- The company was incorporated on December 2, under the name of Pace
Education Private Limited. The company was promoted by Shri S.S.
Nadar, Shri. V.K. Thadani, Shri. R.S. Pawar and Smt. Kiran Nadar. The
company began its operation by developing, marketing and implementing
technical know-how packages for Education/Training. Consultancy and
data processing in the field of Information Technology.
- The first Computer Education Centre was set up at Mumbai and later in
the same year another centre was opened in Delhi.
- On 27th October company became a Public Limited company.
- On 16th November, the name of the Company was changed to NIIT
- A contract was signed with Software Publishing Corporation (SPC) for
developing an enhanced version of one of the SPC's own' products.
- The Company successfully introduced two new facilities in the form of
'Computerdromes' and the 'Carry Home PC', which were received very
- The Company developed curicula for professional sales and marketing
which are offered through the National Institute of Sales (NIS) at New
Delhi and Chennai.
1993 - 135,71,224 share allotted to promoters, relatives, friends etc.
36,07,500 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each were issued at a premium
of Rs 40 per share of which 1,71,700 shares reserved for allotment on a
preferential basis to employees (all were taken up.) Balance 34,35,800
shares issued to the public. (all were taken up).
- The Company received the international quality certification, ISO
9001, for its Instructional Software Exports Division (ISX) from Bureau
Veritas Quality International, UK.
- The Company has also set up state-of-the-art software factories as
per the project plan for offshore development of Instructional
software, Application software and System software.
- The new curriculum has been designed to aid the creative and problem
solving ability of the student through a 'MindRoom' concept, which lays
special emphasis on application development and on projects that
simulate real-life industry applications in a multi-media environment.
- The Company launched the GNIIT (Software Exports) curriculum during
- The Company launched its new 2 1/2 year career programme in sales
more than doubled its growth and expanded its reach five-fold.
- The company undertook to set up six software factories at New Delhi,
Mumbai and Chennai. The company also undertook to set up additional
automated learning centres at Mumbai, Calcutta, Delhi and Chennai.
- The company proposed to modernise the career education product line
with main thrust on the provision of additional computering resources
in two forms.
- 85,88,662 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:2. 750 shares kept
- The company is the only non-US company certified as an independent
coursework vendor by Microsoft.
- 13,00,000 Pref. shares issued of which 2,00,000 shares redeemed
during the year. 1,400 shares forfeited.
- During the year company undertook to set up its operations in the
Multimedia Super Corridor.
- The company has developed further state-of-art methods for absorbing,
adapting and effectively deploying new technologies.
- Issued Share Capital includes 22,039,896 Equity Shares of Rs.10/-
each allotted as fully paid-up Bonus Shares by way of capitalisation of
General Reserve/Share Premium Account in 1994-95, in 1992-93 and in
- 700,000; 10.5% Redeemable Preference Shares of Rs. 100/- each are
redeemable at par on 24th January, 1999. However, the Company and the
preference shareholders have 'Put and Call Option' after 24th August,
- 1,100,000 13.5% Redeemable Preference Shares of Rs.100/- each have
been redeemed during the year as per terms of redemption at par, after
creating capital redemption reserve of Rs.110,000,000.
- The year saw the Company emerge as a Global IT Services Corporation.
Ranked as the No.3 software provider for global markets from India by
NASSCOM, the Company has received recognition through a number of
prestigious awards, both for its R&D in computer software, software
exports and quality of products, services and solutions, from various
government and business organisations.
- During the year, NIIT's software facilities achieved SEI-CMM Level 3
certification making it one among go companies world-wide to achieve
- The Company introduced a computer plus quality management programme
called C+QM Curriculum as an integral part of its four year GNIIT
programme in June.
- The Company further enhanced its on-line learning facility on the
internet, NIIT NetVarsity TM (http://www.niitnetvarsity.com), which
uses Skillettes TM as the atoms of learning. The NetVarsity's
Interactive courses are also available on Oracle Corporation's internet
Oracle Learning Architecture (OLA) web site. Besides, the year saw the
Company move into electronic commerce by setting up the NIIT CBT Store
on the Internet.
