- The Company was incorporated on 23rd December as a private limited
company and was converted into a public limited company on 12th
September, 1991. It was promoted by Manoj Tirodkar, G.R. Tirodkar and
- The Company manufactured telecommunication products. It extended its
range of products to include fax machines, modern key telephone
systems, wireless mobile telephone systems, V-Band Viax instant access
communication systems etc.
- The Company undertook distribution and servicing of telecommunication
products. Subsequently, the company entered into tie-ups with Tata
Keltron Ltd., India Telecomp Ltd. and internationally with V-Band
Corporation USA, Lane Telecommunication Ltd. UK etc. Whole range of
sophisticated instruments were introduced.
- The Company set up seven service centres all over the countries,
three in Mumbai, one each in Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Nagpur.
- The company proposes to have modern testing equipments to test the
printed circuit boards. Equipments such as PCB diagnostic equipments,
LCR sortester, distortion meter and level meter etc. were procured.
- 12,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each issued to promoters,
directors, their relatives etc. 18,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs
10 each were then issued at par in April 1992 of which 90,000 shares
reserved for allotment on preferential basis to employees. Balance
17,10,000 shares issued.
- During April-May, the company issued 17,06,250-15% secured fully
convertible debentures of Rs 35 each for cash at par on Rights basis in
proportion 1 deb: 2 equity shares held. Another 28,95,000 - 15%
debentures of Rs 40 each were issued through the prospectus as follows:
- (i) 18,71,250 debentures to promoters, directors etc. on preferential
basis; (ii) 2,50,000 debentures to ICICI on firm basis. Of the
remaining 50,000 bedentures were issued on preferential basis to
employees. Balance 7,23,750 debentures were issued to the public.
- Part A of Rs 10 of each debenture was converted into 1 equity share
of Rs 10 each after 6 months from date of allotment. Accordingly
46,01,250 shares allotted.
- Balance Rs 30 (Rs 25 in case of Rights issue) was converted into 1
equity share of Rs 20 (Rs 15 in case of Rights issue) after 17 1/2
months from date of allotment of debentures.
- On 10th October, the company issued 70,00,000 warrants to promoters,
their friends and associates companies. Warrantholders exercised their
right to convert these into 70,00,000 No. of equity shares at a price
of Rs 50 per share.
- 2,00,000-17.5% cumulative convertible preference shares of Rs 100
each were allotted during the year on private placement with Bajaj Auto
Ltd. These have a maturity period of 18 months.
- International Global Tele-Systems Ltd., (IGTL) is a subsidiary of the
Company. Mauritius and Elber Trading Pvt. Ltd. is a subsidiary of
- The Company made foray into software development and Export. The
company started executing I-Trade CommNet and Logistics Tracking System
(LTS) projects. The I-Trade CommNet aims to establish electronic
exchange of information and documents which is currently being
exchanged manually amongst the entities of cargo community in India by
using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) technology.
- The Company issued FCCBs worth Swiss Francs (SFr) 60,000,000 and out
of these the company had received FECBs worth SFr 2,30,000 for
conversion into equity shares.
- Accordingly SFr 2,00,000 were converted into 64026 shares on
30.6.1997 and another SFr 2,00,000 were converted into 64026 No. of
equity shares on 11.7.1997. In addition 73,630 No. of equity shares
were issued at a premium of Rs 79 per share on conversion SFr 10,000.
- On 29th August, 1,28,052 No. of equity shares were allotted at a
premium of Rs 79 per share on conversion of SFr 10,000. Another 3201
No. of equity shares at a premium of Rs 79 per share were issued on
conversion of SFr 10,000.
- Global Tele-Systems Ltd. (GTL), has signed an agreement with National
Securities Depository Ltd. (NSDL), to get its securities admitted for
- GTL has signed Bipartite Agreement with NSDL to the effect that the
shares of GTL would be available for dematerialisation process and
first private sector telecom company to do so. With this, the
shareholders of GTL would be in a position to hold equity shares in
- The company has strategic alliances with Samsung Corporation and
Muratec for their range of fax machines, Northern Telecom for its range
of PBX, Ericsson for cellular phones and turnkey solutions, Nokia for
turnkey cellular projects, Maxon for cordless phones and Alcatel for
turnkey projects and fibre-optic solutions.
- Global Telesystems Ltd has tied up with Iscor of the US to provide
advanced integration products like fax systems, E-mail equipment and
electronic data interchange (EDI) in India.
- The company has also been awarded a contract from Tata Communications
for running a quality audit of its telecom towers for the cellular
network in the Andhra Pradesh circle.
- Global Tele-Systems Ltd has introduced for the first time in India
the GC 455, a two-line cordless phone.
