- The Bank was Incorporated on 30th August. A new private sector Bank
promoted by housing Development Corporation Ltd. (HDFC), a premier
housing finance company. The bank is the first of its kind to receive
an in-principle approval from the RBI for establishment of a bank in
the private sector. Certificate of Commencement of Business was
received on 10th October 1994 from RBI.
- The Bank transacts both traditional commercial banking as well as
investment banking. HDFC, the promoter of the bank has entered into an
agreement with National Westminister Bank Pc. and its subsidiaries
(Natwest Group) for subscribing 20% of the banks issued capital and
providing technical assistance in relation to the banks proposed
- 70 No. of equity shares issued to subscribers to the Memorandum &
Articles of Association on 30th August 1994. On the same date
500,00,000 equity shares were allotted to HDFC promoters. 509,20,000
shares were allotted to HDFC Employees Welfare Trust and HDFC Bank
Employees Welfare Trust on 22nd December, 1994.
- On 16.1.1995, 90,79,930 No. of equity shares were allotted to
Jarrington Pte. Ltd. Another 400,00,000 equity shares were allotted on
private placement basis to Natwest Group on 9.5.1995. 500,00,000
shares were allotted to the public on 9.5.95 (all were taken up).
- The Bank opened its first branch in Ramon House at Churchgate, Mumbai
on January 16th.
- The Bank has created an efficient operating system using well tested
- HDFC Bank has entered the banking consortia of over 50 corporates,
including some leading multinational companies, flagship companies of
local business houses and strong public sector companies.
- HDFC Bank has set up a state-of-the-art dealing room to handle all
transactions possible in Indian financial markets.
- The Certificates of Deposits were awarded a PP1+ rating which is the
highest rating for short term instruments indicating superior capacity
- The bank is one of the largest mobilisers of retail deposits through
its network of 20 branches. Its credit deposits ratio was 53.8%.
- The bank has set up a ultra-modern hub at Powai in Mumbai where the
bank's central computer is housed. This hub housed in 35,000 square
feet of space, houses data of all the branches and facilitates the
introduction of new products and services.
- HDFC has installed state-of-the-art systems to facilitate
inter-connectivity between branches and link up with on line system.
- The bank has also recently signed up as a depository participant,
under the newly set up NSDL, wherein the members clearing accounts
settlement for dematerialised shares can be done through the bank.
- HDFC Bank, one of the nine new-generation private sector banks, has
planned to set up an all-India on-line automated teller machine (ATM)
- HDFC Bank proposed to launch tele-banking for the first time in June
in Mumbai at its Chandiveli branch.
- HDFC Bank has drawn up plans to become a niche player in corporate
banking by sticking to top-rung corporates.
- HDFC Bank has become the first private sector bank to conclude a
structured interest rate option deal.
- HDFC Bank has launched its Versova branch, the 11th branch in Mumbai.
- HDFC Bank, as part of its expansion plans in the South, has opened
another branch in Chennai.
- HDFC Bank has entered into strategic alliances with 10 overseas banks
to provide customers with a wide range of derivatives including
interest rate and foreign currency swaps.
- HDFC Bank on October 14 introduced ATMs that converse in a regional
- HDFC Bank has introduced the Freedom Account for the average retail
customer located in the major metros as a means to wean away the
middle-income market from nationalised banks.
- HDFC Bank has launched an account in all its 28 branches across India
that seeks to free depositors from minimum balance requirement, for the
first time in the country.
- HDFC has introduced a new loan product for the payment of betterment
fees announced by the Bangalore Mahanagar Palike.
- HDFC Bank is all set to launch its debit card by April 1998.
- HDFC Bank has tied up with the Ahmedabad Stock Exchange (ASE) to act
as its clearing bank.
- HDFC Bank proposes to strengthen its branch network in Calcutta with
the addition of two new branches in the first quarter of the next
- HDFC Bank has signed an agreement with the National Stock Exchange
(NSE) which will give it a second charge over the brokers deposit for
providing loan against share facility to NSE brokers.
- The bank has also entered into a similar understanding with the
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) whereby the bourse will provide support for
recovery of money against the card for loan against share facility.
- The bank has also entered into 'Cirrus' arrangements by which all
master card holders across the globe will be able to transact at HDFC
Bank in India.
