- The Company was incorporated on 26th April, as a private limited
company. It was converted into a public limited company on 29th June,
1981. Among the important items manufactured by the Company are
specialities in the group of neurotropics such as encephabol and
anti-psychotics such as lithocarb and vitamin formulations such as
neurobion, polybion, multiboonata, etc.
- E. Merck, Darmstadt, West Germany are the Company's collaborators who
had been supplying sophisticated technical know-how to the Company free
- 12,782 No. of shares issued without payment in prop. 1:3.
- 2,500 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:3.
- 50,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- The non-resident equity holding in the Company was reduced from 60%
to 51% by the issue of new equity shares to resident equity
shareholders and to the public.
- Shares subdivided on 29.6.1981. Issued 5,02,500 shares to Chemitra
GmbH, West Germany and 47,500 shares as Rights to resident Indian
shareholders. 7,02,067 shares (including 2,067 shares not taken up by
the resident Indian shareholders) offered at par for public
subscription during August.
- In order to raise funds for working capital requirements, the Company
privately placed with Army Group Insurance Fund 1,00,000 - 15%
non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each. These debentures are
redeemable at a premium of 5% on 12th August, 1992. The Company also
privately placed with UTI 2,00,000 - 15% non-convertible redeemable
debentures of Rs 100 each aggregating Rs 200 lakhs. These debentures
were to be redeemed at a premium of 5% after the expiry of 7 years from
the date of allotment.
- Several essential drugs like Praziquantel, Septopal Beads and
anti-cancer drugs were introduced. Soon, the Company intended to
introduce anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- 16,50,000 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 3:5.
- A bulk drug unit, at Indore, manufacturing chloroquine phosphate and
its derivatives was acquired by the Company.
- The Company acquired a significant shareholding in Suneeta
Laboratories, Indore, equipped with strong scientific base and
professionals, with a view to manufacturing several active ingredients.
- 15,40,000 shares issued (prem. Rs 10 per share); 14,66,667 shares as
Rights in Prop. 1:3 (only 14,39,924 shares) taken up and (ii) 73,333
shares to employees (all were taken up). The 26,743 shares not taken
up out of Rights quota were allotted privately.
- The Company launched its diagonistics project.
- A new pharmaceutical formulation division was launched to market
formulations bearing BDH trade mark.
- During March-April, the Company offered 5,50,000-14% secured
redeemable non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each for cash at par on
rights basis as follows:
- (i) To resident Indian shareholders in proportion 1 deb: 10 equity
- (ii) 1 deb: 2 debentures to debentureholders and
- (iii) 1 debenture for every Rs 500 deposit held for fixed deposit
holders. The debentures were to be redeemed at a premium of Rs 5 per
debentures on the expiry of 7 years from the date of allotment of
- The name of the Company was changed to BDH Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. The
unit is manufacturing and marketing certain bulk drugs viz.
chloroquine phosphate and chloroquin sulphate. The Company sold its
Indore plant at a total consideration of Rs 200 lakhs to BDH Pharma,
both from the point of view of locational disadvantages of having a
plant at Indore and from the point of view of control.
- 29,70,000 Bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- During March, the Company offered 5,55,428 - zero interest fully
convertible debentures of Rs 120 each on Rights basis in the proportion
1 debenture: 10 equity shares held (all were taken up). Simultaneously
another 27,772 debentures were issued to the employees on an equitable
basis (all were taken up). Debentures under category (i) and (ii) were
- The Company also issued the following zero interest fully convertible
debentures of Rs 120 each to foreign promoters to maintain their
holding to the extent of 40% in the Company:
- (i) 2,49,500 debentures to Emedia Export Company GmbH and
- (ii) 1,39,300 debentures to Chemilia, GmbH. Debentures under
category (i) and (ii) were taken up. Each of the above mentioned zero
interest debentures are to be converted into five equity shares of Rs
10 each at a premium of Rs 14 per share on 7th January, 1993.
- The poor performance in the national and international market was
attributed to sale of Indore plant manufacturing chloroquine phosphate
and other items, and decrease in offtake of Guaiazulene to Japan
- During May, the Company issued and allotted 30,91,224 new equity
shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 14 per share to Merck AG or
their Associates to increase their stake in the Company from the
existing 40% to 51%.
