- The Company was incorporated on 16th of August.
- The Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL), one of India's leading Public
Sector Enterprises, is the largest gas transmission and marketing
company in the Country. The Company, possessing a well developed and
efficient infrastructure, was established as a wholly owned Company of
the Government of India in August, 1984 with 100% equity held by the
Goverment of India and, within a short time, it has grown into one of
the 'Navratna'enterprises and is ranked among the top ten companies in
India. The various activities of the Company range from Gas marketing
and distribution through trunk and regional systems, to retailing of
Natural Gas to Gas processing for production and marketing of LPG,
liquid hydrocarbons and Petrochemicals.The equity pattern in the
Company has also changed and the Government today holds about 67% of
the equity in the Company.
- GAIL was adjudged the third-best PSU and awarded the prestigious
'Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Shield' for the year 1994-95 in the category
of PSUs in Region 'A'. This award was presented by the President of
India on September 14.
- The pipeline to Mathura Refinery along with 165 kms of 36' line was
commissioned on December 27, to enable supply of gas to Mathura
Refinery well ahead of schedule.
- For excellent performance in promoting the spread of Hindi as
Official Language, GAIL was adjudged the best PSU in Region 'A' and
awarded the INDIRA GANDHI RAJBHASHA SHIELD for the year 1995-96.
- Two propane recovery plants at Vijaipur were commissioned to
optimally utilise various components of natural gas.
- Pipeline to NTPC Zanore (Phase II) and RSEB Ramgarh (Phase II) have
been commissioned for gas supply to NTPC and RSEB. In addition, a
number of small pipelines were also commissioned.
- GAIL signed a 'Principles of Agreement' with Brown & Root Inc, USA,
on March 8, for developing the project of gas import from Myanmar and
other countries in the region to the east of India, for bringing gas
for markets in eastern and southern regions.
- The Company entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- The Company launched the Pilot Project for the supply of piped gas to
Domestic and Commercial consumers in the city of Delhi.
- The Company has entered into an MOU with the Ministry of Petroleum
and Natural Gas.
- The Company has commissioned a study to prepare a precise and
crystallised vision statement, integrated with strategic business plan,
growth models and annual plan perceiving the changing environment.
- The Company was received well by international investors; however,
due to the unexpected crash of international stock markets,
international offer of the equity was deferred by the Government of
- The Company signed an agreement with M/s National Security Depository
Ltd to facilitate shareholders to trade in the shares of the Company in
the dematerialised form.
- During the year the gas processing unit (GPU), offsite and utilities
of the Petrochemical plant at Pata were commissioned.
- The Company has entered into Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with
the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for the last seven years.
- The Company has set up its own Research and Technology Development
(R&TD) Group to undertake research and technology development
activities for optimal and effective utilisation of natural gas in the
- During the year four major projects were commissioned. These are :
- UP Petrochemical Complex at Pata
- Gas Rehabilitation and Expansion Project (GREP)
- LPG plant at Usar
- LPG plant at Lakwa
- The UP Petrochemical Complex at Pata was commissioned in March.
- In the LPG area, the company has successfully commissioned its plants
at Usar (Maharashtra) and Lakwa (Assam) with designed capacity of
139,000 tonnes and 85,000 tonnes respectively.
- In Delhi, the Company has formed a Joint Venture Company with BPCL
named Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL).
- The Company bagged first prize under Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Shield
Scheme for the years 1996-97 and 1997-98 for excellence in the area of
implementation of the Official Language Policy.
- In the area of Gas Technology, the company has signed a Joint
Collaboration Agreement with AMOCO along with Indian Oil Corporation
Limited (IOCL) and Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP) for DME India
- The Four production unit of the Company viz., the unit at Vijaipur,
Vaghodia, Usar and its petrochemical plant in Uttar Pradesh have won
the top safety award from the British Safety Council for the 1999.
- Gas Authority of India Ltd (GAIL) has signed an agreement with the
Karnataka State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation
to study the techno-economic feasibility of setting up a gas pipelin to
serve various end-users in Karnataka and Kerala.
- The Company will lay a high-capacity fibre-optic cable network
alongside the Jamnagar-Loni liquid petroleum gas pipeline.
