- The Company was incorporated on 26th April, under the name of Indian Schering, Ltd., U.K. as a subsidiary of British Schering, Ltd.
- E. Griffiths Hughes, Ltd. of which British Schering, Ltd., U.K. was a subsidiary was taken over by Aspro-Nicholas, Ltd., U.K. Since then, the principal owners of the Company belonged to the Nicholas Group of Companies whose ultimate holding company, Nicholas International, Ltd.,
Melbourne, Australia, are well known for their registered trade marks "Aspro", "Asmapax", "Albucid", "Olycrol", "Neutradonna", etc.
- 5,000 Bonus Equity shares issued in prop. 5:1 on 30.6.1967.
- Nicholas of India, Ltd. transferred to the Company the business and undertaking of its Indian branch as a going concern with effect from 1st July. The name of the Company was changed from Indian Schering, Ltd. to Nicholas Laboratories India, Ltd., with effect from 27th
- The non-resident holding in the Company was reduced to 39.59% after the issue and allotment of shares to the public during November.
- Shares subdivided on 28.8.1979. 6,00,000 Bonus shares of Rs 10 each issued in prop. 10:1 on 4.10.1979. 8,03,600 shares of Rs 10 each then issued (pre. Re.1 per share): 25,000 shares reserved and allotted to the existing Indian shareholders as rights; 5,12,200 shares reserved
and allotted to financial institutions (2,62,200 shares to UTI and 1,25,000 shares each to LIC and GIC); 40,000 shares reserved for allotment to employees, etc. of the Company and 2,26,400 shares offered to the public in November 1979.
- The Company issued 15% non-convertible debentures of the aggregate value of Rs 50 lakhs on a private placement basis. These debentures are redeemable at a premium of 5% at the end of the 7th year from the date of allotment viz., 24th June, 1985.
- The Pharmaceutical division of the Company introduced another medicine called `Mono Sorbitrate' for cardiac patients.
- During July-August, Aspro Nicholas PLC, U.K., voluntarily diluted all its shareholding of 5,84,760 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each by an offer for sale at a premium of Rs 35 per share. Out of this, 3,62,177 shares were sold to Swastik Safe Deposit & Investments, Ltd. Out of the remaining 2,22,583 shares, 29,238 shares were reserved for allotment to the employees of the Company but only 8,350 share taken up.
- The balance of 1,93,345 shares, along with the unsubscribed portion of 20,888 shares out of the employees quota, were offered to the Indian resident shareholders of the Company in the proportion 11:50 (All were taken up).
- With effect from 1st April, Gujarat Glass Ltd. (GGL) was merged with the Company. As per the terms of the scheme 16,50,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each of the Company were allotted to the equity shareholders of GGL without payment in cash in the ratio of one equity
share of the Company for every two shares held in GGL.
- During the year, the new formulation plant at Pithampur in Madhya Pradesh was commissioned.
- The Company proposed to diversify the glass division activity into non-pharmaceutical field. The new TPD borosilicate plant was implemented.
- The Company proposed to undertake an ambitious expansion plan over the next two years by setting up soda lime plant of 65 TPD, relining and modernisation of BRS plant, doubling of the present form fill seal capacity and setting up a bulk drug plant.
- 31,13,600 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company was setting up a second formulation plant at Pithampur in Madhya Pradesh with the State-of-the-art manufacturing facilities. The plant was commissioned in March.
- During February/March the Company offered to shareholders 15,56,800 - 12.5% partly convertible debentures of Rs 100 each on rights basis in the ratio of 1 debenture: 4 equity shares held. Additional 2,33,520 debentures were allotted to retain oversubscription.
- Another 77,840-12.5% partly convertible debentures of Rs 10 each were offered to the employees of the Company on an equitable basis. Additional 11,676 debentures were allotted to retain oversubscription.
- Part A of Rs 50 of each debenture was to be converted into 1 equity share of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 40 per share at the end of six months from the date of allotment.
- Part B of Rs 50 of each debenture was to be redeemed at par in three annual instalments of Rs 17, Rs 17 and Rs 16 respectively at the expiry of 8th, 9th and 10th years from the date of allotment.
- With effect from 2nd December, the name of the Company was changed from `Nicholas Laboratories, Ltd.' to `Nicholas Piramal India, Ltd.'
- 18,79,836 shares allotted (prem. Rs 40 per share) in part conversion of debentures.
- The Company entered into a joint venture agreement with Allergan of U.S.A., the leading manufacturers of Ophthalmic products.
