- The Company was incorporated on 18th October, as a private limited
company and was converted into a public limited company on 8th May,
1963. The Company Cultivates tea, coffee, cardamom, etc., plantations
and manufacturing, selling and exporting instant tea and blended and
packeted teas. It has a factory at Munnar (Kerala) for the manufacture
of instant tea and blending and packaging factories at Bangalore
(Karnataka) and Naine, Allahabad (U.P.).
- The Company was set up in technical and financial collaboration with
James Finlay & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, U.K. The technical and financial
collaboration agreement expired on 1971.
- The Company's operations were adversely affected by heavy development
expenses incurred towards marketing and production of instant tea by
the green leaf process, a hitherto untried commercial process but one
with immense possibilities.
- 50,000 shares in May 1863 were issued, and 94,00 shares, Rs 87.50 per
shares paid-up, in Dec. 1963. 6,000 shares issued without payment in
cash in Oct. 1964.
- The ownership structure of some of the Finlay Tea Associates was
reorganised with the effect that The Amalgamated Tea Estates Co. Ltd.,
became a wholly owned subsidiary of James Finlay while the Consolidated
Tea and Lands Co. (India) Ltd. The Anglo American Direct Tea Trading
Co. Ltd., became wholly owned subsidiaries of McLeod Russel & Co., Ltd.
The Kannan Devan Hills Produce Co. Ltd., were owned in equal shares by
James Finlay and McLeod Russel & Co. Ltd.
- The allotment to the Finlay Tea Associates by the Company of Rs
19,80,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at par credited as fully
paid-up and the balance amount of Rs 9.52 crores was retained as
unsecured loans carrying simple interest at the rate of 5% per annum
from 1st January, 1976.
- 26,00,000 shares offered at par to the public during June.
- 20,00,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:3.
- James Finlay and McLeod Russel sold all their equity holdings to Tata
Industries Ltd., on 1st December. Tata Industries in turn, offered the
entire lot of 3.2 million shares at par to the present Indian
shareholders of the Company in the proportion 2:3.
- Upon the Change in the Shareholding of the Company, the name of the
Company was changed from Tata-Finlay Ltd., to Tata Tea Ltd.
- The Company formed a 100% subsidiary investment company under the
name and style of Bambino Investment and Trading Co. (Pvt.) Ltd.
- The Company issued and allotted 10,00,000-15% non-convertible
debenture of Rs 100 each on rights basis. These debentures are
redeemable at a premium of 5% on 31st March 1992. The redemption date
was extended and the debentureholders were given the option to receive
redemption proceeds on 31st March 1992 or extent upto 31st March 1999
at the rate of interest of 17.5%.
- The Company Incorporated was established in the U.S.A., as a 100%
subsidiary of the Company by acquiring the instant tea processing
facilities of Tritea Incorporated, Florida, U.S.A.
- 42,05,130 shares allotted in conversion of 13.5% debs. (25,23,078
share on 1.7.1986 at par and 16,82,052 shares on 1.7.1987 prem. Rs 25
- The Company had been acting as agents in Mumbai, Calcutta and Delhi
for P & O Containers Ltd. (P&OCL), a foreign shipping line. During the
year P&OCL expressed its desire to control its own agency affairs in
India. An agreement was reached with P&OCL to transfer the shopping
agency affairs to a new company floated by them with effect from 1st
- 48,82,052 Bonus shares issued in prop. 2:5.