- The Company has proposed to develop a gas network in Rajasthan for
facilitating the supply of fuel for industrial and economic development
in the state.
- Chennai's Tamil Nadu Electricity Board has signed an agreement with
Gas Authority of India, for supplying 4.5 lakh standard cubic metre of
natural gas per day for the power project at Kuttalam in Nagapattinam
- The Company has to set up the world's largest network of gas
pipelines, covering the whole of Rajasthan.
- The Gas Authority of India Ltd and the Tripura Natural Gas Company
Ltd. signed an agreement for the supply of increased quantity of
natural gas to the domestic sector in Agartala.
- Gas Authority of India, the nodal gas pipeline company in the
country, is diversifying into the telecom sector and has tied up with
Bharti Telesonics, BPL Broadband, Shyam Telecom and Escotel Mobiles for
leasing bandwidth capacity.
- The company is in talks with the National Iranian Gas Company for a
possible joint venture for importing and marketing of 5 million tonnes
of LNG from Iran.
- The Company has entered into a joint co-operation agreement with
Total Gas and Power India and Tata Electric Company for the import of
LNG at Trombay.
- GAIL signed a $36 million deal with Gazprom of Russia for development
and exploration in the north-east coast shallow water offshore in West
- GAIL and Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastrucure Corporation signed
an MoU for supplying natural gas to the domestic and commercial
consumers through pipeline under the town gas supply scheme.
- Gas Authority of India Ltd. has signed an agreement with Hindustan
Petroleum Corporation Ltd. for transportation of LPG along the
- Chairman and Managing Director of the company Mr. C.R. Prasad, has
been conferred 'Distinguished services' award by the National
Association of Corrosion Engineers International India Section.
- Gas Authority of India Ltd. and Power Grid Corporation of India
(PowerGrid) have signed a memorandum of understanding for leasing out
bandwidth capacity of their combined telecom network to various telecom
- GAIL owns and operates over 4000 km of pipeline and has about 95%
market share in the Natural Gas business in India. Also, more than half
of the total Urea production in India is Gas-based out of which GAIL
contributes more than 90%, thus making a significant contribution to
India's agriculture sector also.
- The Company plans to enter the Telecom Sector as 'Carriers-Carrier'
through leasing of bandwidth. The Company would be leasing the
bandwidth to telecom companies using its optic fibre system available
on the HBJ pipeline, the Jamnagar-Loni LPG Pipeline and by adding new
optic fibre systems in various sectors. During the year 2000-2001, the
company became the first company in the country to obtain the License
of Infrastructure Provider - category II for leasing of bandwidth and
has already commissioned the link between Delhi and Vijaipur in Madhya
- The Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation will sign a 'gas
co-operation agreement' with Gas Authority of India Ltd. for the
pipeline project from the proposed LNG terminal in Kochi.
- - Gas Authority of India Ltd (Gail) has signed its first equity
participation agreement for the power sector by picking up 12 per cent
equity in the Gujarat State Energy Generation Ltd (GSEG).
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) and Gas Authority of India
Ltd (GAIL) have signed a 'transport service agreement' (TSA) for
transportation of LPG through the Vizag-Secundrabad pipeline.
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) has undertaken integrating its
gas pipeline network in the country through capacity expansion and by
adding new pipelines
- Gas Authority of India Ltd (GAIL) has paid a dividend of Rs 227.8
crore to the Government for 2000-01.
-The Centre on 29th October ruled out divestment of its stake in Oil
and Natural Gas Corporation, Indian Oil Corporation and Gas Authority
of India, saying these flagship companies will continue to be under its
control in medium to long term. We have made it clear that government
will not dilute its control in these three flagship companies in view
of national oil security, union minister for petroleum and natural gas
Ram Naik told.
- The Company also completed the worlds longest and India's first cross
country LPG Pipeline. The Company's plant at Gandhar also commenced
trial production in March 2001.
- The Company proposes to lay a 600 kms pipeline from Vizag to
Secunderabad at an estimated cost of Rs 490 crores.
