1949 - DOI was Incorporated on 17th December, as a wholly owned
subsidiary of Dorr-Liver Inc., USA.
1950 - A branch office of DOI was set up in India to distribute Dorr-
Oliver equipment in India.
1959 - Dorr-Oliver Inc., USA, entered into a technical assistance
agreement with DOI, authorising it and providing process useful
for filtration, sedimentation, classification and other purposes
in a wide range of metallurgical, chemical, sanitation and other
industries as also in the design and construction of plant in
- After the Foreign Exchange Regulation Act 1973 came into force,
it was no longer feasible for DOI to function as a branch of a
foreign company in India. Accordingly, DOI took necessary steps
to promote the Company and transfer its business to it as a going
- The company entered into a technial assistance agreement with
Dorr-Oliver Inc., USA, for making available to the Company
technology for exploitation in the following manner in India and
abroad - (a) designing, supplying and installing equipment for
sugar, paper, heavy chemicals, food, pharmaceuticals and
(b) designing, supplying and installing water, sewage and waste
treatment plants and
(c) undertake turnkey projects for complex fertilisers, heavy
chemicals, and metallurgical plants.
- The agreement stipulated payment of fees at the rate of 3.5% of
the net selling value of equipment and system dealt in by the
Company with certain exceptions, subject to prescribed deductions
and payment of Indian taxes.
1974 - The Company was Incorporated on 26th July. The Company's objects
Designing, Manufacturing and marketing of specialised equipment
and process useful for filtration, sedimentation, classification
and other purposes in a wide range of metallurgical, chemical,
sanitation and other industries as also in the design and
construction of plants in such industries.
1975 - All shares issued to Dorr-Oliver (India) Ltd.
1977 - The Certificate of Commencement of Business was obtained on 13th
January. It was promoted by Dorr-Oliver (India) Ltd. (DOI).
- The company commenced business operations from 1st April, 1977
when certain assets and liabilities of Dorr-Oliver (India), Ltd.,
were taken over by the company as a going concern.
1978 - 2,20,000 shares issued at par; 20,000 shares reserved for firm
allotment to Indian employees and directors of the Company and
2,00,000 shares offered to the public during November 1977.
1980 - The Company completed the construction of a Research Centre which
started functioning from 1981.
1982 - 5,28,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 4:5.
1984 - A technical collaboration agreement was entered into with Dorr-
Oliver Inc., USA, for fluidbed combusion systems and steam
generation plants. This technical collaboration was due to
expire on 31st March 1987. A fresh application was made of Govt.
for extension of the collaboration agreement.
1985 - The Company also successfully introduced larger capacity energy
efficient floatation cells for coal benefication and horizontal
belt filter for mineral application.
- 11,88,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1986 - A separate technical collaboration agreement was entered into
with Dorr-Oliver Inc., USA for latest technologies for horizontal
belt filters and anitron pollution control systems. Subsequently
Dorr-Oliver Inc., USA., assigned their agreement with the Company
for technical collaboration for fluidised bed coal combustion and
steam generation systems to Keeler-Oliver Boiler Company of USA,
and this was approved by Government.
- The Company's R & D Department developed a range of new process
equipment and systems with accent on energy efficient compact
equipments for processiing and conservation of reserves. Keeping
this in view, a three stage package system for total oilwater
separation/recovery was developed.
1987 - The Company commissioned a commercial plant for handling petro-
chemical waste waters.
1989 - Some of the new products introduced were the largest floatation
cells for metallurgical applications, large horizontal belt
filter (24 sq. mts) for hydrate seed washing system, cable forque
thickener for aluminium hydrate application and high BOD waste
treatment plant based on fixed film moving technology etc.
- 23,76,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1990 - The company made an application for an industrial licence to
manufacture polymerization products having a good market in the
domestic and international arena. The said project was to be
set up in a backward district in Gujarat. Collaboration
arrangements were being made.
1991 - The Company entered into tie-up agreements with Soviet Filtermash
of Ukraine and Buss AG of Switzerland to add synergistic products
to the existing range.
1994 - It was proposed to set up a joint venture Company with
Mackenzie Hydrocarbons Pty Ltd., Australia for supply of process
equipment and projectts engineering services.
1997 - As at 31st March, the holding company Dorr-Oliver (India) Ltd.
holds 31,68,000 No. of equity shares out of 47,52,000 No. of
equity shares issued by the company.
2000 - Mr. Suresh Dadlani has jointed as the Managing Director effective
from June 22.
- Mr. B.S. Mehta has resigned from the office of Alternate Director
effective from June 30.
- Mr. Y.C. Lumba has resigned from the office of the Executive
Director to take effect from July 1.
- The Company proposed to merge its wholly-owned subsidiary at Ahmedabad
with itself, for administrative and operational synergies.
2001 -The board of directors of Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd has announced a dividend of Rs 1.50 per share for the year-ended March 31, 2001. The company has recorded a net profit of Rs 3.14 crore aganist a loss of Rs 4.85 crore during the previous fiscal.
- Hindustan Dorr-Oliver has entered into technical collaboration agreement with Belgium's Seghers Scientec Matrix for a period of 10 years, both companies said.
2002-Hindustan Dorr Oliver to set up a Wholly Owned Subsidiary in Jebel Ali, UAE.
2002-H N Nanani appointed as Additional Director of Hindustan Dorr-Oliver.
-Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd has informed about the sad demise of the Chairman of the company Sri M R Chhabaria on April 06, 2002.
-Vidya Chhabria appointed as Director & Chairperson of Hindustan Dorr Oliver.
- Hindustan Dorr secures Mega Order from IOCL.
- Hindustan Dorr Oliver has secured an order for design, supply, engineering and construction of an Integrated Effluent Treatment Plant from Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd for their refinery at Mumbai.
-Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd has informed that Mr. M. L. Majumdar has been co-opted as Additional Director on the Board of the Company w.e.f. July 30, 2008 in the Board Meeting held on July 30, 2008.
- Hindustan Dorr Oliver Ltd has informed that the Company has bagged a prestigious project worth Rs 126.95 crores from HPCL-Mittal Energy Ltd for RO based DM plant of capacity 21 MLD.
- Hindustan Dorr Oliver Ltd has inducted Mr. Shiv Dayal Kapoor as Additional Director on the Board in its Meeting held on October 30, 2009.
- Hindustan Dorr Olivers subsidiary DavyMarkham Limited has bagged the prestigious order from Hudson Bay Mining (HBMI), Canada, worth about pounds 8.3 million (nearly Rs 588.78 million). The order is for the supply of mining hoists to their new copper zinc mine at Manitoba, Canada.