1961 - The company was incorporated in 1961 at Pollachi, Tamil Nadu and
it manufactures Sugar and Spirit. The sugar is produced by the
double sulphitation process.
1965 - The company set up the Hybrid Seed Department, in order to
develop seed cultivation and also to introduce high yielding
varieties and hybrid seeds such as hybrid sorghum, bajra and
- The Hybrid Seed Department entered into contracts with various
ryots. The Company also set up its machanised seed processing
equipment in Arasur Village, Coimbatore, to process the seeds
obtained from ryots.
1974 - A neutral alcohol plant to produce 550 gallons per day and an
absolute alcohol plant with a capacity of 100 gallons per day
were erected as part of the distillery.
1977 - Rate of dividend on 18,000-9.3% pref. shares raised to 11% from
12th October, and redemption date extended to 11th October
1978 - 5,00,000 No. of equity shares issued privately. Only 4,00,000
shares taken up.
1979 - 61,940 more equity shares out of the 1978-79 issue taken up.
1980 - 38,000 more equity shares taken up.
1981 - 18,43,180 Rights Equity shares issued at par.
1982 - A special programme for cotton seed production was carried out by
this department on behalf of the Govt. of Maharashtra.
1984 - The Company entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
M/s. Societe Generals Pour Les Techniques Nouvelles (SGN) of
France for treatment of distillery effluent.
- An agreement was entered into with M/s. B.S. Smogles SpA, Italy
for the manufacture of random PVC Corrugated rings for effluent
1985 - The distillery worked only for 250 days and there was a further
decline in alcohol production.
- The Company applied to the Central Govt. for a licence to set up
a sugar factory at Sivaganga in Pasumpon Muthuramalingam district
of Tamil Nadu, a centrally declared backward area, but abundant
in sugar cane.
1986 - The Company received a letter of intent for setting up the
Sugar Factory at Siyaganan, with a capacity of 2,500 TCD.
- The Company undertook to raise the cane area from 4,850 hectares
to 10,000 hectares by various cane development programme.
1987 - The performance of the foundry was affected by the labour unrest
for nearly two months in May/June, 1988, besides heavy power cut
during the period.
- 6,000-11% Pref. shares redeemed on 11th October. 23,13,640 No.
of Equity shares at par (prop. 5:8) and 1,37,272 Pref. shares at
par (prop. 2 Pref. : 50 Equity) were issued as rights in Feb.
1989. 1,15,680 No. of equity shares issued to employees. All
shares taken up.
1988 - The effluent treatment plant in the Distillery unit of the
Company was commissioned on 19th August. The foreign
collaborators offered the Company the entire territory in the
country for marketing their know-how and technology. Approval of
the Central Govt. in this connection was awaited.
1989 - The Pollution Control Division installed effluent treatment
plants in 1/2 distilleries. Further, PVC corrugated rings and
engineering details were supplied to one distillery in Punjab.
- The Company commenced marketing drugs, pharmaceuticals and allied
products as a part of its diversification programme.
1990 - Three more effluent treatment plants were installed in 3
- The Company tookover on management basis for a period of 10
years, the co-operative sugar factory at Barambagarh post, Cuttak
district in Orissa having a cane crushing capacity of 1250 TCD.
Steps were being taken to start the mill by the middle of
- The company revalued its lands other than at Aivaganga Sugar
unit and Foundry unit as on 31st March at the Guidelines values
for registration. The net increase of Rs 9,94,000 arising out
of revaluation was credited to capital reserve.
1991 - The foundary division was indentified by Maruti Udyog Ltd., as a
potential source for export quality components needed by their
export oriented YE2 model vehicles.
- The Company proposed to set up a soya bean project in the
Sakthinagar Complex for extraction of edible oil and manufacture
of edible preparation and animal feed stock.
- Four more effluent treatment plants were being set up during the
year. A pilot plant was also being set up in-house for the
secondary treatment of distillery effluent. Two more effluent
treatment plants were installed in other distilleries. Five more
plants were under execution.
- Merger of Sakthi Soya Ltd. with the company, the soya division
merged with broadly diversified ranged of products.
- 16,32,000 No. of equity shares were allotted to erstwhile
shareholders Sakthi Sugar Ltd.
- The Company received a letter of intent to set up a Sugar Unit of
2,500 TCD capacity and a Distillery unit of 10,000 kilo litres
per annum capacity at Dhankanal in Orissa. Effective steps were
taken to implement the project. Molasses, the by-product of both
the Sugar units of Orissa were to be the raw material for the
unit. Also, the units multifuel boilers could be run with coal
and baggasse thus saved was to be used as a raw material for the
paper industry to be put up in future.
- The Company privately placed with Citibank N.A. 20,00,000-14%
secured redeemable non-convertible debentures (IIIrd series) of
Rs 100 each to part finance the cost of the new sugar project at
- The Company issued 4,00,000-14% secured redeemable
non-convertible bedentures of Rs 100 each (Series II) on private
placement basis to Canara Bank, Trustee-Canbank Mutual Fund.