-Mr. Ravi Saxena,Director on the Board of GAIL, passes away
-GAIL, ONGC enter alliance for international practices to include both supply end and consumer end contracts
-GAIL signs Memorandum of Cooperation with National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) of Iran
-Wins the two top Safety Awards from the OIl Industry Safety Directorate (OISD), for its safety performance during 1999-2000 and 2000-2001
-Acquires 10% stake in gas project owned by Daewoo International
-Signs an MOU with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. for setting up a JV company for distribution of natural gas/ auto-LPG/ piped gas in the cities of Andhra Pradesh
-Signs a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enter into a tie-up to take up the development of a spur line and pipeline network in different towns with Greater Calcutta Gas Supply Corporation Ltd (GCGSL)
-GAIL's Agartala city gas feeder pipeline inaugurated
-Gail enters into energy co-operation deal with French company Gaz de France (GDF)
-Enters into collaboration with Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) for providing co-operation in the field of research and development for sustained energy growth in the nation
-Signs agreement with Rajasthan State Power Corporation (RSPC) for the supply of gas for the Rs 876 crore Mathania power plant, near Jodhpur
-Starts Delhi-Mumbai Optical Fibre Connectivity
-HPCL ties-up with Gail, ONGC to purchase LPG
-Discontinues supply of Natural Gas to Kajaria Ceramics Sikandrabad plant
-Approves Dahej-Uran Pipeline through Hazira
-Agrees to production swap deal with Haldia Petrochemicals Ltd. (HPL)
-Ties up with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL) for auto LPG,CNG distribution
-Obtains govt nod to acquire 25-pc stake in Kakinada LNG project
-GAIL, HPL tie up for production-cum-swap marketing deal
-Ties up with Energy Infrastructure India Ltd. (EIIL) for transportation of LPG
-Shell Gas BV offers 29 pc equity in two firms (Fayum Gas Company (FGC) and Shell Compressed Natural Gas Company (SCNG), located in Egypt ) to Gail
-Signs co-operation agreement with Turkey-based Botas Petroleum Pipeline Corporation for joint participation in cross-country pipelines projects, development of gas processing facilities and compressed natural gas (CNG) projects in India, Turkey and third countries
-Enters into a product exchange agreement with Haldia Petrochemicals Ltd. (HPL) to strengthen the marketing alliance
-Clinches a deal with three fertiliser and power firms (Nagarjuna Fertiliers, Lanco Group's power project in Kondapalli and GVK's Spectrum power project, all in Andhra Pradesh) for selling natural gas from Ravva satellite fields at market price
-Embarks on Rs 400 crore expansion
-Strikes oil, gas near Ahmedabad in the Cambay basin
-Company and the PY-1 Consortium of Mosbacher India LLC (MIL) and Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd. (HOEC) have signed an agreement for gas sales and transportation
-Begins laying down Dahej-Uran pipeline
-Construction work of the Visakhapatnam-Secunderabad LPG pipeline gets completed before the schedule time
-Shell invites Gail to take 24-pc stake in Egypt Offshore block
-Union Ministry of Petroleum decides not to privatise GAIL
-Shri Badal K Das Additional Secretary & Financial Advisor to Ministery of Petroleum & Natural Gas has been nominated as part time director on the Board of GAIL India Ltd wef September 2, 2003.
-Sought government approval to monetise its 2.5 per cent holding in Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
-Central government nominated Gail as monpoly builder for cross-country gas pipelines.
-Naik unveils gas conservation programme
-The fortunes of ONGC-Videsh (OVL) and Gail (India) Ltd rose today with a major gas find in the Myanmar offshore area.
-Gail enters into gas cooperation agreement with UP govt
-Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation inks pact with GAIL for regassified LNG
-Gail and Uttar Pradesh State Industrial Development Corporation enter into agreement for gas supply
-GAIL ties up with Coal India to expand Dankuni gas project
-Gail in fray with BPCL over Mgmt matters in Pune Gas Joint Venture
-GAIL (India) Ltd has switched over to the e-banking system installed by the State Bank of India for all its major payments.