- 4,053,518 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:2 to the existing shareholders, 30,30,000 shares issued to Financial Institution at a price of Rs 330 per share.
- The Company proposed to enhance manufacturing facilities at Pithampur to cater to the growing market reqirements of the Pharma Division notably in Generics and Exports.
- A joint venture agreement was entered into with Sateliec, France for dental care products. Also proposed to set up a joint venture overseas-one in southern part of Africa and the other in Vietnam.
- 22,00,000 No. of Equity shares issued at a premium of Rs 80 per share on conversion of warrants issued along with Non-convertible debentures.
- The Company entered into a scheme of arrangement with Sumitra Pharmaceutical and Chemicals Ltd. (SPCL) Hyderabad. Under the scheme bulk drug division of SPCL shall stand transferred and vested in the Company effective April.
- Anand Piramal Investments, Ltd. and Swati Piramal Investments, Ltd. are subsidiaries of the Company.
- The Company has entered into a product tie-up with F. Hoffman-La-Roche and Boehringer Mannheim, both leads in Pharma research.
- The Flaconnage (Glass) Division successfully commissioned 5 MW captive power plant at Kosamba to insulate the division from the vagaries of power availability and tariff increases.
- With effect from 1st April, Boehringer Mannheim India Ltd. (BMIL) was merged with company. As per the terms of the scheme 17,73,402 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each of the company were allotted to the equity share holders of BMIL in the ratio of 1 equity shares of the company
for every 2 shares held in BMIL.
- With effect from 1st April, the company entered into a scheme of arrangement with Piramal Healthcare Ltd. (PHL). As per the terms of the scheme 75,05,004 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each of the company were allotted to the equity shareholders of PHL in the ratio of 3
equity shares of the company for every 4 shares held by PHL.
- The state-of-the-art 230 TPD plant for manufacture of sodaline containers at Jambusar near Baroda was commissioned with an investment of Rs 125 crores.
- NPIL has a joint venture with Allergan, US, for eye care products; Scholl, UK, for foot-care products, and with Cytran, US, for immunological products. The company took over Jenkins Botswana, a formulation company based in South Africa.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL), the Rs.500-crore pharmaceutical major, has entered into a marketing agreement with Stryker Corporation of the US, for surgical and medical products.
- Piramal International has been incorporated with an initial capital of Rs.359 crore for entering into pharma joint ventures abroad.
- NPIL entered into an agreement with Reckitt & Colman for joint marketing of the latter's OTC products in India.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL) and Ambalal Sarabhai Enterprises (ASE) have entered into a 50:50 joint venture for the marketing of human health products of ASE's Suhrid-Geigy division.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL), Reckitt & Colman Plc and Reckitt & Colman of India (RCI) on October 15, announced a three-way joint venture for the marketing of over-the-counter (OTC) products. NPIL and Reckitt & Colman Plc will hold 40 per cent each of the Rs.10-crore equity of the new company, Reckitt Piramal, and RCI, 20 per cent.
- Nicholas Piramal is transferring Aspro and Lacto Calamine to the joint venture, while Boots will bring in Strepsils and Sweetex besides some other brands.
- 10,39,410 shares allotted to shareholders of Sumitra Pharmaceutical & Chemicals Ltd. pursuant to the scheme of arrangement with the company.
- A memorandum of understanding has been signed with a major European chemicals company to start manufacturing speciality chemicals with equity partnership. The final agreement is expected to be entered into in the next four to six weeks.
- Nicholas Piramal, a company built by mergers and acquisitions, has acquired the basic research unit of Hoechst Marion Roussel (India) at Mulund on the outskirts of Mumbai for about Rs.20 crore.
- Nicholas Piramal is getting into a three-way joint venture in food additives, a completely new area of business for the group.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL) has forged a 49:51 joint venture with 274-million pounds Boots Healthcare International (BHI) to develop and market consumer healthcare products in India.
- Nicholas will form a new company in which it will hold 50 per cent stake, with up to three foreign partners sharing the remaining equity.
- Nine products were launched in the first nine months of the year including Recormon, Accutrend, Amexyl, Orthrobid Gel and Carvetrend.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL) has become the first Indian pharmaceutical company to join the Industrial Liaison Programme (ILP) of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd, the pharmaceutical major, has identified an anti-cancer molecule at its research centre for which it wants to file a global patent application.
- Nicholas Piramal has entered into an arrangement with the UK-based Norton Healthcare to develop three formulations set to go off patent by 2000.
- The Company has to raise capital by way of international offering by issue of securities through ADRs/ADS, for an amount upto US$ 100 million.