- The Company became the first company in India to implement the world
renowned performance measure, EVA, as a key management strategy to
ensure single-minded focus on enhancing shareholder value.
- NIIT will be working on setting up its operations in the Multimedia
Super Corridor (MSC) in the current year.
- The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT) has signed a
license agreement with Compulab Act, a computer education software
organisation from Philippines to open a computer education centre in
- The company, is the sixth largest multimedia educational software
provider in the world.
- The company has introduced schemes like dating allowance, holiday and
gifts on birthdays, wedding anniversary gifts and also the parental
leave for the male and female employees to look after their children
below one year. The company also has the state-of-the-art facility at
its software export complexes which contain all facilities for the
- NIIT has emerged as a specialized solution provider to the countries
in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and the US.
- NIIT has launched its redevelopment technologies curriculum by
offering post-graduate programmes for the year 2000 problem.
- NIIT Ltd, the global software and training organisation, has been
conferred an award for outstanding export performance in computer
software and for research and development in electronics by the
Department of Electronics (DoE). The DoE instituted these awards in
1990 to encourage and recognise excellence in the various sectors of
- NIIT is setting up its third computerdome in Delhi, Computerdome is a
library of hardware and software facilities to be used by students
enrolled with NIIT.
- NIIT Ltd has bagged the Software Technology Parks of India (STPI)
award for the top software exporter, Noida Centre.
- NIIT has also developed CD-ROMs on Crosby concepts such as personal
quality management and problem solving tools.
- NIIT Ltd, the computer training and software services company, has
introduced a quality management programme as an integral part of its
three-year GNIFT scheme aimed at creating software professionals.
- NIIT has entered into a joint venture agreement with the Chinese
government to launch its educational programme in China.
- NIIT is launching NIIT BOOT IT!, a computer literacy programme, on
Doordarshan on July 19. The programme will be presented by Dr. Sugata
Mitra, head of NIIT's R&D, who also conceptualised the programme.
- NIIT Ltd, the global software and training organisation has been
awarded the international quality certificate ISO 9002 for it's
software products group by the prestigious Bureau Veritas Quality
International (BVQI) of Britain.
- NIIT has entered into an agreement with Oracle Corp., under which
Oracle's Education Division will distribute NIIT's Web-playable
Skillettes and other computer based training products through the
Internet via Oracle's Oracle Learning Architecture (OLA).
- NIIT Ltd has entered into a partnership with Silicon Graphics India,
leader in visual computing and web-based solutions, for creating the
Webmaster programme, a new Internet-based programme of studies.
- NIIT is the first company in India to adopt the EVA concept and
implement it in the company and also use it as a performance
- The domestic software training and development major NIIT Ltd is
entering into a strategic alliance with the US-based visual technology
expert Engineering Animation Inc (EAI).
- NIIT Limited, a HCL group company, has signed a joint venture
agreement with CSK Corporation, a $7 billion Japanese company.
- NIIT Ltd, in co-operation with the Hong Kong-based TVE Group and
Pudong Continuing Education Centre of the Shanghai Higher Education
(PCEC), has launched an IT education and training centre in Shanghai.
- NIIT has also introduced Spirit Funds for employees to take up
courses for their personal effectiveness, public speaking, or courses
in foreign languages.
- NIIT Ltd has signed an agreement with Malaysia's first 'Virtual
University' to share technology and design and prepare the course
- NIIT, the leading computer trading institute, has introduced the
Technology Edge, a path-breaking method in Internet-based education
- IT services corporation, NIIT Ltd, has announced the worldwide launch
of India's first learning facility on the Internet for preparing
computer professionals for certification in Microsoft technologies.
- NIIT has launched the Swift accountant programme to train accounting
professionals and commerce students gain proficiency in computerised
- NIIT has emerged the No. 1 company in the packaged software sales
- NIIT has launched an integrated enterprise-wide information
technology training solution called eMPOWER-IT.
- NIIT has entered into an alliance with Microsoft Corporation to
launch the Microsoft Sales Specialist Programs.
- NIIT Ltd is launching a one-stop shop solution for schools wishing to
impart training through computers.