- The bank will also provide phone-banking facility in Bangalore. HDFC
has tied up with Visa International to offer its Debit Card.
- HDFC Bank Ltd has entered into a memorandum of understanding for a
strategic business collaboration with Chase Manhattan Bank.
- HDFC Bank has become the first bank in India to link up its automated
teller machine (ATM) network with all the three major payment systems
- HDFC Bank will be the first bank in the Asia-Pacific region to
connect the American Express (Amex) payment system.
- The HDFC Bank is expanding its ATM network to connect to American
Express Interchange based in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. With this
connectivity, HDFC Bank has become the first bank in the Asia-pacific
region to connect to the Amex Interchange.
- HDFC Bank was the first to sign up with AMEX in December of 1998.
- The Bank has tied up with ITC Threadneedle Mutual Fund to provide its
investors with the High Interest Fund (HIF), a facility to encash their
units through the bank's Automated Teller Machines in addition to a
cheque book facility also to be provided by the bank.
- Sony India Ltd (SIL) has joined hands with HDFC Bank to work out an
innovative car finance package under which a sony car audio system
would be installed to a new car for no additional upfront cash outflow.
- The bank has decided to issue 1,33,10,000 equity shares of Rs. 10
each to HDFC and a wholly-owned subsidiary of it at a price of Rs. 94
- The bank will also issue 13,70,000 equity shares to India Private
Equity Fund and 51,20,000 shares to Indocean Financial Holding, the two
equity funds controlled by Chase Manhattan Bank.
- HDFC Bank, has tied up with BPL Ltd to offer Internet-enabled
supply-chain management and business-to-consumer (B2C) e-commerce
services to corporates.
- Hutchison Max Telecom and HDFC Bank introduced the country's
first-ever mobile-banking services in the city.
- HDFC Bank also signed a memorandum of understanding with Singapore
Telecom's e-commerce arm Sesami.Com Pvt Ltd.
- The Bank latter also entered into a partnership agreement with
National Computer Systems, the e-commerce unit of Singtel.
- A new company called SESAMi.com (India) has been formed by a
strategic alliance between HDFC Bank and Singapore Telecom's e-commerce
company SESAMi.com, to offer e-commerce solutions for the Indian
- HDFC Bank has a tie-up with Maxtouch for giving the facility to the
latter's customers in Mumbai. This is the first and only service of
this sort in the country, he said.
- HDFC Bank is also launching an online electronic banking solution
called Enet which will allow corporates to access their accounts over
the net and carry out trade related transactions and cash management
- HDFC Bank entered into a tie-up with Telco by which the bank would
provide preferential financing options for Tata's range of passenger
cars including the Indica, Sumo, Safari, Estate and Sierra.
- HDFC Bank allotted 1.98 crore shares of Rs 10 each at an issue price
of Rs 94 per share to promoters and strategic investors on March 29.
- HDFC Bank is also set to become the first bank in the country to
offer wireless application protocol (WAP) services to customers.
- SkyCell Communications Ltd, one of the two cellular service providers
in Chennai, has launched 'Sky Banking', for which the company has tied
up with ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank.
- The bank has tied up with 12 utility companies nationwide including
BSES, MSEB, BEST, Orange, BPL and MTNL.
- The Bank has tied up with financial portals, e-brokerages and the
National Stock Exchange to enable broker payments for e-broking
- The Bank has set up 100 new electronic data capture (EDC) terminals
- HDFC Bank has launched its first B2C payment gateway which allows
Visa and MasterCard credit card-holders to do transaction online and
- CYBERITMALL.COM has joined hands with HDFC Bank to provide
VISA/MasterCard users with an online payment gateway solution to enable
them to have a secure eshopping experience.
- HDFC Bank plans to extend its mobilephone banking services introduced
in select metros to mobilephone broking when it introduces its Internet
on-line trading in July.
- HDFC Bank and portal clickforsteel.com have signed a memorandum of
understanding for offering online credit and services to facilitate
'post transaction' activities through the portal's 'allied services
- Indianfoline.com signed an agreement with HDFC bank for the use of
payment gateway to enable online financial transactions.
- HDFC Bank, in association with cellular service provider Orange, has
launched the entire range of mobile banking services and mobile
commerce services using wireless application protocol (WAP) technology.
