- On October 17th HDFC was incorporated as a Public Limited Company.
HDFC was promoted by the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation
of India. The company got the certificated of commencement of business
on 3rd December. HDFC provides housing finance in India. The
corporation provides long term housing loans mainly to low and middle
income individuals and corporate bodies. It has also provided a modest
amount of construction finance to housing developers.
- On November HDFC introduced HDFC Certificate of Deposit Scheme.
- 5,00,126 shares taken up by subscribers to Memorandum of Association.
50,000 shares reserved for International Finance Corporation,
Washington and 50,000 shares issued to His Royal Highness The Aga Khan
and/or Foundation Aga Khan Switzerland. 3,99,874 shares allotted at
par to the public in May-June 1978.
- During the year company introduced Loan Linked Deposit scheme, which
encourages small savers to begin a pass book account with HDFC for a
minimum of Rs.200 and deposit, as and when funds are available in
multiples of Rs. 100. After a period of 3 years, the depositor may
withdraw his accumulated deposit which has earned 9% per annum or renew
it with HDFC. In either the event, the depositor become eligible for a
loan up to 4 times his accumulated savings, subject to normal lending
policy of Co.
- During the year, HDFC negotiated for loan under Housing Guarantee
Programme under US aid. During the same year company launched another
programme named Non-Resident Certificate Deposit Scheme.
- During the year, the corporation issued bonds of face value of Rs.
5000 each for a total amount of Rs.10 crores.
- During the year a second issue of bonds of Rs. 5,000 each for Rs.10
crores was floated by way of public issue of bonds in March 1986.
- During the year on May company launched Home Saving Plan. Under this
facility, an individual can borrow for his housing needs at 8.5% per
annum provided he completes certain saving requirements before hand.
During the year company also introduced HDFC- Cumulative Interest
- A new agreement was entered into with USAID under which a further sum
of U.S. $25 million was borrowed from the U.S. capital market in
- During the period corporation issued, IV & Vth series of bonds for
Rs.10 crores and Rs. 5 crores respectively. During the same year
corporation started offering a new service called Advanced Processing
Facility (APF) under which property developers who are undertaking a
residential project can finance individuals buying a dwelling unit in
- 5,00,000 Rights equity shares issued at par in prop. 1:2.
Subsequently, another 5,00,000 No. of equity shares were offered at par
for public subscription.
- During the year HDFC issued its New Corporate Bonds - Series I for
Rs. 20 crores. Also VI, VII and VIII series bonds for an aggregate
amount of Rs. 20 crores were issued during the year.
- During the year National Housing Bank was set up as an apex body to
ensure orderly growth and functioning of housing finance system in
- Two new facilities viz., the Telescopic Loan Plan and Short Term
Bridging Loan were introduced mainly for younger borrowers.
- HDFC entered into an arrangement with the Bank of India whereby HDFC
was to receive fixed rate counterpart rupee funds in lieu of the US
dollars deposited with Bank of India in New York.
- The Home Loans Account scheme was to be launched in co-operation with
scheduled banks with effect from July 1, 1989.
- The Centre for Housing Finance unit proposed to design specific
programme contents to suit different purposes and institutions.
- During the year Krditanstalt Fur Wiederauflau of Germany, sactioned a
line of credit of DM 25 million to fund loans disbursed by HDFC for low
cost housing project directed to economically weaker section
- Two new types of loans namely, Home Improvement Loans (HIL) and Home
Extension Loans (HEL) was launched.
- During November, the company issued 13,77,500 equity shares of Rs.100
each at a premium of Rs.85 per share to the public. And also 72,500
shares were reserved for employees of the company. Simultaneously, the
corporation offered 10,00,000 equity shares of Rs. 100 each at a
premium of Rs. 75 per share to the then existing shareholders in
proportion 1:2. The Company allotted 25,00,000 No. of equity shares
(both rights and public offer).
