1977 - The company was Incorporated on 19th October, mainly for
acquiring the business and undertaking of the Indian branch and
it obtained the Certificate of Commencement of Business on 13th
March, 1978. The main objects of the Company is marketing of
household and artisan sewing machine, sewing machine cabinets,
tables and stands, needles, knitting machines and replacement
parts and components.
- The company was allowed to carry on its business in India with
the Indian Branch be converted into an Indian Company in which
the non-resident interest should not exceed 40%.
1980 - In terms of the Scheme of Amalgamation approved by the Mumbai
High Court, the business and undertaking of the Indian branch
became vested in the Company with effect from 1st January.
Pursuant to the Scheme, the Company allotted 8,00,000 fully paid
equity shares at par to The Singer Company, U.S.A., as
1981 - In terms of an agreement dated 10th July, The Singer Co., U.S.A.,
would make available to the Company technical assistance hitherto
available to the Indian branch free of any fee or royalty.
- By an agreement dated 10th July, The Singer Co., U.S.A.,
appointed the Company as Registered user of its trade mark in
- The Company received a letter dated 9th April, from The Singer
Co., U.S.A., to the effect that it would maintain its commercial
relations with the Company and would provide technical,
managerial and training support and that the Company would
continue, with certain statutory exceptions, to be the sole
entity in India through which Singer Organisation would supply
their sewing machines and allied products.
- 7 shares subscribed for by the signatories to the Memorandum of
Association and 8,00,000 shares allotted to the Singer Co.,
U.S.A. without payment in cash.
1982 - 11,99,993 shares issued at par of which 99,993 shares to resident
Indian directors, employees and business associates of the
Company and 6,00,000 shares to National Small Industries
Corporation, Ltd. were reserved and allotted. 5,00,000 shares
offered to the public in February.
1984 - During April, the Company received a letter of intent for the
manufacture of 1,00,000 Zig Zag Sewing machines in the State of
Jammu & Kashmir.
1987 - In May, the company had introduced a new automative sewing
machine, viz. Singer Fashion Maker upon diversification, a new
line of food processor was launched in May 1987.
- As a part of diversification, the company, set up a electrical
appliance division which would market household electrical
appliances. A speciality store was started in New Delhi and
Calcutta to deal exclusively in Kitchen items and one more store
is to be opened at Chennai.
1989 - 20,00,000 bonus equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
1991 - The Company issued 14% non-convertible debentures for Rs 100
lakhs to PNB Mutual Fund by way of private placement. These
debentures are redeemable at 5% premium after the expiry of 7
years from the date of allotment.
1993 - 10,60,900 shares of Rs 10 each and 1,56,550 shares to Singer VII
B.U. The Netherlands and The National Small Industries Co. Ltd.
respectively at a premium of Rs 35 per share.
- The name of the company was changed from "Indian Sewing Machine
Company Ltd" to "Singer India Ltd' effective 3rd May.
- Of the 16,00,000 Equity Shares held by the Singer company, U.S.A.
8,00,000 Shares have been allotted in part consideration for the
transfer of the net assets of the undertaking and business in
India of Singer Sewing Machine company, U.S.A. in terms of
amalgamation sanctioned by the Bombay High Court.
1994 - New products like water purifiers, Black & White TVs were
introduced in the market.
- On 31st January 1995, 26,08,725 shares issued as Bonus shares in
1995 - New products introduced were Washing Machine, Refrigerators,
Power tools and furniture.
- The Company introduced many new models such as cobra-world class
sewing machine, classic-N and Multipurpose-N-developed through
Company's in-house Research and Development.
- Mahavir Founders & Engineers Ltd., the wholly owned subsidiary of
the Company was amalgamated with the Company effective 1st April.
- Singer India Trading Ltd., HIMEC India Ltd. and Mahavir Founders
& Engineers Ltd. are wholly owned subsidiaries of the Company.
1996 - The amalgamation of Mahavir Founders & Engineers Limited, the
whollyowned subsidiary of the Company, with the Company was
approved by the Delhi High Court on 27th August.
1997 - Sewing products will continue to remain the core business of the
Company. With the technology available from Singer, the Company
will introduce more versatile models of sewing machines in the
market to gain market share in this segment.
- The Company now operates through 200 retail stores spread
throughout the country.
- Singer India has entered into a marketing alliance with Baron
International, the manufacturer of the leading Japanese consumer
electronics brand Akai in the country.
- Singer is also launching colour televisions under its own Singer
1998 - The Company is giving more thrust upon zig-zag sewing education
to promote high end sewing machines which have a substantial
potential for growth.
1999 - Singer India Ltd is all set to enter the microwave market, as
part of its strategy to expand its product line in India.
- Introduction of the microwave oven is an expansion and extension
of our existing product range.
- The company has introduced an imported iron and is shortly adding
two state of art models of microwaves in its range.
- The company will be launching two more models of contemporary
-Singer forays into industrial machine segment
- Mr K K Gupta was appointed as Manager.
- Mr. Samya Sarkar has joined the Company as a Director and Managing Director.
- Mr. Theo Noel Renard is appointed as an Additional Director of the Company.
- Appointed Mr. P N Sharma as the Additional Director of the Company.
- Appointed of Mr. Rajiv Bajaj as an Alternate Director.
- Appointed of Mr. P R Nandanan as an Alternate Director.
- Appointed Mr. Ajit Kumar as the Additional Director of the Company.
-Singer India - Re-start of manufacturing facilities at Company's Jammu Factory
-The Company has recommended a dividend of Rs. 1.50 per share.
-The Company have recommended a Dividend of Rs.1.50 per equity share of face value of Rs. 10 each of the Company