|Our Company was incorporated on November 7, 1975 under the Companies Act as a private limited company under the name "National Thermal Power Corporation Private Limited", and the word 'Private' was deleted on September30, 1976 consequent upon the notification issued by the GoI exemptinggovernment companies from the use of word 'private'. in their
name. On September 30,1985, our Company was converted from a private limited company into a public limited company.Subsequently, the name of our Company was changed to its present name NTPC Limited. and a fresh certificate of incorporation was issued on October
28, 2005. The name of our Company was changed to reflect the diversification of our business operations beyond thermal power generation to include,among others, generation of power from hydro, nuclear and renewable energy sourcesand undertaking coal mining and oil exploration activities.
For further information on our business including description of our activities, services, market of each segment, our growth, technology, market, managerial competence and capacity built-up, our standing with reference to our prominent competitors, see "Our Business" and "Industry Overview"on pages 55 and 44, respectively.
For further information on our business including description of our activities, services, market of each segment, our growth, technology, market, managerial competence and capacity built-up, our standing with reference to our prominent competitors, see "Our Business" and "Industry Overview" on pages 55 and 44, respectively.
Our Company is not operating under any injunction or restraining order.
In July 1976, the registered office of our Company was changed from Shram Shakti Bhawan, New Delhi to Kailash Building, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi. Subsequently, in May 1979 the registered office of our Company was shifted to NTPC Square, 62-63, Nehru Place, New
Delhi and thereafter in October 1988 to its present location for administrative and operational efficiency.
1975 - Incorporation of our Company
1978 - Takeover of management of the Badarpur project
1982 - Commissioning of the first 200MW unit at Singrauli Center for education at Power Management Institute, Delhi established First direct foreign currency borrowing . a consortium of foreign banks led by Standard Chartered Merchant Bank extends a loan of GBP
298.41 million for the Rihand project
1984 - The transmission line based on High Voltage Direct Current (Â¡Â°HVDCÂ¡Â±) technology, commissioned for power transmission from Rihand to Delhi Singrauli project received World Bank loan of US$ 150 million through GoI
1986 - Synchronized first 500MW unit at Singrauli Our Company became one of the first PSUs to issue bonds in the debt market
1987 - 5,000 MW installed capacity mark crossed
1988 - First syndicated Japanese loan of 30 billion JPY raised
1989 - Consultancy division of our Company launched First unit (88 MW) of our Company.s first gas based combined cycle power plant at Anta, Rajasthan commissioned
1990 - Total installed capacity of 10,000 MW reached
1992 - First acquisition by our Company of Feroze Gandhi Unchahar Thermal Power Station (2x210MW) from Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam of Uttar Pradesh The
transmission systems owned by our Company were transferred to Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (Â¡Â°PGCILÂ¡Â±) pursuant to legislation by the Parliament of India
1993 - IBRD extended direct loan of US$400 million to our Company under time slice concept for its projects
1994 - 15,000 MW of installed capacity achieved Maiden declaration of dividend of Rs. 650 million Jhanor-Gandhar (Gujarat) becomes our first thermal power station to have
commissioned an integrated Liquid Waste Treatment Plant
1997 - 'Navratna' status granted by the GoI100 billion units generation in one year achieved A consortium of foreign banks led by Sumitomo Bank, Hong Kong extends foreign
currency loan of 5 billion Japanese Yen for the first time without GoI guarantee
1998 - Commissioned the first Naphtha based plant at Kayamkulam with a capacity of 350 MW
1999 - Our Company.s Dadri thermal power project, Uttar Pradesh adjudged the best in India with a PLF of 96.12% Dadri thermal power project, Uttar Pradesh certified with
2002 - Three wholly owned subsidiaries, viz., NTPC Electric Supply Company Limited, NTPC Hydro Limited and NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Limited incorporated ESP [Electrostatic precipitators) set up at Talcher power plant 20,000 MW installed capacity mark exceeded
2003 - Our Company undertook debt re-structuring. Raised funds through bonds (Series XIII and XIV) Construction of first hydro-electric power project of 800 MW capacity in Himachal Pradesh commenced after the investment approval
2004 - The award of contract for the first Super Critical Thermal Power Plant at Sipat Reached a total installed capacity of 22,249 MW with the Talcher Unit V getting synchronized on May 13, 2004 Our Company.s Feroze Gandhi Unchahar Thermal station achieves a record PLF of 87.43% in current year up from 18.02% in February 92 when it was taken over by us LIC extends credit facility for Rs. 70 billion. Rs. 40 billion is in the form of unsecured loans and Rs.