- The Company negotiated a borrowing of US 100 million from IFC,
Washington, in two parts - Part 'A', a loan of US $40 million from IFC
(W) directly and Part 'B', a loan of US $60 million to be syndicated by
- To commemorate the beginning of the second decade the HDFC, it was
proposed to establish a shelter assistance fund to encourage and
support activities related to shelter problems, in general and to the
needs of the poorer and economically weak sections in particular.
- Forfeiture on 970 No. of equity shares annulled. Issued 14,50,000
No. of equity shares (prem. Rs. 85 per share) to the public and
10,50,000 shares (prem. Rs 75 per share) as rights in December.
- 23,62,500 No. of equity shares allotted on conversion of 'B' part of
- During the year, the Corporation launched a new deposit product Easy
Way Savings, a unique product providing households with flexible
maturity choice as well as saving profile.
- During the year, the Corporation signed a MOU with General Electric
Corporation of USA, to promote a new joint venture for understanding
the business of Consumer finance. HDFC and General Electric
Corporation, have an equity stake of Rs. 15 crores each.
- The Corporation promoted the educational loan facility to provide
financial support to students pursuing higher education.
- As a joint venture in the GE capital (USA) HDFC promoted a consumer
finance company in March for provision of range of financial product.
- 9,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 100 each allotted to ICICI and
UTI on private placement basis.
- 17,86,400 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each issued on private
placement basis. Also 50,00,000 Pref. shares were issued to domestic
- During the year, the Corporation undertook to set up its first
Overseas branch office in Dubai.
- The Corporation was one the promoters of ILFSL along with Central
Bank of India and Unit Trust of India.
- The Corporation jointly promoted with State Bank of India (SBI) a new
housing finance Company under the name of Housing Finance & Promotion
Corporation, Ltd. which operate in the eastern and north-eastern
regions with its headquarters at Calcutta.
- A MOU was signed with Bank Papera Sejhtera, Indonesia on the broad
parameters of technical assistance to be provided over a 6 months
- During the year, the Singapore based property management company
Colliers Jardine Holdings Ltd., has entered into a joint venture with
HDFC and Infrastructural Leasing and Financial Services Ltd., to
introduce consultancy services in real estate. The joint venture will
be named Colliers Jardine (India ) Ltd. HDFC and IL&FS will contribute
15% each in the joint venture and the balance 70 per cent will be held
by Colliers Jardine Holdings Ltd., or its nominees.
- During the year HDFC, has firmed up its plans to enter the insurance
industry. The company signed a joint venture agreement with the
Standard Life Assurance Co. of UK, to establish an insurance company in
the country as soon as insurance industry is opened up for private
investment. The joint venture agreement was signed on 11 October.
- During the year company issued 50,00,000 - 12.5% Cumulative
Redeemable Convertible Preference Shares of Rs.100 each.
- During the year corporation introduced Flexi-Rate Individual Housing
- During March, HDFC launched India'a first captive auto finance
company named Maruti Countrywide Auto Financial Services Ltd., with the
objective of exclusively financing Maruti Vehicles in India. This is
joint venture between HDFC, Maruthi Udyog & GE Capital India.
- HDFC Developers, Ltd. and HDFC Investments Ltd. are the wholly owned
subsidiaries of the Company.
- 50,00,000 Cumulative Redeemable Non-convertible pref. shares redeemed
during the year.
- Government of Rajasthan, Infrastructure Leasing and Finance Services
and Housing Development Finance Corporation have signed a memorandum of
understanding in Mumbai to set up Project Development Corporation.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC), India's premier
housing finance institution, has stepped up its programme to mobilise
deposits in Goa, by setting up an organised network of agents as part
of its efforts to offer safe and attractive deposit options.
