The property, spread over six grounds and 26,000 sq ft on Anna Salai, is estimated to have a market value of Rs 16 crore.
-Federal Bank unveils treasurer's calendar
-Federal Bank join hands with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd. for premium collection through its branches
-Federal Bank introduces new Fed e-Pay services
-JRG Securities Ltd has forged alliance with Federal Bank Ltd for providing loans for subscribing to initial public offers (IPOs).
-FedBank gets award for best use of IT
-Federal Bank keen on merger with southern entity
-Federal Bank to acquire Ganesh Bank
-Federal Bank rolls out savings deposit schemes
-Federal Bank gets banking tech awards
-Federal Bank bags YMCA award
-IDBI Bank, Fortis join Federal Bank for risk JV
-The company has issued rights in the ratio of 1:1 at a premium of Rs.240/- Per Share.
-Federal Bank buys stake in LVB, South Indian
-Federal Bank to set up office in Abu Dhabi
-Federal Bank Ltd has informed that Reserve Bank of India vide letter dated July 08, 2008 approved the appointment of Shri. P R Kalyanaraman, Executive Director as Whole Time Director of the Bank for a period of 3 years w.e.f. January 03, 2008.
- Federal Bank in association with Geojit Financial Services has unveiled its online trading product called Fed-e-Trade as part of the bank's efforts to provide various products and services to customers. However, the retail clients of the bank will now have the access to online trading in equities as well as the derivatives, IPOs and mutual funds through Geojit's online trading platform.
- Federal Bank Ltd has informed that Dr. M Y Khan has been appointed on the Board of the Bank as a non-executive, independent director.
- Federal Bank has launched a call centre facility where the 24-hour service of the contact centre would be available on dialing a toll-free number 18004251199.
- Federal Bank unveiled FedSelect, a premium product for their high networth individual (HNI) customers.
- Shyam Srinivasan has taken charge as the Managing Director & CEO of Federal Bank with effect from September 23.
- Federal Bank Ltd has appointed Shri. Shyam Srinivasan as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of the Bank.