30 billion is in the form of bonds Our Company makes its debut issue of euro bonds amounting to USD 200 million in the international market First coal mining block allotted Listing of our Equity Shares on the Stock Exchanges
2005 - Our Company received the International Project Management Award 2005 for its Simhadri project at the International Project Management Association World Congress. Oil block allocated under NELP V Our Company adopted core values 'BCOMIT' (Buisness Ethics, Customer Focus, Organisational Pride, Mutual Respect and Trust, Innovation and Speed and Total Quality for Excellence) Our Company ranked as the Third Great Place to work
for in India for second time in succession by a survey conducted by Grow Talent and Business World 2005
-Company has changed its name from National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd. to NTPC Ltd
2006 - Badarpur Thermal Power Station having an installed capacity of 705 MW transferred to our Company
2007 - MoC, GoI granted in-principle approval for allocation of a new coal block, Chatti-Bariatu (South) to our Company subject to the conditions stipulated in the approval letter. The share of reserves is estimated to be 354 Million Tonnes
- Our Company adjudged as the Star PSU - 2008 Board expanded by appointment of five independent Directors India Power Award conferred on Centre for Power Efficiency and
- Memorandum of understanding entered into with the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited ("NPCIL") for development of nuclear power in India 30,000 MW installed capacity mark crossed Long term fuel supply agreement signed with Coal India Limited for supply of coal to our power stations for a period of 20 years
Our Company acquired 44.6% of presently paid-up capital of Kerala and Transformers and Electricals Kerala Limited from Government of Kerala at a total consideration of Rs. 313.4 million,
subject to final price to be based on the valuation of the assets of Kerala and Transformers and Electricals Kerala Limited. Kerala and Transformers and Electricals Kerala Limited is engaged in manufacturing and repair of heavy duty transformers International Gold Star Quality Award conferred on Centre for Power Efficiency and Environmental Protection.
- NTPC enters MOU with Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. (NPCIL) to work together for development of Nuclear Power in India and for this purpose to form a Joint Venture Company for setting up Nuclear Power Projects.
- NTPC inks JV agreement with SAIL, RINL, Coal India and NMDC.
- NTPC and EPC firm Larsen and Toubro are among the companies that have shown interest in partnering Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) in its $750-million LNG import terminal at Ennore near Chennai.
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd. has said that it has tripled the volume of natural gas that it buys from Reliance Industries at the government-approved price of $4.2 per
mBtu, to 1.81 mn standard cubic meters a day (mscmd).
- NTPC has signed a pact with Gujarat Power Corporation (GPCL) in order to execute 500 MW renewable energy based projects, preferably wind and solar energy in the state.
- Ntpc Limited has informed that: "A Joint Venture Agreement has been executed on 27.04.2010 between NTPC Limited and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) for formation of a Public Limited Company to set up nuclear power project with two nuclear reactor units which may be extended to setting-up additional Nuclear Power Projects subject to techno-economic viability.
- NTPC Ltd signed production sharing contracts with the government.
- An MOU has been signed between NTPC Ltd and Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) on mutual co-operation between the parties for development of Power Sector in Bangladesh.
- Joint Venture signed between NTPC Ltd. (NTPC) and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. (NPCIL) has been Incorporated on January 27, 2011 under the name 'Anushakti Vidhyut Nigam Ltd' (Company). NPCIL shall hold 51% of the equity share capital and NTPC shall hold the balance 49% of the equity share capital of the Company.
- NTPC-BHEL Power Projects Ltd. (NBPPL), a joint venture (JV) between NTPC and BHEL, has reported strong financial performance by crossing a turnover of Rs. 100 crore in the very first year of its commercial operations.
- NTPC - Signed MOU with Government of Kerala
- NTPC signed partnership with IWAI and Jindal ITF
- National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd signed the Joint Venture Agreement between Company and Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), Sri Lanka
- NTPC bagged USD 8.8 mn O&M order from Electricity Generation Company of Bangladesh Ltd(EGCB).
- NTPC signs $1.5bn deal with Bangladeshâs PDB to set up 1,320 MW plant
- NTPC - Signs Joint Venture Agreement with Bangladesh Power Development Board
- NTPC - NTPC Ltd signed a loan facility of USD 100 million with Mizuho Corporate Bank Ltd
- NTPC inks loan deal with Japanese Bank
- India's power producing giant NTPC Ltd signed a loan agreement worth Rs 600 crore with the Jammu & Kashmir Bank.
-NTPC inks term loan agreement with SBI New York, Mizuho Corporate Bank Singapore
-NTPC commissions Mouda Super Thermal project; begins commercial operations
-NTPC commissions Unit-II of Vindhyachal Super Thermal Power Station
-NTPC Signed a MoU with Government of Andhra Pradesh (GoAP)
-NTPC starts operation of unit 2 at Mouda Super Thermal plant
-NTPC starts commercial operation at Talcher power plant
-NTPC starts commercial production at two units
-NTPC starts operations of Barh Super Thermal Power Station, Stage-II
-NTPC debuts into hydro generation. Unit no. 2 of 200 MW of Koldam Hydro Power Project has been commissioned
-NTPC to set up ITI in Odisha
-NTPC Ltd signed Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Andhra Pradesh Eastern Power Distribution Company Limited
-NTPC Torrent win gas subsidy auction
-NTPC Investment approval of 1600 MW Telangana Super Thermal Power
-NTPC invites tenders for solar project in AP
-NTPC gets investment approval for two projects
-NTPC signs contract with IIT Kanpur for R&D
-NTPC inaugurates Data Recovery Centre at Secunderabad