- Countrywide Consumer Financial Services (CCFS), a joint venture
between Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) and GE Capital
Services, USA, proposes to raise Rs.20 crore through issue of
non-convertible debentures on private placement basis.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd. (HDFC) has approached
the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) for a tri-partite venture along
with Standard Life of Scotland, to tap the market for pension funds.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has tied up with
the Rajasthan government to set up a new company.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has received LAAA,
MAAA and A1+ ratings for its bonds, fixed deposits (FDs) and short-term
debt instruments respectively from ICRA.
- With a 56-per cent share, the Housing Development Finance Corporation
(HDFC) is the market leader in housing finance.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) is teaming up with Housing
and Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) to create a non-banking
finance company which will provide long-term housing mortgages to the
middle income market in Bangladesh.
- While IFC and HDFC will be founding shareholders in the joint
venture, they will also be joined by the Bangladesh Rural Advancement
Committee and the Delta Insurance Group, an insurance company,
according to the 1997 annual report of IFC which was released on
- The first private sector housing finance company has been established
in Bangladesh with the World Bank signing a deal on behalf of
International Finance Corporation (IFC) to become an equity partner
along with Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) in the
recently established Delta Brac Housing Finance Company (DBH) of
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd. (HDFC) has
introduced a novel loan facility, betterment fee loans to site owners
in revenue layouts within the jurisdiction of Bangalore Mahanagara
- The Housing Development and Finance Corporation (HDFC) is in talks
with an Asian offshore institutional investor for setting up a joint
venture company in anticipation of the government opening up the real
estate sector for foreign direct investment (FDI).
- The Housing Development Corporation (HDFC), one of India's leading
housing finance companies, floated its maiden debenture issue through
the private placement route on 14th July.
- HDFC will enter into a memorandum of understanding for strategic
business collaboration with Chase Manhattan bank.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) and Chase Manhattan
have entered into an agreement where, in the event of the two funds -
India Private Equity Fund and Indocean Financial Holding Ltd.
- The Company and State Bank of India would be entering into a MOU to
set up a Credit Information Bureau jointly in technical and financial
collaboration with Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India Pvt.
Ltd. and Trans Union International Inc. the leading providers of
Business and Credit Information services.
- The Company has informed that, SLAC have acquired an aggregate of 10
lac equity shares from the secondary market.
- The Company has acquired an equity holding of 12.5 per cent in
IndiaConstruction.com, a B2B construction portal promoted by the
Pune-based Construction Portal Pvt. Ltd.
- HDFC's tie-up with the Palmyrah Workers' Development Society (PWDS),
a Tamil Nadu-based NGO has resulted in the formation of the Indian
Association of savings and Credit (IASC), an RBI-recognised NBFC.
- The Cellular Service provider Orange has tied up with Housing
Development Finance Corporation to offer mobile Internet banking to its
- Geojit Securities, has struck an alliance with HDFC Bank for
providing a payment gateway to internet trading clients.
- The Company has opened an office in Kozhikode which is its third
office in Kerala.
- The Company has introduced a home equity loan with a facility to
mortgage property to secure loan for children's education, medical
expenses and other miscellaneous investments.
- The Company has acquired the entire shareholding of Hometrust Housing
Finance Company, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Gujarat Ambuja Cements
and has also acquired 26 per cent additional stake in Gruh Finance
which was held by GACL.
- The Company has acquired the housing finance business of Gujarat
Ambuja Cement Ltd for a total consideration of Rs. 60 crores.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation and Tata Consultancy
Services signed a memorandum of understanding to set up a 50:50 joint
venture to offer IT-enabled services overseas.
- Crisil has reaffirmed the AAA rating assigned to the company's Rs
1,195-crore bond programme. It has also reaffirmed the FAA rating
given to the corporation's fixed deposit programme and the P1+ rating
assigned to the short-term debt plan.
- The Company proposes to capitalise on the huge real estate
requirement of MNCs as the latter propose to set up retail chains
across the country.
- HDFC has acquired two crore shares in Lafarge India representing face
value of Rs. 20 crore.
- HDFC asset management company is to formally launch its mutual fund
schemes from 20th July.