- During the year, a new blend under the name of 'Prestige' was
launched. The Company started a buttom mushrooms production plant in
- On 20th October, Tata Tea Ltd. with a view to acquire majority
holding made an offer to purchase CCL's equity shares held by its
resident Indian shareholders (80%). For every 2 equity shares of CCL
of the face value of Rs 10 each, TTL offered 1 of its equity share of
the face value of Rs 10/- plus a sum of Rs 100 in cash. As per this
scheme, till the end of February 1991, 19,92,573 No. of equity shares
of TTL were allotted to resident Indian shareholders of CCL. Share
upto a maximum of 22,902 may have have to issued to those whose
certificates reached/yet to reach TTL thus total not exceeding
- The new unit 'Tata Spices Centre' set up at Cochin, in the previous
year and exporting non-traditional products such as prices, cashew and
marine products also contributed to the improved performance. A new
brand of polypack 'Brahmaputra' was launched, containing a blend of
Assam teas and there were well received in the market.
- The Company privately placed with financial institutions 14%
non-convertible debentures of Rs 15 crores. These debentures are
redeemable at a premium of 5% on 17.9.1997.
- During the year, a range of flavoured teas were developed which were
being produced on a commercial scale both for domestic and exports
market. Other products developed were decaffeinated black tea and
instant tea, organic tea and medicinal oils.
- Consolidated Coffee Ltd. alongwith its 100% subsidiaries, namely
Veerarajendra Estates Ltd. and Conscofe Investments Ltd., became
subsidiaries of the Company.
- In the Development of Haldia Petrochemical Complex at Haldia, Rs
3,000 crores joint venture, W. Bengal Government through its Industrial
Development Corporation was to hold 26% of the share capital and the
Company with its associates was to hold 24.99% in the capital. A
letter of intent was received on 10th August.
- Tata tea have been growing medicinal plants with a view to seeking
entry into Ayurvedic medicines. Rallis India, Ltd. (RIL) are the
leaders in agrochenmicals and pharmaceuticals which are also used by
the plantation industry.
- A higher production was marred by the estates in the south being
affected first by frost and thereafter by severe drought conditions
that persisted till April 1992. A new premium dust brand 'Chakra Gold'
- A new branch for the Lloyd's agency was set up at Kathmandu and the
operations of the NYK line business and Lloyds agency were revamped.
- The Company proposed to expand the capacity at Munnar tea plantation
to over million lbs. per year. The Company proposed to set up a new
instant tea plant with a capacity of 3 million lbs of instant tea
- The Company set up a pilot plant at Munnar for the production of
Button Mushrooms and commenced test marketing the produce. A Spice
Processing Centre in Cochin and a Medicinal & Aromatic Plant Processing
Centre in Munnar were being set up based on experiments in the R&D
- The Company proposed to establish a wholly-owned subsidiary 'Tata Tea
International, Ltd.', in Jersey, Channel Islands, U.K. mainly to
invest in the shares capital of joint venture companies to be set up in
a number of foreign markets. A joint venture was set up in Sri Lanka
called Estate Management Services (Pvt.) Ltd., for managing 18 tea and
rubber estates in Sri Lanka that were now open to private management by
virtue of privatisation process initiated by Sri Lanka Government.
- The Company entered into an agreement with the State Trading
Organisation of Iran to set up a joint venture in Iran to assist in
upgrading the tea manufacturing base of Iran, modernise its processing
facilities, set up packaging plant and jointly market its brands of tea
- International business division was established to consolidate export
operations and to provide forays into foreign operations. The Division
proposed to press ahead with its innovative methods of selling Tea to
Russa, Uzbekistan & Kazakhasthan.
- The Company established another joint venture company namely Tata
Tetley Ltd. with Lyons Tetley of U.K. with a share capital of Rs 10
crores held equally by the company and Lyons Tetley.
- The Company proposed to set up a joint venture Company on equal
shareholding basis with Krasnodar Tea Company & its associates, in the
name of Tata Krasnodar Industries Ltd.
- The Company proposed to establish an Indo-Japanese Joint venture in
the name of 'Tata NYK Transport Systems, Ltd.'
- In August, the Company made an open offer to the shareholders of
Rallis India Ltd. for the purchase of upto 29,94,995 equity shares of
Rallies India representing upto 24.99% of the voting capital.
