|McLeod Russel has been growing tea in India since 1869. We are today the largest tea producing company in the world.
We manage 47 tea estates in the Assam Valley and 6 tea estates in the Dooars region of West Bengal.
Every year our estates produce over 80 million kilograms of black tea, which is marketed worldwide under the registered Elephant trade mark.
1869 - McLeod Russel has been growing tea in India since 1869. In the beginning, Captain J.H. Williamson and Richard Boycott Magor, two Englishmen based in Calcutta, formed a partnership firm, Williamson Magor & Company, to service the requirements of tea gardens in Assam.
1954 - It was renamed as Williamson Magor & Co Limited, with the change in its status to a limited company.
1975 - Williamson Magor merged with another company, Macneill and Barry Ltd. The new company was named Macneill and Magor Limited.
1987 - Guthrie family in the UK sold their shareholding in the McLeod Russel group, which included the Makum and Namdang Tea Companies to the Khaitan family, making the Macneill and Magor group.
1992 - Macneill and Magor Limited was renamed Williamson Magor & Co. Limited.
1994 - The group bought 51% of the equity shareholding of Union Carbide India Limited, through McLeod Russel India Limited, and the company was renamed Eveready Industries India Limited. The new company had two divisions, the bulk tea division which managed the tea estates of McLeod Russel and the battery division which marketed the popular Eveready batteries and flashlights.
1998 - The company was originally incorporated as a private limited company on May 5, 1998.
2000 - IT. became a deemed public limited company on July 6, 2000.
2004 - In April, 2004 Eveready Industries demerged the two divisions into two separate companies, McLeod Russel India Limited and Eveready Industries India Limited. This enabled McLeod Russel to concentrate on its core business of tea production. Eveready, with the second largest retail distribution network in India, enjoys more than 50% market share in their battery and flashlight business.
2005 - In July 2005, the company acquired Borelli Tea Holdings Limited from the Magor family based in England and took over the 17 tea gardens of its Indian subsidiary Williamson Tea Assam Ltd.
- The company had decided to venture into the tourism sector to keep its options open with regards to tie-ups with hospitality chains.
2006 - The company acquired the Doom Dooma Tea Company.
2007 - Further the Company acquired the Moran Tea Company. After that it becomes largest tea company in the world. Companies Tea division directly employs over 100,000 people, a large number of whom are women.
2008 - On 22nd Feb 2008, shareholders of the company approved the scheme of amalgamation of The Moran Tea Company India with Mcleod Russel India with requisite majority.
- The government on 13th March 2008 approved a 2.3 billion-rupee scheme for implementation of tea quality upgradation and product diversification during 11th plan period ending 2012.
- Mcleod Russel India Ltd has re-appointed Mr. A Khaitan as the Managing Director and Mr. R Takru, Mr. A Monem and Mr. K K Baheti as Whole-time Directors of the Company for a period of three months in each case with effect from April 01, 2008.
-Mcleod Russel India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on July 29, 2008, inter alia, has appointed Mr. S N Menon as an Additional Director with immediate effect.
-our wholly owned subsidiary Borelli Tea Holdings Limited, U.K., acquired 100% of the Charter Capital of Phu Ben Tea Company Limited, Vietnam. Phu Ben has three tea estates and produces 4.5 million kilograms of Black CTC, Green CTC & Orthodox Green tea.
- Mcleod Russel India Ltd acquired Borelli Tea Holdings Ltd .
- Board has recommended Dividend of Rs. 4/- per share.
- Mcleod Russel India Ltd has informed BSE that, as per the reports in the Press, the Government of Rwanda in its Cabinet Meeting held on February 11, 2011 has approved the sale of 60% shares of Gisovu Tea Company Limited to Borelli Tea Holdings Limited, U.K. a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company.
- Mcleod Russe - Setting up of a subsidiary in Dubai.
- Board has recommended Dividend of Rs. 5/- per share.
- McLeod Russel spurts over 4% on export incentive announcement.
- Board has recommended Dividend of Rs. 6/- per share.
-Mcleod Russel India Ltd has informed that Borelli Tea Holdings Limited, the wholly owned subsidiary of the Company has set up a Company in Kenya by the name of "McLeod Russel Africa Limited"
-Mcleod Russel India Ltd has recommended Dividend of Rs. 7/- per share (140%) on the Equity Shares of Rs. 5/- each for the Financial Year ended March 31, 2014.
-McLeod Russel - Amalgamation of Rwenzori Tea Investments Limited with McLeod