- During August, the Company had redeemed 14% NCD's, (Series 11)
aggregating to Rs 55 million. During February 1998, the Company had
redeemed one-third (second instalment) of the 16.5% NCD's aggregating
to Rs 20 million held by UTI.
- Taloja plant setting up a soft gelatin capsule plant in Goa and the
parent E Merck of the US recently set up a 100 per cent subsidiary.
- Almost all the non-pharma capacity of EMIL is being utilised and the
company is already sourcing its higher needs through loan licence
agreements with smaller manufacturers.
- EMI, a 51-per-cent subsidiary of E Merck, Germany, has five divisions
- pharma, reagents, bulk drugs, diagnostics and pigments.
- E Merck (India) has assigned its popular vitamin-B complex syrup
brand Polybion to a small scale manufacturer, facilitating its removal
from the clutches of price control.
- E Merck is unlikely to opt for the joint venture route for the OTC
business and would build on its own distribution strength in contrast
to other drug companies like Nicholas Pirmala.
- E Merck India is one of the largest players in the vitamins market.
- Buoyed by the international acquisition of a $50 million laboratory
chemicals company by its parent, E Merck India will soon be able to
introduce a range of premium laboratory chemicals that will facilitate
research in biotechnology in the country.
- E.Merck, a subsidiary of Merck of Germany and domestic pharma company
Kopran have entered into a co-markering arrangement for cardiovascular
- E.Merck (India) Ltd has informed that Prof. Thomas Schereckenbach has
been appointed as Additional Director. And Mr.K. J.Mallya has been
appointed as the Company Secretary of the Company on November 19, 2001
and he will also be the Compliance Officer of the Company.
-Merck signs Deed of Assignment with Biochem Pharmaceuticals
-Merck Ltd has appointed Mr. K Shivkumar as an Additional Director.
- Merck Ltd has informed that at the Meeting of the Board of Directors held on July 20, 2009 Mr. Ralph Antonius Zaat has been appointed as a Director in place of Dr. Hans Hermansson.
- The Company at its meeting held on January 22, 2010, inter alia, has recommended a final dividend of Rs. 20/- per share.
- Merck KGaA and sanofi-aventis Sign Agreement to Jointly Investigate Novel Combinations Against Cancer.
- Merck KGaA Donation Program Supports Schistosomiasis Control in Africa.
- FDA Approves Egrifta (tesamorelin for injection): First and Only Treatment for the Reduction of Excess Abdominal Fat in HIV-infected Patients with Lipodystrophy.
- Merck KGaA Intends to Name Matthias Zachert to Executive Board.
- Merck Appoints Frederic Wohlwend as CIO.
- Merck Strengthens Research Cooperation With Israel.
- Merck Received European Approval for Three Pre-filled, Ready-to-use Pen Injectors for Fertility Treatment.
- Merck Donates100 Millionth Tablet to Treat Schistosomiasis.
- Standard & PoorÂs Raises MerckÂs Long-Term Credit Rating to A- with Stable Outlook.
- Merck Advances to Eighth Place in the 2012 Access to Medicine Index.
- Jon Baumhauer Awarded the Luther Rose.
- Merck Serono Announces Final Efficiency Program for Switzerland.
-Merck Invests in Research Partnerships in Israel to Boost Innovation.
-Merck Serono announced the formation of the global Oncology Partnership and Education Network (OPEN).
-Merck Ltd has changed Corporate Office moved to a new location. The Company's address and contact details are given below.MERCK LIMITED Godrej One, 8th floor Pirojshanagar,Eastern Express Highway,Vikhroli(E), Mumbai 400079.
-Merck Acquires Ormet Circuits
-Merck Helps Refugees in Lebanon
-Merck and Pfizer Advance Clinical Development Program with Two Additional Phase III Trials of Avelumab
-Merck and Pfizer Receive Positive Opinion for Orphan Drug Designation for Avelumab in Merkel Cell Carcinoma from EMA Committee for Orphan Medicinal Products
-Merck Expands Distribution Agreement with Roche
-Merck Wins R&D 100 Award for Top Invention
-Merck Sets its Sights on 2018 and Outlines Future Strategic Roadmap
-Merck Presents Its First Russian Literary Prize