1972 - The company was incorporated on 15th July, 1972. The object of
company is to manufacture all types of cells & batteries
including manganese dioxide dry cells & batteries & their
components. Battery cells are sold under the brand name 'NIPPO'.
The Company was promoted by P. Obul Reddy, S.R. Jiwarajka and
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Japan, (MEI).
- The Company entered into a technical and financial collaboration
agreement with Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Japan,
who agreed to supply equipment and plant, provide technical
know-how for the operation of the plant and to subscribe to the
equity capital of the Company.
- 1,66,667 shares allotted to directors, etc. 2,50,000 shares
reserved for Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.; 2,25,000 shares
against foreign exchange and 25,000 shares against technical
know-how, 2,08,333 No. of equity shares offered at par to the
public in December.
1980 - 3,12,500 No. of Equity shares issued at par as rights in the
1981 - Licence was received to increase the licensed capacity of the
plant at Nellore to 120 million pieces per annum from 60 million
1985 - Machinery for new automatic production line was installed at the
Tada factory for the manufacture of UM-3 (penlite) size
1986 - Letters of intent were received for various products including
expansion of capacity for dry cell batteries.
1988 - The R&D department developed special batteries for Indian
1989 - The Nippo brand torch light was launched.
1991 - The Company proposed to undertake manufacture of a new variety
UM-3 metalclad batteries at Tada factory with an annual capacity
of 60 million pieces.
1994 - A new model flash light 'Sleek' in the mini model category was
marketed at the end of the year.
- 9,37,500 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1995 - The company had launched two new products for catering to the
premium segment in UM-3 and UM-1 sizes. The UM-3 PG with a much
longer life was launched for the growing photo Audio market and
the UM-15 with better performance was launched for heavy duty
appliances like Toys etc.
1996 - The Company introduced new torch light in the mighty model
segment using 4 cells of size R-20.
1997 - The Company had launched another model BF-103, using 3 cell UM-1
type batteries which met with good market response.
- The Company was planning to increase production capacity of UM-IP
variety by 120 million pieces in order to cater to the increase
- A letter of intent was received to manufacture 120 million
batteries at Alwar, Rajasthan. The Company also obtained
permission of Government to manufacture 20,000 sets of tape
- The Company proposed to issue bonus shares to the existing
shareholders in the ratio of 1:1.
1998 - Indo National Ltd. (INL), engaged in the production of dry
batteries and torch lights, has embarked on an expansion of
production capacity of UM-1P variety of dry cell batteries by
120 million pieces per annum at its Nellore factory.
- INL, the flagship company of the Obul Reddy group, is the
second largest player in the dry cell battery segment. It has
a technical collaboration with Matsushita Electric Industrial
Co. Japan. The company has been as steady performer and has
built up a strong brand equity with its Nippo brand.
- The company is especially strong in the UM3 segment of the dry
- 18.75,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1999 - Indo National (INL), the maker of Nippo brand of dry cell
batteries, is the second largest player in the industry; it has
a marketshare of about 27%.
- INDO National Ltd is exploring the possibility of introducing one
more variety of dry cell (UM-1), with a false bottom, to
strengthen the existing product range of the company.
- INDO National Ltd plans to invest Rs. 15 crores for setting up
an additional production line to manufacture pencil size (UM-3)
batteries at its plant in Tada, Andhra Pradesh.
- The company had a total installed capacity of 250 million
pieces per annum of the UM-3 variety.
2000 - The Company has entered into a tripartite agreement with CDSL &
NSDL on 30th March through Cameo Corporate Services Ltd.
- Indus-League flagship Indo Nation has launched Khaki Club, a
collection of washed shirts, trousers, T-shirts, bermudas,
cargoes, combats etc.
-Appoints Mr Justice S Natarajan and Dr Dave Surendra as the Directors on the Board of the company.
-Appoints Mr Tomio Kawabe as the Director of the company in place of Mr M Sato.
-Nippo Batteries signs up cricketer Yuvraj Singh as its brand ambassador.
-Indo National Ltd. has informed that the Company's name has been changed from 'Indo National Limited' to 'Nippo Batteries Co. Ltd.' with effect from July 15, 2005
-Nippo Batteries Co. Limited has appointed Mr. J. Srinivasan appointed as Company Secretary cum Compliance Officer of the Company with effect from April 16, 2007.
-Nippo Batteries Company Ltd has appointed Mr. Masaaki Watanabe as Additional Director of the Company in place of Mr. M Shiga with effect from July 18, 2007.
- Nippo Batteries Company Ltd has appointed Mr. P Dwarakanath Reddy as Additional Director of the Company with effect from July 23, 2009 and with effect from October 01, 2009 as Managing Director of the Company subject to approval of the ensuing Annual General Meeting of the Company.2. Mr. R P Khaitan has been appointed as Additional Director of the Company with effect from July 23, 2009 and with effect from October 01, 2009 as Joint Managing Director of the Company subject to approval of the ensuing Annual General Meeting of the Company.
- Nippo Batteries Company Ltd has appointed Mr. P. Dwarakanath Reddy, Managing Director of the Company as a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Company.