- The Company has signed an agreement with the CSIR-affiliated Centre for Biochemical Technology for collaborative research in the field of gene technology.
- The Company has entered into a research alliance with Hindustan Lever for developing "Cosmoceuticals" and personal care products.
- The Company and Banner Pharmacaps (India) announced that they had signed a memorandum of understanding to m anufacture several of NPIL's nutraceutical products as soft gelatin capsules.
- The Company is launching a slew of new products in 2000-01 as its targets a sales growth of 20 per cent in the current fiscal.
- The Industrial Paints Division of the company would be hived off into a separate joint venture company with an international player.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd. (NPIL) has tied up with the Centre for Biochemical Technology (CBT) for conducting basic research in genomics.
- The Company has entered into a `knowledge-based' collaboration with the Centre for Biochemical Technology for the study of genomics.
- The Company acquired a 40 per cent stake in Rhone-Poulenc India Ltd
- which makes it the second largest pharmaceutical group in India.
- Nicholas Piramal India has pulled out of its 50:50 joint venture with the UK-based Scholl Plc (now known as Seton-Scholl Healthcare Plc).
- Nicholas Piramal group is close to acquire a 27.72 per cent equity stake in German Remedies Ltd. at a price of Rs 400-425 per share.
- The Company has entered into a strategic alliance with MDIndia Healhtcare Services Pvt. Ltd. where NPIL will sponsor five Internet hub centres (IHCs).
- Nicholas Piramal India and the Reckitt Benckinser group are planning to alter the nature of their joint venture, Reckitt Piramal.
-ICI India transfers pharmaceuticals business to Nicholas Piramal.
-The Board of Directors of Nicholas Piramal India Ltd on October 24, 2002 considered & approved the appointment of Mr S Ramadorai as Director of the Company and Dr Swati A Piramal has been re-appointed as Director in Wholetime employment of the company (designated as Director Alliances & Communications) for a period of five years.
-NPIL introduces 10 new anti-allergic drug through newly formed repiratory division ACTIS.
-NPIL is all set for an expansion abroad by setting up subsidaries in the lucrative US and South East Asian Markets.
-Nicholas Piramal India has launched 'a new generation anti-allergic' called 'Airitis' to combat allergic rhinitis in the country.
-NPIL has decided to phase out its version of the drug, Orthobid and replace it with Vah ( valdecoxib), which is said to be a better drug with no side effects.
-NPIl has entered into an agreement with the US base Minrad Inc. for the exclusive distribution and marketing of a new generation of inhalation anesthetic products.
-NPIL stopped the Frame Co-operation Agreement with F Hoffman La Roche.
-NPIL with a capital investment of Rs 4-5 cr is expanding the capacity of its Contract Research Organization(CRO).
-Nicholas Piramal India Ltd has procured Rs.10 million foreign loan through External Commercial Borrowing(ECB) arranged by Rabo Bank International.
-NPIL has informed the changes in the board of directors
1. Mr. R A Shah, Mr. M R Shroff, and Mr.G P Goenka who were retiring are re-appointed as directors.
2. Mr. Rajesh Khanna, Mr. Deepak Satwalekar and Mr S Ramdorai are appointed as directors.
-Nicholas Piramal India & Advanced Medical Optics sign agreement for supply of products
-The country's second largest pharamceutical company, Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL), has undergone major changes at the top level. Four senior officials of the company have relinquished their posts. They are: NPIL senior vice-president finance V Hariharan, president (Actis division) Sainath Iyer, vice-president (exports) SM Raina, and vice- president (knowledge resources) Srikumar Chattopadhyay. The company has already made replacements for the vacant posts. Rajesh Ladda has joined NPIL as the company's new senior vice-president (finance). Sailesh Gadre has joined as president (Actis division). Ananth Narayan will be the new vice-president (exports), while Sohail Abidi is the company's new vice-president (knowledge resources).
-Nicholas forges alliance with scientists from Imperial College of the UK to carry out research in the field of rheumatoid arthritis
-Pharma major Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL) has entered into a research collaboration with the Bangalore-based Indian Institute of Science (IISc) to identify potential new targets for developing drugs to treat fungal infections.
- Nicholas Piramal revamps operations
-Nicholas Piramal seals an In-Licensing Agreement with Genzyme Corporation for Indian Market
-Nicholas Piramal India has set up a new research & development centre in Chennai that is to complement its partnership with the Anna University in the area of drug discovery
-NPIL joins hands with NII for research on inflammation drugs
-Nicholas Piramal - In-licensing Agreement with Ethypharm, France
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd's (NPIL) Wellquest, the independent clinical research division becomes the first Indian CRO (Clinical Research Organization) to receive the Statement of GCP (Good Clinical Practices) Compliances from the UK MHRA (Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency), for clinical studies carried out to support the registration of generics products in the international regulated markets.