- The Company received offer for only 24.52% and accordingly allotted
19,59,142 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each of the Company as fully
paid up to the shareholders of Rallies India
- It was proposed to instal state-of-the-art facilities to increase
production and also incorporate an advanced and environment friendly
- The Company has reorganised its capital structure in terms of a
Scheme of Arrangement under Section 391 of the Companies Act, 1956
sanctioned by the High Court of Mumbai on 1st September, 1976. Prior
to reorganisation the total paid-up equity capital of the Company was
Rs 1,38,25,000 of which 49.42% was held by James Finlay, The
Consolidated Tea and Lands Co. Ltd., West Nile Holdings Ltd., Teith
Holdings Ltd. and Cessnock Holdings Ltd.
- The Company entered into a joint venture with Hitachi Ltd., Japan,
for setting up a joint venture in Japan. Necessary approvals were
received to increase the Company's stake in Asian Coffee Ltd. (ACL) to
- 157,79,173 bonus equity shares issued in proportion 1:1.
- 12,84,338 shares were allotted in exchange for 64,21,687 No. of
equity shares of Asian Coffee Ltd. through as per offer.
- The Company introduced polpacks in the South and North and which were
well received by the segments.
- In view of the 50 years of independence, the company jointly with
consolidated coffee limited launched a synergetic scheme under the
banner 'Pride of India' attracting 1.1 million direct consumers.
- The Tata Tea Ltd. its subsidiary company Consolidated Coffee Ltd will
mark the golden jubilee year of independence of launching 'Pride of
India' celebrations from 15th January.
- Tata Tea Ltd., which was the first company to introduce 100 per cent
instant tea into the United States, is today the world's largest
exporter of instant tea to western countries with a 15 per cent share
in the US market.
- The US operations are handled by Tata Tea Incorporation, a 100 per
cent subsidiary of Tata Tea in Florida, set up in 1984 to touch up the
product manufactured in India.
- While Tata's is among the largest production capacities in the
business at five million pounds, four other Indian companies contribute
to the Indian exports Nestle, Tetlay, Lipton and Goodricke.
- Tata Tea, one of the largest tea manufacturing companies in the
- Recently, the company had entered a partnership with a Sri Lankan tea
company to acquire tea gardens in the island nation.
- The subsidiaries of the group are consolidated Coffee Ltd., Asian
Coffee Ltd., Tata Tea Inc, Tata Tetley Ltd., Tata Hitachi, Tata NYK and
- Tata Tea Limited has launched its popular brand, Tata Tea Premium in
the twin-cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad on Dec. 23, more than
one year after its launch in the neighbouring state of Karnataka.
- Tata Tea Ltd. is all set to explore the Pakistan market during
January next, in a move to further consolidate its position as one of
the global tea major.
- Tata Tea is the largest integrated tea company in the world with 53
estates spread over 24,500 hectares in Assam, W Bengal, Tamil Nadu and
- The 49:51 joint venture between Tata Tea and Estate Management
Service Private Limited of Sri Lanka has proved eminently successful.
- The Indian tea magnet, Tata Tea Ltd. is all set to consolidate its
coffee subsidiaries by merging three units Consolidated Coffee, Asian
Coffee and Veerarajendra Estates.
- Tata Tea has entered into another joint venture with Lyons Tetley to
export value-added tea bags and tea packets.
- The company launched a new brand 'Agni' in the economy sector aimed
at the loose tea consumers and was well received in the market.
- Tata Tea Ltd (TTL), the country's second largest tea company with the
highest number of gardens having an annual production of 64 million kg.
- The Tatas have a joint venture with the Tetley group in India, Two of
Tata Tea's subsidiaries-Consolidated Coffee and Asian Coffee-are major
players in the Asian market, and will now spearhead the group's
expansion in the coffee business.
- Tata Tea's current joint venture with Tetley would cease to operate
and in all probability be merged with the larger group.
