- The Company was originally established and developed by Godfrey
Philips Ltd., London, a publicly owned cigarette and tobacco
manufacturer incorporated in U.K. with extensive international
operations. The Company manufacture and sell cigarettes, smoking
tobacco and cigars.
- The brands manufactured and marketed by the Company are Black & White
Kingsize Filter, Four Square Kingsize Filter, Four Square Regular
Filter, Cavanders Navy Cut Regular, Red & White, Anand, Leader,
Cavanders Filter and Capital. In addition, the Company manufacturers
and sells Vergin Gold and Philip's Gold Cigarette tobacco.
- The Company made an arrangement with International Tobacco Co. who
opened a factory in Northern India to manufacture on the Company's
behalf. Upon the merger of D. Macropolo & Co. Ltd., with the Company,
International Tobacco Co. Ltd., became a subsidiary of the Company.
- The Mumbai High Court approved a Scheme of Amalgamation of
International Tobacco Co. Ltd., with the Company.
- 2,00,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in the prop. 1:2.
- Philips Morris International Financial Corporation, a wholly owned
subsidiary of Philip Morris Inc., acquired full ownership of Godfrey
Phillips Ltd. Philips Morris International, one of the five operating
companies of P. M. Inc., manufacturers and markets cigarette products
through affiliates and licensees throughout the world.
- The trademarks assigned to the Company by Godfrey Phillips Ltd.,
include "Cavanders", "Abdulla", "De Reszeke", "Brand Master" and "Pay
- The Company also entered into registered user agreement and
trademarks including "Four Square" and "North Pole". These agreements
were with subsidiaries of Godfrey Phillips Ltd., and M.P. Inc.
- A Scheme of Amalgamation of D. Macropolo & Co. Ltd., with the Company
was approved by the Mumbai High Court on 30th June, with retrospective
effect from the close of business on 30th June, 1969.
- The Scheme of amalgamation of D. Macropolo & Co. Ltd. envisage the
issue of 83,490 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each of the Company to
the shareholders of D. Macropolo & Co. Ltd., in the proportion of 5
shares of the Company to every share held in D. Macropolo & Co. Ltd.
- An application was made to the RBI for their approval for eligible
for allotment of shares for non-resident shareholders in D. Macropolo &
Co. Ltd. Approval was received in 1973.
- Godfrey Phillips Ltd., 112, Commercial Street, London, E.I. England
was the holding company till the issue of shares to the public.
- In July, 6,83,490 Bonus equity shares issued (prop. 1:1). 9,74,560
No. of equity shares then issued (prem. Rs 4 per share); (i) 1,00,000
shares to UTI; (ii) 1,09,813 Right shares to Indian (prop. 1:2); (iii)
50,000 shares to Indian directors/employees and (iv) 7,14,747 shares to
- During June-July, Philip Morris International Finance Corporation,
U.S.A., and five other non-resident foreign shareholders offered for
sale to the public 2,05,522 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each of the
Company at par in order to reduce the non-resident holding in the
Company to a level not exceeding 40%.
- 3,34,506 Rights Equity shares issued at par in prop. 1:7. Only
2,58,156 shares taken up.
- The Company entered into an agreement with Philip Morris Inc., to
undertake a complete investigation of the manufacturing plant and
provide know-how and technical assistance.
- The Company successfully commenced during the year the sale of
specially blended and branded loose teas from an exclusive franchised
outlet called "Tea City" in Delhi.
- The Company also proposed to develop a number of its properties which
are presently being used for residential and storage purposes, into
residential and commercial complexes.
- The Company issued 3,50,000-14% secured redeemable non-convertible
debentures of Rs 100 each on rights basis to the then existing resident
equity shareholders in the ratio of one debenture for every five equity
- As per the terms of the issue, the debentures were to be redeemed in
three annual instalments of Rs 35 each at the end of 7th, 8th and 9th
year from the allotment date with the inclusion of premium of Rs 5 per
debenture in the last instalment.
- The Company proposed to take up another project for the development
of commercial complex at New Mumbai.
- The Company increased the rate of dividend on preference shares from
6.875% to 14% per annum effective for the financial year ended 31st
March, 1992 onwards.
- 25,99,696 Bonus equity shares issued (prop. 1:1).
- The work on the New Mumbai project had not commenced due to delays in
the development of infrastructural facilities of sewage, water supply,
roads, etc., by CIDCO and also a delay in commencement of the Railway
services between CBD Belapur-Vashi-V.T. etc.
- 51,99,392 Bonus Equity shares issued (prop. 1:1).
- As at 31st March, the Company held 20,000 No. of equity shares of the
- City Leasing and Finance Co. Ltd., Chase Investments Ltd., Manhattan
Credits & Finance Ltd., Kashyap Metal & Allied Industries Ltd., are
also subsidiaries of the Company.
- 14% Pref. shares redeemed.
- The Company launched a new small cigarette forthwith under the brand
name `Commands' in April.
- The Company launched a new premium filter cigarette called originals
with an imported charcoal filter for the first time in the country. It
also launched Red & White super 60mm long filter cigarettes.
- The Company continued to launch new and innovative brands in the
market. During the year under report, the Company launched a new
premium filter cigarette called ORIGINALS with an imported charcoal
filter for the first time in the country. It also launched RED & WHITE
SUPER 60 MM long filter cigarette.
- The Company plans to launch Tea Bags in Oman, and also set up a Tea
Blending and Packaging unit as a Joint Venture operation in Kazakhstan
in the current year.
- Our main factory at Andheri, Mumbai is the first complete cigarette
manufacturing plant to have been awarded the ISO 9002 Certificate in
-Godfrey India launched its premium cigarette brand 'Jaisalmer'.
-Unveils new brand of imported cigars
- Godfrey Phillips India Ltd (GPI), the second largest player in Indian cigarette industry, has launched Maxus brand of cigarettes
-Godfrey Phillips join hands with hotels, stores to market high-end cigars
-Godfrey Philips rolls out slim cigarettes
- Godfrey Phillips India Ltd - Appointment of Company Secretar.
- Godfrey Phillips enters pan masala category.
- Godfrey Philips moves north with the broader market movement.
- Modi to acquire majority stake in GPI.
- Godfrey Phillips India Ltd has informed BSE that Credit Rating Information Services of India Ltd (CRISIL) has reaffirmed ratings of the Company with respect to the various Bank Facilities availed by the Company.
- Godfrey Philips has Registered Office of the Company has been shifted from its present location at Chakala, Andheri (East), Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400099 to a new location at Macropolo Building, Ground Floor, next to Kala Chowky Post Office, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Road, Lalbaug, Mumbai - 400 033 Telephone No.:- 022- 61952300 Fax No. :022-61952319.
- Board recommended a Dividend of Rs. 40/- per equity share of Rs. 10 each.
- The company has appointed Ms. Bina Modi as Additional Director of the company.
- Rabale Factory won the Gold Award at the Greentech Safety Awards, 2014
-The prestigious FICCI Quality Excellence Gold Award for Manufacturing in the year 2014 was won by Guldhar Factory
-Godfrey Philips India has splits its face value from Rs 10/- to 2/-
-Rabale Factory has been awarded with the Greentech Environment Gold
-Rabale also won the Silver Award at the prestigious IRIM Global Manufacturing Competitiveness