- A clutch of financial service firms led by HDFC have joined together
and acquired one of the oldest cards on the BSE.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation and the State Bank of India
are setting up an equal joint venture for credit rating of individuals.
- ICICI Ltd and HDFC have hiked their housing loan rates by 50 basis
- Amalgamation of Hometrust Housing Finance Company Ltd.
- The Credit Rating Information Services of India Ltd has assigned an
'AAA' rating to the Rs 1,500-crore bond programme of the company.
- VSNL and HDFC have jointly launched online renewal facility for
Internet subscription in Mumbai, New Delhi, Calcutta, Chennai, Pune and
- ICRA has assigned 'LAA' rating to Hudco Rs 1 billion tax-free and Rs
5 billion taxable bonds programme.
- Housing loan finance company HDFC Limited targeting the NRIs,
launched a portal 'HDFC Reality.com' to provide information on real
estae properties in and around Bangalore city.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority has granted
registration to HDFC Standard Life Insurance, as the first private
sector life insrnace company in India.
- Mr. Keki Mistry will be the new Managing Director of Housing
Development Finance Corpsoration.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation has launched a retail
finance scheme, Step Up Repayment Facility, which provides for a higher
- The UB group has tied up with Housing Development Finance Corporation
(HDFC) and Infrastructure Leasing and Finance Services (IL & FS) to
raise Rs.60 crore to part fund the acquisition of Associated Breweries
& Distillers (ABD).
- HDFC has tied up with the Alireza group of Saudi Arabia and the
Jeddah-based Technobuild to provide advisory services to NRIs.
- HDFC has decided to acquire the entire equity holding of its
subsidiary HDFC Holdings in HDFC BAnk.
- HDFC has acquired 133,10,000 equity shares in HDFC Bank from HDFC
Holdings, a 100 per cent subsidiary of HDFC, through internal transfer.
- The Housing Development Finance Corporation has launched its
$100-million five-year syndicated loan with roadshows beginning in
- HDFC Board approves proposal to set up JV with Chubb Global for foray
into General Insurance business.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd has on March 20, 2002
allotted 711178 equity shares of Rs 10 each under the Employees Stock
Option Scheme (ESOS).
-Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd has informed BSE that the Corporation has purchased 18,00,582 equity shares of Rs 10/- each of GRUH Finance Ltd, representing 6.79% of its paid up equity capital. After the said purchase, the holding of the Corporation in GRUH Finance Ltd aggregates to 1,62,40,604 equity shares of Rs 10/- each, representing 61.29% of its paid up capital.
-Housing Development Corporation Ltd has on August 7, 2002 allotted 51378 equity shares of Rs 10 each under the Employees Stock Option Scheme.
-RVS Rao reappointed as Executive Director of Housing Development Finance Corporation.
-Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has asked chairman Deepak Parekh to continue for three more years with effect from March '03. The service of Renu S Karnad, executive director, has also been extended for another five years with effect from March 2003. Besides, the corporation is revising upwards the remuneration package of its top management, including Mr Parekh, managing director KM Mistry and two executive directors Ms Karnad and Mr RVS Rao. The package will be in the range of Rs 80,000 to Rs 4,00,000 per month. At present, Mr Parekh and Mr Mistry receive a salary of Rs 2,00,000 and Rs 1, 75,000 per month, respectively. Mr Rao and Ms Karnad get Rs 1,50,000 per month.
-HDFC divests its entire stake in Spectramind to Wipro
-Fox-Pitt, Kelton's (FPK) survey on the Asia's Best Managed Banks identifies Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) as the second best managed financial institution in India and among best in the region
-HDFC Asset Management Company (AMC) acquires Zurich Asset Management Company India
-Standard Life Assurance Company hikes stake in HDFC to 14.06 %
-HDFC Realty becomes Wholly owned Subsidiary of HDFC
-HDFC Board approves Arrangement between the Corporation & HDFC Bank wherein HDFC Bank will source housing loans for the Corporation
-Allotts Secured Non Convertible Debentures (NCD's) of Rs 1 million each, aggregating to Rs 2500 million on a private placement basis
-Divests shares of HDFC AMC to Standard Life Investment Ltd. Consequent to the said sale, the Corporation would hold 50.10% of the total paid up capital of the HDFC AMC and the balance 49.90% would be held by Standard Life Investments Ltd.