-Govt. comes out with offer for sale of upto 84,565,160 equity shares of Rs 10 each priced at Rs 195 per share
-GAIL India Ltd has on April 5, 2004 signed a Development Agreement with Tata Power Company Ltd & BP to jointly participate in evaluating the Dabhol gas and power opportunity.
-GAIL ties up with DuPont for sale of pipe coating system
-Gail ties up with Sumitomo Chem for mosquito nets production
-Gail join hands with Shell to produce Syngas
-Gail India Ltd (Gail) has re-affirmed its interest in a slew of projects totalling Rs 10,450 crore in Kerala by signing a gas cooperation agreement (GCA) with Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation (KSIDC)
-GAIL inks agreement with prosperous LNG customers in Kerala
-GAIL acquires stake in NATGAS of Egypt
-GAIL signs pact to undertake feasibility study on national gas grid
- GAIL (India) Ltd, in association with Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation (GSPC), strikes oil in the Cambay basin (block CB-ONN-2000/1) in Gujarat.
-GAIL India ties up with with Gasunie Engg BV of Netherlands for cooperation in the fields of engineering trading, training, research and development, pilot projects and providing energy solutions to industrial customers
-GAIL sets up subsidiary company in Singapore
-KMML ties up with GAIL for LNG supply
-GAIL sign pacts with RCF for supply of gas
-GAIL ties up with SAIL
-NCDEX inks MoU with GAIL for natural gas spot trading
-GAIL signs MoU with Spectra International on February 15, 2005
-GAIL signs deals with Bangla, Iranian firms
-GAIL signs MoU with SPECTRA International, Bangladesh
-GAIL signs MoC with Ergo Exergy Technologies Inc
-GAIL inks pact with NPC, Iran
-Gail signs MOU with Cosmos of Bangladesh
-GAIL inks MoU with BDCL to undertake pipeline projects in Bangladesh
- Gail India Ltd and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOC) sign a Joint venture agreement on May 11, 2005 for implementation of city gas projects in Agra and Lucknow.
- Company successfully implements innovative 'Gas Management System' (GMS), the Web Enabled system which ensures better co-ordination and total transparency for the first time in India.
-Gail & BIS launches Development of National Standard & Code of Practice for Natural Gas pipeline systems
-GAIL has received the coveted NPMP award in recognition of excellence in Enterprise Category for Dahej-Vijaipur Pipeline Project
-GAIL joins hand with Leyland for CNG biz
-Gail India & EIL signs MoC for pursuing Natural Gas business overseas
-Gail India ventures into Marketing Crude Oil segment
-Gail (India) has sold its first consignment of crude oil to Indian Oil Corporation's Koyali refinery in Gujarat
-Gail India & IOCL form Green Gas Ltd
-Gail India signs production sharing contract for two NELP V blocks
-GAIL signs historic pact for equity participation in A-3 Block, Myanmar
-Gail India Ltd has announced GAILTEL, RAILTEL and Power Grid Corporation have inked pact for strategic alliance to face competitive scenario in telecom business
-Gail ties up with Belgian firm for LNG technology
-Gail join hands with Powergrid, Railtel to create fibre network
-Two plants of Gail receives British Safety Council Sword of Honour award
-GAIL opens diagnostic centre
-SP Rao appointed as Gail CMD on Aug 27,2006
- Gail India Ltd has announced that Shri. Mohan R Hingnikar, the Company's Director (Human Resources) will take over additional charge as Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of the Company on November 01, 2006. He succeeds Shri. S P Rao, CMD and Director (Projects) who superannuated from service on October 31, 2006.
- Gail India Ltd has informed that Shri. Mohan R Hingnikar, the Company's Director (Human Resources) has taken over additional charge of Chairman & Managing Director on November 01, 2006. He has succeeded Shri. S P Rao, CMD & Director (projects) who superannuated from service on October 31, 2006. Shri. Santosh Kumar has joined as Director (Projects) on November 01, 2006.
-Gail India Ltd has announced that the Company has received the Oil Industry Safety Directorate (OISD) Award for its Hazira- Vijaipur - Jagdishpur (HVJ) pipeline for the year 2005-06.