- Global Tele-Systems has also launched its GC 477 cordless phone with
digital answering machine. It has two voice mail-boxes for separating
personal messages and business messages, 25-channel auto selection,
intercom, and voice day/time announcement at the beginning of each
- GTSL had recently tied up with the US-based GE Information Systems,
under which the companies will together develop a source code, on which
applications would be developed and exported.
- The company has entered into alliances with AFNET, which will
distribute all of AFNET's traffic into India, and with UNIFI
Communications to distribute fax traffic.
- In June, the Company placed privately 5,000,000 Equity Shares of Rs.
10/- each for cash, at a premium of Rs. 95/- per share.
- Mr. Sadanand D. Patil and Prof. Sudhakar C. Sahasrabudhe were
appointed effective from 5th September, and Mr, Dipak K. Poddar was
appointed on 27th October, as Additional Directors.
- During the year under review, 2,00,000 Cumulative Redeemable
Preference Shares of Rs. 100/-each aggregating Rs. 2 Crores which were
placed privately with Bajaj Auto Ltd. had been redeemed at par.
- Global Tele-Systems, which is a part of the Rs 500-crore Global
group, has tied up with UK-based Silverslate International Ltd, for its
software and Internet business group for providing specialised telecom
- The Mumbai-based Global Tele-Systems Ltd has entered into a strategic
partnership with the US-based General Electric's General Electric
Information Services (GEIS).
- Microsoft Corporation of USA has recently certified Global
Telesystems Ltd (GTL) as competence centre on Internet and e-commerce
businesses. GTL has thus become the only company in India to have been
accorded this status.
- The Company has issued 2,00,000 Cumulative Redeemable Preference
Shares of Rs. 100/- each aggregating Rs. 2.00 crores. These Preference
Shares have been placed privately.
- The Company has allotted 4981295 No. of equity shares at a premium to
FCCB holders consequent upon exercise of right of option for conversion
of FCCBs worth Swiss Francs 1070000.
- The Company has signed a MoU with Vysya Bank Ltd. in connection with
utilisation by Vysya Bank Ltd. of e-commerce payments processing
infrastructure of the company.
- The company is launching a state-of-the-art call centre at Mahape in
Navi Mumbai in October for servicing large off-shore firms.
- The International Global Tele-Systems Ltd. of Mauritius, the
wholly-owned subsidiary of Global Tele-Systems, is acquiring an
undisclosed equity stake in The Voice Company based in the UK.
- IGTL has entered into a joint venture with Al-Nasser LLC in the
Middle East for engineering services. It has also acquired a strategic
stake in an international telecom value added service provider i.e. The
Voice Company Pte. Ltd.
- Oracle Software India Ltd., the wholly owned subsidiary of the Oracle
Corporation of the US entered into a strategic tie-up with the Global
Tele-Systems Ltd. for addressing the high growth application service
provider market in the country.
- The Company has allotted 35,000 No. of equity shares under ESOP upon
exercise of right of option for conversion of warrants.
- The Company has proposed to acquire an unlisted company Global
Electronic Commerce Services Ltd. in its bid to create the largest
e-commerce entity in the country.
- The Company allotted 30,496 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each for
cash at a premium in terms of the employees stock option scheme upon
exercise of right of conversion of warrants into equity shares by the
- The Company had acquired two software companies - Thermax Systems and
Software, an associate of Thermax group and Fine Infotech, a company
focused on banking products - in a Rs.15 crore all stock deal.
- Global Tele Systems has allotted 85,000 equity share of Rs.10 each
for cash at a premium in terms of the employees stock option scheme
upon exercise of right of option or conversion of warrants into equity
shares issued under the scheme into equity shares.
- The Company allotted 83474 No. of equity shares of face value of Rs.
- The Company has entered into an MOU for a joint venture with Enron to
build a state-of-the-art fibre optic broadband network.
- The Company received a Silver Plaque from the Institute of Chartered
Accountants of India for the Best Presented Accounts for entries
received from non financial private sector companies for the year
- Mr. Manoj G. Tirodkar, Executive Vice Chairman, became the first
Indian to win the World Young Business Achiever Award for the year 2000
in Orlando, USA, from Worldcom, USA.
- The Company has received letter from T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc.,
for acquisition of shares of the company. Shareholding of T. Rowe
Price Associates Inc. in the company on behalf of itself and its
subsidiaries, has gone up to 38,26,675 shares, 8.79% of te paid up
equity share capital of the company.
- Amalgamation of Global Electronic Commerce Services Ltd. with the
company. will be at the ratio of one equity share of GTL (Rs 10 each)
for every six of GECS.