- The Company has introduced a new scheme whereby it will provide loans
to individuals for payment of self assessment tax on their properties
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board has cleared the proposal of
the HDFC Group to enter into a joint venture with Singapore Telecom's
e-commerce company for providing a comprehensive range of
business-to-business e-commerce solutions to companies in India.
- The Company proposes to pick up an equity stake in Softcell Trade and
Technologies Ltd., a Mumbai-based software company.
- BPL Mobile has tied up with HDFC Bank to offer Internet banking
through the mobile phone.
- HDFC Bank launched 'eInstant Car Loans' a new scheme for offering
customers a range of net-enabled loan products.
- HDFC Bank launched depository services on the net.
- HDFC Bank tied up with NSE.IT, a wholly owned subsidiary of the
National Stock Exchange, for providing payment gateway services for the
latter's Internet trading operations.
- HDFC Bank has been identified as the best domestic commercial bank
for the second consecutive year by FinanceAsia.com, which provides a
network for financial decision makers.
- The Mumbai-based Geojit Securities Ltd. has tied up with HDFC Bank
for Internet trading of shares.
- Calcutta's cellular services provider Modi Telstra, and HDFC Bank
have entered into a collaboration to provide mobile commerce in
- HDFC Bank has got the Kerala-based Nedungadi Bank as its first
customer for its new joint venture company with I-Flex Solutions.
- HDFC Bank has set a target of attaining a business of over Rs 15,000
crore this fiscal mainly through expansion and new product launches,
including a credit card.
- HDFC Bank, in association with Tata Cellular, has launched Mobile
Commerce Service, for customers in Hyderabad and Vishakaptnam.
- HDFC Bank has tied up with about 25 equity brokerages for enabling
third party transfer of funds and securities through its
business-to-business portal -- 'e-Net'.
- The Bank has entered into an alliance with Deloitte Haskins and
Sells, a member firm of Deloitte and Touch, to offer banking services
to its non-resident Indian customers.
- HDFC Bank has launched its 123rd outlet at Delhi Stock Exchange
building at Asaf Ali Road.
- The Bank proposes to acquire up to 24.5 per cent stake in the MIEL
e-Security Pvt. Ltd., which is engaged in the business of developing
and marketing of security products and services for a range of
e-commerce and enterprises security applications.
- The Bank has tied up with Rajan Raheja-owned Hathway for providing
banking at home as part of the Net-over-cable initiative of the latter
- HDFC Bank launched its on-line bill payment facility in alliance with
the Maharashtra State Electricity Board has also begun to offer bridge
loans against fixed deposits of parent Housing Development Finance
Corporation the financial institution.
- HDFC Bank has tied up with portal brainvisa.com to retail education
loans to students.
- The Gujarat Cellular operator Fascel, has signed up with the HDFC
Bank to introduce mobile commerce for the first time in the State.
- HDFC Bank has tied up with BPL Mobile for mobile commerce facility.
- CricketNext.com, a sports e-commerce site has tied up with HDFC Bank
to provide an on-line payment gateways and marketing opportunities for
a wide range of cricket sports gear on its on-line shop BatNext.
- Singapore-based Growasia.com has entered into an understanding with
HDFC Bank and credit rating agency Icra, for picking up equity in the
company's Indian subsidiary Gasia.com.
- The Bank has launched 'Freedom - The e-Age Savings Account' for
cellular phone users.
- Spice Cell has tied up with Citibank N A, HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank
for mobile bill settlements.
- HDFC Bank and Cosmos Bank launched a co-branded ATM card.
- The Chatterjee Group-promoted Captech Online Ltd. has signed
memorandum of understanding with HDFC Bank and UTI Bank for setting up
a payment gateway for its debt negotiation platform, Riskxpress.com.
- HDFC Securities Ltd., promoted by the HDFC group with equity
participation from the Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd.,
HDFC Bank and Chase Capital Partners, has launched its brokerage
services for retail investors in the Capital.
- The HDFC Bank and Airtel launched their mobile-banking service
through WAP in Delhi.
- HDFC Bank has launched wireless application protocol-based
mobile-banking in Coimbatore and Trichy in association with Aircel.
- The Bank has opened its first branch in Aurangabad.
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance has entered into a memorandum of
understanding with the Chennai-based Indian Bank.