-Inks loan agreement for $200 million with International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private lending arm of the World Bank
-Cuts home loan rates for fixed-rate loans by about 25 basis points across maturities
-Alpine International Ltd., a sub-account of Warburg Pincus LLC, divests HDFC's 42,50,582 shares reducing its holding to 4.48%
-Share price hits a life time high of Rs 455
-Mr M Narasimham resigns as a Director of the Corporation wef August 20, 2003
-Allotts 3833 Secured Redeemable Non Convertible Debenture (NCDs) of Rs 1 million each aggregating to Rs 3833 million on a private placement basis.
-Unveils its 4th branch in Bangalore at Basaveshwaranagar
-Forges alliance with Tally to unveil EDI for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
-Allotted 2833 Secured Redeemable Non Convertible Debenture (NCDs) of Rs 1 million each aggregating to Rs 2833 million on a private placement basis
--Tied up with ICICI Bank and SBI for sharing ATM networks
-HDFC unveils innovative housing product
-Becomes the first private corporate to raise Rs 1,000 crore debt in a single tranche and in a single option
- The Company has received disclosures from Mr. D S Parekh - Chariman and Mr Susir Kumar - Company Secretary of their acquisitions. The details are as follows : i) Mr. D S Parekh has on March 02, 2004 acquired 25,000 shares. The mode of acquisition is allotment pursuant to exercise of options vested under ESOS and his shareholding after the said acquisition is 3,00,500 shares amounting to 0.1223% of the voting rights of the company; ii) Mr. Susir Kumar M has on March 02, 2004 acquired 6,800 shares. The mode of acquisition is allotment pursuant to exercise of options vested under ESOS and his shareholding after the said acquisition is 6,800 shares amounting to 0.0028% of the voting rights of the company.
-HDFC inaugurated its 16th office in Tamil Nadu and 6th office in Chennai at the southern suburb of Velachery
-Capital Research acquires 1.38 pc additional stake in HDFC
-HDFC, Elcot sign pact to promote infotech in TN
-Forbes Group ties up with HDFC to set up media firm
-Hudco ties up with Pragati Social Infrastructure & Development Ltd to float new JV
-HDFC JV unveils Yellow Pages in Ahemedabad
-HDFC and WL Ross team up to invest in Indian corporate turnarounds
- Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) may join hands with Apollo Hospitals to set up two-three super-specialty hospitals in Mumbai.
- HDFC joins hand with Postal dept on October 10, 2006.
- HDFC launches its operations in London, UK
- HDFC realty fund acquires 10pc in Pune realtor Vascon Engineers
- HDFC joins hands with Apollo to set up hospitals in Mumbai
- HDFC Ltd has forged an alliance with Germany's Ergo International AG as the new joint venture partner for its general insurance business.
- HDFC increases its stake in HDFC Asset Management Company
- HDFC emerged as the best 'Investment Management Company in India at the Liquid Real Estate Awards - 2007 organised by EUROMONEY
- HDFC selected as the 'Top Indian Company in FIs / NBFCs / Financial Services Sector' for the Dun & Bradstreet - American Express Corporate Awards 2007
- HDFC Ltd has announced the opening of a new office at Old Mahabalipuram Road, Sholinganallur. Opening of this office marks its 7th office in Chennai city and 16th in Tamil Nadu.
- HDFC to spread its network to capture Indian rural market
- HDFC introduces a 'special disbursement offer' for its New Home Loans.
- Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) had increased its stake in HDFC Bank.
- HFDC offers 8.25 per cent fixed rate for new loans