- The Board of Global Electronic Services and Gloal Tele-Systems have
approved a share-swap ratio of 6:1 after the merger of the two
- Enron India has tied up with Global Tele-Systems and Maharashtra
State Electricity Board for connecting major towns in the state through
optical fibre network using power transmission lines.
- Global Tele-systems is all set to acquire 100 per cent equity of
Thermax Systems & Software, an infotech company belonging to the
Pune-based Thermax group.
- Issue of Allotment of 1,00,000 No. of equity shares of the
shareholders of Thermax Systems & Software Ltd. in terms of Scheme of
Acquisition of the bsiness of the company.
- The Company has 856,375 outstanding warrants issued its employees as
of September 30, under ESOP scheme.
- The Company has signed a `professional services agreement' with Cisco
System Inc., world leader in the networking technology for the
- The Company has entered into MoUs with several leading banks for
providing ASP and Technology and software Support, and activities
related to that continue un-affected.
- Allotment of up to 2,65,28,600 equity shares to the shareholders of
Global Electronic Commerce Services Ltd. on amalgamation with the
-GTL has won the Goldeb Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate
Governance in the private sector category.
-GTL Board has approved for the allotment of 5000 warrants to the eligible
employees under the Employee Stock Option Scheme.
-GTL Board has approved for the scheme of merger of Redington Mauritius Ltd
with the company.
-The board of directors of GTL have approved for the proposal for issue of
fresh equity of 14.3cr shares at the price of Rs.150 per share to the Chanrais.
-Mr.Vijay N Paranjpe has relinquished officer as whole time director and
director of the company.
-GTL Ltd and Tata Teleservices has been shortlisted by Andhra Pradesh government
to manage the information assets created by state as part of its e-governance initiatives.
-GTL Ltd has entered into partnering agreement with GBS. LLC premier Enterprise Wide
Outsource provider based in the US.
-GTL Ltd appoints Dr Michael Clark as the Chief Executive Officer wef July 3, 2004.
- Alcatel partners with GTL for enterprises business in South Asia
-"Nortel N power Partner of the Year 2005" Award from Nortel Networks
-"Most Significant Competition Breakthrough 2005" Award from Nortel Networks
- "Best Process Compliance Year 2005" Award from Nortel Networks
-GTL Ltd has appointed Mr Manoj G Tirodkar as Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of the Company,
-Acquisition of UK Based Genesis Consultancy
- Listing of GTL Infrastructure Limited, a spin off from GTL as part of the restructuring process
-Opens office in Thailand
-Bags first project in Africa
-Bags BSR Award for Corporate Governance - Business for Social Responsibility
-PresidentÂs award to Mr. Charudutta Jadhav, a visually impaired GTL employee
-"APAC Partner of the Year 2006" Award for Oracle E-Business Suite Special Edition
-"The Best On time Renewal Partner in the Year 2006" Award from Oracle Support Services
-GTL hives off Enterprise Networks and Managed Services business to Orange Business Services, an arm of France Telecom.
-GTL wins the prestigious Golden Peacock Global Award for Corporate Governance
-GTL enters into a strategic alliance with Ericsson UK, to offer Managed Network Infrastrucutre Services to customers in UK and Ireland
-GTL International, a 100% international subsidiary of GTL, acquires SCS, a Network Deployment Company in USA
-GTL successfully completes the buy back of shares
-GTL International, a 100% international subsidiary of GTL, acquires ADA Cellworks, the leading Network Planning and Optimization player in Asia Pac
-GTL Wins Golden Peacock National Training Award 2008.
-GTL receives the prestigious Greentech Environment Excellence Silver Award 2008.
-GTL forms Strategic Alliance with Vanu Inc to Conduct Shared Active Infrastructure Field Trials in India.
-GTL wins Outstanding Contributor to Corporate Responsibility Award from Nokia-Siemens.
-GTL becomes No. 1 Telecom Turnkey Company of the year in V&D 100 Survey.
-GTL features amongst top 10 companies in the S&P ESG Index 2009.
-GTL wins the ÂPerformance ExcellenceÂ Trophy from IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Award.
-GTL entered into a ÂGlobal Supplier Co-operation AgreementÂ with Huawei for worldwide co-operation in Network Services.
-GTL extends its capabilities to serve power utilities, bags Rs 324 Cr order from Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Co Ltd (MSEDCL).
-GTL - Information regarding Income-tax Search in the Company's premises
-Global Corp, Tulip buy 26% Stake in qualcomm JV.
-Shares of GTL group companies such as GTL Ltd. and GTL Infrastructure have rallied more than 10 per cent each in the opening trade.