- The Bank has launched the international Maestro debit card in
association with Master Card.
- HDFC Bank will launch its credit card in June through link-ups with
MasterCard and Visa.
- LTtrade.com has entered into a strategic tie-up with HDFC Bank to
provide Net banking services to online investors.
- Standard Chartered Bank, HDFC Bank and Bharat Petroleum Corporation
have joined the eCash Forum which has been set up by the Smart Card
Forum of India.
- HDFC Bank has launched a new campaign for its eage savings account.
- HDFC Bank entered into a strategic tie-up with Tally Solutions Pvt.
Ltd. to offer online real time accounting services to small and medium
- The Bank has opened four ATMs outlets in Bangalore at Coles Road, RT
Nagar, Rajaji Nagar and Jaya Nagar on March 26.
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance has launched a 'Development Insurance
Plan' a low cost life insurance product developed specifically to meet
the needs of economically weaker sections.
- Two Directors, Mr. S.S. Thakur and Mr. Amit Judge, have resigned from
the board of the bank effective from March 30.
- HDFC Bank files with US regulators to list more than 11 million
American Depositary Shares on the New York Stock Exchange.
- HDFC Bank unveiled a new online account aggregation service 'OneView'.
- HDFC launched 'One View' service to customers
- HDFC Bank launched its 9th branch in Karnataka.
- HDFC opens its branch in Mangalore.
- HDFC Bank unveils Silver card in Hyderabad.
- HDFC Bank opens first overseas representative office.
- HDFC Bank unveils gold card
- Mediclaim facilities to HDFC Bank gold cardholders.
- HDFC Bank Ltd has informed BSE that Mr Deepak Satwalekar has submitted his resignation as Director of the Bank. The Board of Directors has accepted the same. The Board of Directors has co-opted Mrs Renu Karnad as Additional Director of the Bank.
- Mrs. Renu Karnad has been co-opted as an Additional Director of the Bank. Mrs Karnad shall represent the promoters of the bank i.e. HDFC Ltd. Also Mr. Deepak Satwalekar, Managing Director of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Ltd, has been on the Board of the Bank as nominee of HDFC Ltd since September 12, 1994 and shall complete the period of 8 yrs before the next scheduled board meeting. In view of the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, Mr. Satwalekar has submitted his resignation as Director of the Bank and the Board has accepted the same.
- HDFC Bank launched new products to its wealth management programme to increase its customer base. The bank introduced a non-interactive product named 'Financial Planner', which would be available for all its customers for an annual fee starting from Rs 10,000. The bank is offering fee based advisory programme to the 'mass affluent' segment, which was earlier offered to high net worth customers. The wealth management programme would cater to individual needs taking into account various factors such as customer's age, financial goals and risk profile, which includes equity, MFs and debt instruments such as RBI Relief Bonds.
- Orange JV with HDFC Bank.
- HDFC Bank unveils resident foreign currency account.
- HDFC Bank unveils co-branded credit card with e-Seva.
- The Board of Directors of HDFC Bank Ltd at their meeting held on January 15, 2003 approved the appointment of Mr. Arvind Pande as an Additional Director pursuant to section 260 of the Companies Act, 1956.
- EPFO JV with HDFC Bank for its pension distribution.
- HDFC enters into agreement with HDFC Bank to source housing loans.
- HDFC Bank, IRCTC in tie up for online railway booking.
- HDFC Bank inks pact with ANB for remittance service
- HDFC Bank introduces 'HDFC Bank Health Plus Credit Card'.
- Uma Krishnan resigns HDFC Bank as country head.
- Escotel ties up with HDFC Bank for Global Debit Card.
- HDFC Bank launches India's first mobile payment solution.
- HDFC Bank's debt programme of Rs 400-crore has received triple A (ind) rating from CREDIT rating agency FITCH.
-Mumbai - HDFC Bank in collaboration with Tally Solutions is planning to launch electronic data interchange (EDI) system for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
-Warburg Pincus sells 2% stake in HDFC for Rs 235 cr
- HDFC Bank began selling home loans of its promoter Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC).