- Gail India Ltd has announced that the Company has launched 'e-tendering' as its e-Governance initiatives in the Company. The e-tendering was launched on February 13, 2007 by the Company's CMD, Dr. U D Choubey in the presence of all functional Directors and senior officials of the Company.
-GAIL unveils e-tendering facility.
-Gail India Ltd and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in gas sector on March 15, 2007 .
-Gail India Ltd delists securities from 'The Delhi Stock Exchange Association Limited' (DSE) with effect from March 24, 2007.
-Gail India Ltd has appointed Shri. S Sundareshan, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG), as Part-time Director (Government Nominee) of the Company, in place of Shri. Anil Razdan, Special Secretary (MoPNG).
- Gail (India) Ltd has formed a joint venture with Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) for gas distribution in Kolkata and other towns.
-Gail India Ltd has announced that the Company and ONGC on July 24, 2007 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for formation of a Joint Venture.
- Gail India signs MoU with Transparency International India for Integrity Pact with Contractors.
-Gail India Ltd and Reliance Gas Transportation Infrastructure Ltd (RGTIL) have signed an Agreement for Transmission of natural gas from the Krishna Godavari (KG) basin.
-GAIL signs Gas Cooperation Agreement with Government of Puducherry
-The Company has issued Bonus Shares in the Ratio of 1:2.
-Government awards marketing rights of PMT gas to GAIL as Government of India nominee
- The 30' diameter, 576 km long Dahej-Panvel-Dabhol pipeline with a design capacity od 12 MMSCMD commissioned.
- Commercial production of oil from Cambay basin blocks CB-ONN-2000/1, having equal participation by GAIL and GSPC commences.
- Expansion of Petrochemical Plant at Pata for increasing capacity from 310,000 TPA LLDPE/HDPE to 410,000 TPA completed.
- Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BPCL), subsidiary of GAIL with partners as Government of Assam, Oil India Limited for setting up 2,80,000 MT Gas Cracker Project at Lepetkata District Dibrugarh, Assam at an investment of Rs, 5,460 Crores.
- MoU with Reliance Industries Limited signed for joint cooperation in petrochemicals.
- GAIL forms a Joint Venture Company (JVC) with China Gas Global Energy Holdings Limited. GAIL and China Gas are equal partners in this JV which has been registered in Bermuda. This is the first Joint Venture Company of GAIL abroad. The JVC will pursue opportunities in CNG, City Gas, Pipeline, CBM, LNG and E&P projects.
- GAIL signs MoU with ITERA Oil and Gas Company of Russia
- GAIL and HPCL signs JV agreement for City Gas projects in Rajasthan
- GAIL and Indian Oil ink MoU for JV in City Gas Distribution in West Bengal.
- GAIL sets up a subsidiary (GAIL Gas Limited) for City Gas Distribution and City Corridor Business.
- GAIL Gas limited wins the rights for rolling out city gas distribution projects in Meerut, Sonepat, Dewas and Kota.
- GAIL signs gas cooperation agreements with Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka and a MoU with IFFCO for setting up of Gas based Power Plant in Barauni.
- A special commemorative postage stamp released on the occasion of GAIL's silver jubilee by Her Excellency, Smt. Pratibha Patil, President of India.
- GAIL consortium is awarded one onland block in Cauvery during NELP-VII bidding round.
- GAIL signs MoU with IOCL for setting up of petrochemical plant at Barauni and laid the foundation stone of the 6th gas cracker furnace at Pata plant.
- GAIL establishes natural gas pipeline connectivity to Pune city gas, consumers of Usar region, City Gate stations at Noida, Greater Noida, Gurgaon and Faridabad and East-West pipeline at Oduru (A.P), Mhaskal (Maharashtra) and Ankot (Gujarat).
- GAIL establishes LPG pipeline connectivity to Essar Oil Refinery at Jamnagar IOCL bottling plant at Vijaipur and Gandhar and BPCL bottling plant at Jaipur.
- Gail (India) Ltd has informed that the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India, vide letter dated March 15, 2010 has appointed Shri Sudhir Bhargava, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, as Part-time Director, Government Nominee of the Company w.e.f. March 15, 2010.