1986 - The company was incorporated on 15th May 1986 and obtained the
certificate of commencement of business on 2nd July. It was
promoted by Shri Satish K. Kaura and by the companies promoted
by him, namely, Tatatube Electronics Limited, and Samtel
(India), Limited. The Company manufacture colour television
- The Company entered into two technical knowhow agreement &
equipment supply agreements with Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
(MELCO) of Japan.
- Under the technical knowhow agreement company agreed to supply
know-how to enable the company to design, engineer and maintain a
plant to undertake commercial production of black stripe type
cathode ray tubes for colour television sets. Under the terms of
equipment supply agreement, NELCO agreed to supply critical
machinery for the plant.
- Another collaboration agreement was signed with Sumitomo
Corporation a large trading house in Japan who had been appointed
by NELCO for supply of components.
- The Company undertook a project to set up a plant to manufacture
annually 5,00,000 colour picture tubes.
1988 - During the year, 21' FS tubes were introduced and were well
received in the market.
- 100 shares subscribed for by the signatories to the Memorandum
and Articles of Association. 219,99,000 shares then issued at
par of which 90,99,900 shares to M/s. Samtel (India) Ltd.,
Directors, their friends and relatives and 54,00,000 shares to
NRI promoters on repatriation basis allotted on firm basis. Out
of the remaining, following reserved for preferential allotment;
- (i) 20,00,000 shares to NRIs on repatriation basis (only
12,18,800 shares taken up) and
- (ii) 11,00,000 shares to employees/workers of the company and
promoter companies (only 3,600 shares taken up).
- The balance 44,00,000 shares, alongwith the unsubscribed portion
of 18,77,600 shares of the preferential quota offered to public
subscription during May, 1988. All were taken up.
1989 - The Company commissioned the third phase of the colour picture
tube plant thereby making the manufacturing facility at its
Ghaziabad works fully integrated for the production of CPT's.
The plant was also equipped with 5 diesel generating sets of 1000
KVA capacity each to meet 100% power requirements.
- The Government approval was received to raise the capacity of the
colour picture tube plant at Ghaziabad to 1.3 million tubes per
annum. The Company proposed to augment its production capacity
by taking a production facility on lease at Bhiwandi in
1991 - 6,000 No. of equity shares forfeited. 17,20,000 No. of equity
shares allotted to promoters on conversion of unsecured loans.
1993 - The Company proposed to introduce 21' fill and flat square tube.
1994 - During the year, 21' flat & full square tubes were introduced.
- 7,64,000 No. of equity shares allotted at par on conversion of
loans by IFCI.
1995 - In November, the Company undertook a project for installing
Line-2 for producing 1.2 million medium sized picture tubes at
1996 - A new line with a capacity of 1.5 million CPTs per annum was
commissioned. The line which is highly automated was designed
and installed indegenously through inhouse technical expertise.
2001 - Samtel Colour is setting up a 2.2 million greenfield 21' super flat colour television
and 15' colour display picture tube line at Ghaziabad with an estimated cost of
Rs. 300 crore.
2002-Samtel India sells its yoke unit to its group company Samtel colour Ltd.
-Electronic Component Industries Association (ELCINA) awards the first prize for exports for 2002-03 in the large-scale category to the company
-Samtel Color CMD Satish Kaura receives Padm Shri.
- Samtel Color Limited has appointed Mr. Prabhat Kumar Nanda as the Company Secretary-Cum-Compliance officer of the Company, in place of Mr. S. K. Gupta.