- The company also bagged a letter of intent from the Malaysian
government to develop the science curriculum for the Smart Schools
project. Malaysia is NIIT's largest overseas market for computer
training with over 14 NIIT education centres.
- NIIT and Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC) have signed a
memorandum of understanding (MoU) to offer finite element analysis
(FEA) software solutions, and engineering services and consultancy.
- NIIT, a leading software training company in India with extensive
operations abroad, has launched Project Platypus a technology
initiative that will enhance the content and delivery mechanism of IT
- NIIT Ltd, the software and training major in the country, has
launched a new technology initiative in computer education, which
includes online classroom learning environment, abundant Internet
access and Web-centric curriculum (WCC).
- NIIT, a software and training major, has said it has launched a range
of path-breaking technology initiatives to revolutionise computer
- NIIT has launched Web Centric Curriculum (WCC) for its students to
function in online class room learning environment with abundant
- Information technology major NIIT Ltd, Institute of Quality Ltd (IQL)
and AFL Ltd have entered into a strategic alliance forming the Supply
Chain Consultancy Service (SCCS) to provide consultancy services in
this segment in India.
- Education and training major NIIT will offer free computer training
to 10,000 school teachers across the country.
- Citibank India has entered into an exclusive tie-up with computer
training institute NIIT to offer an unique seven-year Citibank student
loan to students who quality for the newly-launched GNIIT programme.
- NIIT Ltd, the training and software services major, has launched the
- The Company has launched its corporate virtual university programme
in the US and made it available from a single vendor.
- Credit rating agency Crisil has assigned the highest safety rating of
triple A (AAA) to software and IT training company, NIIT Ltd, for its
- The Company launch Linux Software in India.
- NIIT has launched a series of programmes to help learners gain an
edge in e-commerce and convergence applications skills.
- NIIT is to set up a separate subsidiary, NIIT Online Learning Ltd.
- NIIT Ltd is poised to set up a subsidiary in China through a joint
venture with TVE International.
- The Company has entered a strategic alliance with Sun Microsystems to
jointly develop technical strategies for dot coms.
- IT education major, NIIT has tied up with indiaproperties.com to
provide technology courses for the real estate industry and
professionals connected with it like builders, brokers, consultants and
- Computer education and software services firm, NIIT had tied up with
the Information and Industrial Systems & Services division of Toshiba
Corp to offer e-business solutions to a Japanese auto maker.
- At the joint initiative of NIIT and its subsidiary Accolade Software,
the first fully export-oriented software development unit of Assam was
formally inaugurated on 7th August.
- The Company has bagged a $10.6 million e-knowledge solutions order
from Macmillan USA, Inc.
- NIIT has opened its third Computer Education Centre in Guwahati.
- The Company has joined NETg@Custom Developer Alliance program.
- The Company has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Delhi
Government to set up 30 computers in resettlement and slum areas of
Delhi so as to reach to the grass root level.
- NIIT, the major e-business solutions corporation, was assigned to
create a business-to-consumer communication portal by Japanese system
integrator NTT Data.
- The Delhi-based NIIT Ltd. and Apollo Hospitals Group are jointing
hands to create 'MeDVarsity', an Internet-based virtual medical
university to cater to the medical fraternity.
- NIIT has entered into a global strategic alliance with Computer-logic
Inc, a leading provider of technology solutions for the $260-billion
automotive aftermarket industry for over 22 years.
- NIIT, has signed a 'Partnership for development' agreement with the
Commonwealth of Australia.
- NIIT has tied up with US-based wireless platform and solutions
provider, Veriprise Wireless to offer mobile solutions.
- Citibank, International Finance Corporation and NIIT have together
signed an agreement to start a Rs 400 crore student loan programme for
high-tech education provided by NIIT.
-NIIT has tied up with Alcatel to address large enteprise accounts in
India and global markets in banking, financial and insurance sectors.
NIIT will also partner Alcatel in domestic projects like the Rs
550-crore Delhi Metro Rail and VSNL project.
- NIIT Ltd has been awarded a multi-million software maintenance,
support and enhancement contract by Victorian Government of
-The Board of Directors of NIIT Ltd appointed Mr K K Darbha as the
Company Secretary and Compliance Officer of the company.