These are redeemable at a premium of 5% in three equal
instalments at the end of 6th, 7th, 8th years from the date of
allotment i.e. 13.12.1991.
1992 - During October-November, the Company offered 42,80,970 No. of
equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 35 per share on
Rights basis in the proportion 7:10 (All were taken up).
- Another 2,14,049 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each were offered
to the employees' at a premium of Rs 35 per share on an equitable
basis. (only 98,200 shares taken up). Unsubscribed portion was
allowed to lapse.
1994 - The Company undertook to set up a new distillery with a
production capacity of 30,000 litres of alcohol per day adjacent
to the sugar factory in Dhentana district, Orissa. The
distillery unit suspended its operation from 1st February 1998
pursuant to the order of the Supreme Court on pollution matter.
- The Company proposed to enhance the capacity of the foundry
division to 24000 TPA from 3600 TPA.
- The Company entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
M/s. George Fischer Foundry System Ltd., Switzerland for supply
of their State-of-the-art-technology.
- 43,79,176 No. of equity shares allotted as Rights. 3,00,000
pref. shares allotted in 17th December. 50,000 Pref. shares
allotted in 4th February.
1995 - 16,32,000 No. of equity shares allotted on amalgamation of
Sakthi Soya Ltd. 15,05,210 No. of equity shares allotted to FIs
on conversion of term loan.
1997 - 4,00,000 pref. shares issued.
- The pollution control division of Sakthi Sugars Ltd. has
entered into an agreement with Eastern Chemical Company Ltd. of
Japan to offer total consultancy for setting up a
bio-methanisation plant for their distillery at Chonburu,
- Sakthi Sugars is keen to target auto majors setting up shop in
the country, especially in the South.
1998 - Pollution Control Division has effectively put into use the
know-how obtained from foreign collaborators for setting up
effluent treatment plants in various distilleries.
- The Company are glad to mention that Foundary Unit has been
awarded Quality System ISO 9002 Certification. Further the
Foundry Unit has received Vendor Performance Award from Maruti
1999 - The company 20,44,800 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10 each at par
and to appoint ICICI Securities and Finance Co. Ltd as the
manager to the issue.
- Tamil Nadu Newsprint and Papers Ltd. is on the verge of
finalising a long-term agreement with the Coimbatore-based
Sakthi Sugars for the supply of bagasse.
- The company entered into a joint venture with Case Austoft
Industries, Queensland, in designing the package of implements
for the mechanisation programme.
2000 - The Company proposes to hive off its soya division as a
wholly owned subsidiary, according to a notification from the
Madras Stock Exchange.
- The Company Issue of 1,41,00,000 No. of Equity shares on private
placement basis to the promoter's and/or to companies belonging
to promoter's group or such other person(s) intending to
subscribe for the equity shares of the company.
- The Foundry Division has been hived-off to Sakthi Auto Component,
which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company.
-ABT Ltd. reduces its stake in the company from 11,857,600 equity shares to 8,357,600 equity shares
-Grantham A/c GMO Emerging Markets Fund acquires 1,025,000 shares of Sakthi Sugars Ltd. amounting to 3.70% of the total capital of the company
-ABT Ltd. sells 300,000 shares of the company, stake comes down to 80,57,600 equity shares
- Sakthi Sugars Ltd has appointed Sri. K V Ramaswamy as Additional Director on the Board of Directors of the Company.
- The Company's European subsidiary, Orlandofin BV, has acquired a Swedish Company called 'Arvika Gjuteri AB' having facilities to produce 28,000 MTs per annum of castings for buses, trucks, and heavy off-road vehicles, and a machine shop.
- The Company has appointed Sri. C Rangamani as Additional Director on the Board of the Company.
- Appointment of Sri M Balasubramaniam as Joint Managing Director-Finance and Sri M Srinivaasan as Joint Managing Director-Technical
- Entered into a Master Restructuring Agreement with the Lenders in respect of restructuring of its debts under the Corporate Debt Restructuring Scheme announced by Reserve Bank of India.
- Appointed Sri T Santhanakumar as Nominee Director.
- Reappointed Sri. V. K. Swaminathan as Executive Director.
- The Company's wholly owned subsidiary, Sakthi Auto Component Limited has acquired a Company in Mauritius by name Sakthi Auto Mauritius Limited.
- Appointed Sri V. M. Manogaran as Nominee Director.
-Sakthi Auto Component Limited (SACL) and as such SACL was the wholly Owned subsidiary of the Company.
-Company has commenced its cane crushing operation for the season.
-Sakthi Sugars - Intimation of commencement of sugarcane crushing operation for the season 2015-16 at Dhenkanal Sugar Unit