-Board approved to allot 4,16,400 equity shares to the employees of the Bank under the Employee Stock Option Scheme
-Mr Ranjan Kapur & Mr Bobby Parikh appointed as Additional Directors
-NMCE inks pact with HDFC Bank for warehouse receipts
- HDFC Bank has entered into an alliance with Clearing Corporation of India Ltd (CCIL). The tie-up offers the latter's collateral borrowing and lending obligation (CBLO) product to cooperative banks that are not direct members of the negotiated dealing system (NDS).
-HDFC Bank repurchases HDFC loans worth Rs 208 cr
-Launches Quickremit, a unique online service that enables NRIs in the US to send money to their relatives in India from the comfort of their homes.
-Andhra Bank has entered into an alliance with HDFC Bank for sharing its network of automated teller machines (ATMs). On March 29, 2004
- HDFC Bank and Bahraini Saudi Bank (BSB) have announced an alliance to cater to service the needs of the non-resident Indians (NRIs) in Bahrain.
- HDFC bank Ltd has informed that Dr (Mrs) Amla Samanta has ceased to be a director of the Bank wef April 25, 2004.
- HDFC Bank launches new scheme for Maruti 800 buyers, providing 85 per cent finance on the on-road price of the car for seven years.
-HDFC Bank wins Asiamoney award for Best Domestic Bank
-HDFC Bank managing director Aditya Puri has been awarded the management man of the year by the Bombay Management Association (BMA)
-HDFC Bank has entered into an agreement with Shrachi Securities Ltd, the flagship company of the Kolkata-based Rs 300-crore Shrachi Group, for financing of multi-utility vehicles all over India
-HDFC Bank has launched an online bill payment facility for its customers who are also subscribers to Tata Teleservices
-HDFC Bank join hands with NCR Corporation to offer managed ATM services
- IKF Finance Ltd has entered in to a Joint Lending Arrangement with HDFC Bank Ltd
-TMB forges alliance with HDFC Bank
-HDFC Bank inaugurates first ATM in Hotel
- HDFC Bank ties up with the International Bank of Qatar (IBQ) to launch banking services in Qatar.
- HDFC Bank launches loyalty rewards programme for its debit and credit cardholders under the name InstaWonderz.
-HDFC Bank along with MasterCard International launched credit card targeted at small and medium-sized enterprises
-HDFC Bank has tied up with US-based WL Ross and company LLC for investing in corporate restructuring
-HDFC Bank unveils credit card for farmers
-HDFC sets up two more branches in AP
- Osim to join hands with HDFC Bank for consumer loans
- HDFC Bank inaugurates VbV facility for online shopping
- HDFC sets up two more branches in AP
-HDFC Bank has signed an agreement with Tata Pipes to offer credit facilities to farmers across the country.
-Hdfc Bank Ltd has appointed Mr. Pandit Palande as an additional Director of the Bank at the Board Meeting held today i.e. on 24th April 2007.
- HDFC Bank Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Bank at its meeting held on October 12, 2007, has been appointed Mr. Paresh Sukthankar & Mr. Harish Engineer as Executive Directors on the Board of Directors of the bank. Mr. Sukthankar & Mr. Engineer have been senior employees of the Bank since 1994 and have held various positions of responsibility.
The above appointments as Executive Directors of the Bank are subject to approval of Reserve Bank of India and of the Bank's shareholders.
- HDFC Bank Ties Up With Postal Department, Extends Rural Reach
- HDFC Bank Wins Nasscom IT User Award The Year'
- HDFC Bank Opens Its First Overseas Branch In Bahrain
- HDFC Bank and Centurion Bank of Punjab merger at share swap ratio of 1:29
- HDFC Bank Launches Indias First Rural Banking BPO At Tirupathi
- HDFC Bank Launches Indias First 'Online Market Linkage Programme' For Self Help Groups
- HDFC Bank Bags Asiamoney Award for the 'Best Domestic Bank'
- HDFC Bank offers electronic payment collection facility to Guruvayoor Devaswom.
- HDFC Bank launches Meritus Scholarship Programme.
- The Asian Banker declares HDFC Bank the Best Retail Bank
- With a view to attract long term deposits and prevent premature withdrawal when the interest rates peak, HDFC, the housing finance major, has decided to pay variable interest rate on recurring deposits.
- HDFC Bank on Feb 19 increased the fixed deposit rates by up to 150 basis points across maturities, a move that follows the Cash Reserve Ratio hike of 75 basis points by the Reserve Bank of India last month.