- NIIT Software ties-up with SunGard Planning Solutions, USA for
disaster recovery solutions.
-NIIT, a leading global IT solutions provider on March 27, 2002 announced the acquisition of Osprey Systems, a privately held full life cycle SAP solutions and SAP Services and Channel Partner headquartered in Charlotte USA.
-To give a distinct identity to its software operations, NIIT has re-named its Global Software Business, NIIT Technologies.
- Dr B R Ambedkar Open University and India's first IT training organisation, NIIT Ltd have joined hands to offer quality computer education to over 50,000 students pursuing undergraduate programs in Andhra Pradesh. A Memorandum of Understanding to this effect was exchanged at a function held here today (July 12, 2002).
-NIIT Ltd has signed a Memorandum of Understanding to form an academic alliance with the US based ITT Educational Services Inc. (ITT/ESI) As part of this MOU the ITT Technical Institute in Indianapolis, USA will offer ITT/ESI's 4 year bachelor's degree in IT with specialization in Information Systems Security (BS- ISS) program to NIIT students in India.
-NIIT Ltd and Indonesia's University of Atma Jaya conclude a strategic initiative of
setting up high-tech computer Education centre at the University campus in Yogyakarta
-NIIT launches redesigned curriculum for Swift Jyoti for women.
-NIIT Ltd acquires e-Gurukul, a provider of e-learning in schools for Rs.15cr.
-NIIT launches the first of the series of programmes at the school level for class IX
-NIIT ties up with Karnataka State Open University and New-Delhi based Virtual
-NIIT bags the export award for Excellence in Exports,in recognition of its
innovative training and technical services.
-Computer Education Centre NIIT launches a GNIIT scholarship programme for
the acedemic year 2003-04.
-NIIT Franchise Association charges NIIT for shifting its base to China and also
for winding up 1000 centres.
-NIIT join hands with Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogic Vishwavidyalaya, based in MP
provides 4year B-Tech courses.
-NIIT says that it was now part of the 'Superbrands' from India listing.
-NIIT Ltd enters into an agreement with SNDT Women's University,Mumbai to offer
Swift Jyoti for women.
-New company by carving out the Global Solutions Business out of the Company after appropriate segregation of the Knowledge Solutions Business and authorized the preparation of a Scheme of Arrangement.
-NIIT Technologies, the Global Solutions business of NIIT, opened a new Software Development Center at New Delh.
-NIIT board approves spin-off scheme
- IT training and education major NIIT has entered into an exclusive agreement with Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) to train its members and students on personal computing skills and specially designed tasks.
- Announces 'Swift Jyoti', with a curriculum specially tailored to meet women needs
-Introduces a new post-graduate diploma in the .Net technology
- NIIT has joined hands with IIT Delhi to create an intensive learning programme for the sunrise bioinformatics field.
- NIIT inks pact with Microsoft to launch IT programmes for faculty
-NIIT ties up with Reliance Info for call centre training
-- NIIT has introduced a new 'industry endorsed' multiple track GNIIT programme for career aspirants in IT
-Mr Arvind Thakur, Whole-time Director of the Company, has resigned from the Board of NIIT Ltd and has been appointed as the CEO and whole time Director of NIIT Technologies Ltd at the Board meeting of the respective company held on June 12, 2004
-NIIT launches 2nd national aptitude test
-NIIT - CM Dr Raman Singh launches Computer Education' in 1200 Chhattisgarh schools
-NIIT & INTEL India collaborates on joint training programs
-NIIT to collaborate in field of Textile Dyes & Intermediate for manufacturing, packaging & supply.
-NIIT & UK's Open University forge academic alliance
-NIIT partners with ICICI Bank on 26, September, 2006 to enter Financial Services Training.
-The Company has issued Bonus Shares in the Ratio of 1:2.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs2/-.
-NIIT Ltd has announced that Educational Testing Service (ETS), the world's leading educational measurement and research organization, and NIIT have entered into a strategic alliance to offer ETS suite of products in India.
- NIIT Ltd has tied up with Adobe to launch first ever state-of-art Web & Multimedia curriculum for Schools in India.