-NPIL ties up with 7 global pharma firms
-Nicholas Piramal acquires Avecia Pharmaceuticals, UK
-Piramal Enterprises Ltd Issues Rights in the Ratio of 1:10
-Nicholas Piramal signs agreement to acquire Pfizer's Morpeth, UK Facility with potential outsourcing revenues exceeding US$35
-Nicholas Piramal India Ltd. has informed regarding a press release dated November 17,2006, titled "BioSyntech signs scientific collaboration agreement with Nicholas Piramal".
-Nicholas Piramal - Acquisition of PfizerÂs Morpeth UK facility
-Nicholas Piramal - BioSyntech signs scientific collaboration agreement with the Company
-Nicholas Piramal India Ltd and Napo Pharmaceuticals, Inc on January 22, 2007 announced that they have entered into a Plant Screening Agreement to discover novel diabetes therapeutic agents.
- Nicholas Piramal has spun off its new chemical entity and herbal drug research division into a stand-alone company with plans to list it on the stock exchanges.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd has forayed into a 49:51 joint-venture with Japan-based Arkray Inc to market diagnostic products.
- Company name has been changed from Nicholas Piramal India Ltd to Piramal Healthcare Ltd.
-Nicholas Piramal acquires Anafortan & CEFI Brand Groups from Khandelwal Laboratories Pvt Ltd
-Piramal Healthcare Ltd to acquire Minrad International, Inc.
-Nicholas Piramal - Piramal Group announces launch of new corporate identity
-Piramal Healthcare - Acquisition of U.S. Inhalation Anesthetic Gas Distribution Business of RxElite Inc
-Piramal to foray into Phytopharma
-Piramal Healthcare launches BioElectronic`s ActiPatch
- Piramal Health - Piramal Healthcare Limited Acquires "i-pill", India's No 1 emergency.
- Piramal Healthcare has purchased Cipla's i-pill - an oral contraceptive brand, for Rs. 95 crore.
- Abbott-Piramal deal done for $3.72 billion
- Piramal Health to buy Biosyntech for $3.8 mn
-Piramal employees to get up to 6 month's salary as bonus
- Piramal Healthcare buys back Rs 2,508 cr shares
- Piramal Healthcare has entered into an agreement with telecom major Vodafone Essar to acquire 5.5 percent stake in the equity share capital of Vodafone Essar Limited
- Piramal Healthcare gets European regulatory approval for bio-orthopaedic product
- "Piramal Healthcare Limited acquires molecular imaging development portfolio of Bayer Pharma".
- Piramal Healthcare secures DCGI nod for Phase-2 trial of cancer drug
- Piramal Healthcare has acquired UK-based market analytics and market access solutions firm Abacus International.
-Company has changed its name from Piramal Healthcare Ltd. to Piramal Enterprises Ltd.
-Piramal Enterprises Limited acquires 10% Equity Stake in Shriram Transport Finance Company Limited.
-"Piramal Enterprises acquires the brand CALADRYL in India".
-Piramal Enterprises acquires Caladryl brand in India
-Piramal forms JV with Navin Fluorine to develop applications in healthcare
-Piramal Enterprises clarifies on buzz over selling diagnostic solution business
-APG and Piramal Enterprises Limited Announce Strategic Investment Alliance.
-Piramal Enterprises considers potential acquisition of Kentucky based Specialty Pharmaceutical CDMO, Coldstream Laboratories Inc.
-Piramal Enterprises - Company's consumer products division has acquired five trademark rights for India from Organon India Pvt. Ltd. and MSD BV. for a consideration of Rs 92 Crore.
-Piramal Enterprises enters the list of top 100 brands in the brand finance India 100 report
-Piramal Enterprises receives 'Silver AwardÂ for iCan at the APPIES APAC Awards
-Piramal Imaging Announces Strategic Partnership with PET Pharm Biotech for Exclusive Commercialization of Neuraceq in Taiwan
-Piramal Enterprises enters into an agreement to acquire Ash Stevens Inc., a US based CDMO for High Potency APIs (HPAPIs)
-Piramal Enterprises enters an agreement to acquire four brands from Pfizer Limited for its Consumer Products Business
-Piramal Enterprises launches IndiaÂs first ever Benzocaine based throat spray - Throatsil