- Another New brand 'Lucky Cup' a premium dust variety tea was launched
in selected South Indian states during February.
- The Company will issue 75,98,000 GDSs at a price of US$9.87 per GDS
which is equivalent to Rs 430 per GDS.
- The Company alongwith its wholly owned subsidiary, Tata Tea Inc. USA
and the present shareholders of the Tetley Group of UK have signed an
agreement in London for the acquisition of 100% of the shareholding of
the Tetley Group.
- In March, the company acquired through a subsidiary company the
entire shareholding of the Tetley Group Ltd., UK which has made the
company a significant player in the global tea industry.
- The Company issued 75,98,000 Global Depository Shares at a price of
US$ 9.87 per GDS which was fully subscribed.
- The Company and Rabobank International are jointly conducting
roadshows in Mumbai and London to syndicate the Dollar 165m of senior
debt facilities that has been raised to fund the acquisition of the
- The Company holds 60 million shares of Tata Tea (GB) Ltd.
representing 85.7% of the paid-up share capital of Tata Tea (GB) Ltd.
and the balance 14.3% is held by the company's wholly owned subsidiary
Tata Tea Inc.
- The Company has proposed to introduce an employees' stock option
- Tata Tea Ltd has drawn up plans to market packet tea under the
newly-acquired Tetley brand in India, West Asia, the Confederation of
Independent States and Russia.
- T Siganporia is to takeover as the Tata Tea managing director of the
- Former Glaxo India Managing Director Homi R Khusrokhan will take
charge as the new managing director of Tata Tea.
-Tata Tea's acquisition of Tetley Group is turning out to be a success and the Tatas feel 'comfortable with the acquisition'. Tetley has performed extremely well in the last fiscal. It is now number one in the UK.
-Tata Tea appoints consultancy firm BCG to guide on integration process with Tetley.
-Tata Tea relaunched Chakra Gold, its brand of premium dust tea in southern markets
with improved flavour and aroma.
-Tata Tea will bifurcate plantation business from branded tea business and set them as
2 separate stategiv business units.
- Mr U M Rao has ceased to be nominee director of General Insurance Corporation of India Ltd. Appointment of Mr UM Rao as an additional non-executive director of the company
-Tata Tea Ltd. appoints Deutsche Bank as the Depository
-The Chennai-based FAL Industries has seen Tata Tea making an exit from it. Tata Tea had a 5.3 per cent stake in FAL. On February 6, it sold off its holding of 2,41,659 shares through off-market spot deals.
-Sets up country's first-ever tea museum at Nullathanni Estate in Munnar
-Tata tea rolls out 'Select Finest Assam' tea in UAE
-Tata Tea has appointed Sangeeta Talwar as the executive director of the company
-Tata Tea launches new brand 'Tata Tea Agni'.
-Tata Tea to acquire 2 N America brands
-IFC to acquire 19% stake in Tata Tea's new company
-Tata Coffee acquires US-based EOC for $220mn
-Tata tea to acquire 30% stake in EBI
-Tata Tea Ltd has informed that Mr. V Venkiteswaran, Executive Director of the Company has ceased to be Director of the Company with effect from January 01, 2007.
-Tata Tea Ltd on May 08, 2007 has entered into a Joint Venture agreement with Zhejiang Tea Import and Export Company Ltd of People's Republic of China.
-Tata Tea has appointed Mr. A R Gandhi as a Non-Wholetime Director of the Company with immediate effect.
- Tata Tea acquires 25.74% in Mt Everest.
-Tata tea launches of Tata Tea GOLD
-Tata Coffee wins Gold Medal at 'Grands Crus de Cafe', Paris
-Tata Tea gains a firmer ground in the ET's Brand Equity Survey.
- Tata Tea Ltd has signed a non binding Memorandum of Understanding with PepsiCo Inc. on April 09, 2010, with the intention of exploring the formation of a Joint Venture in the area of non-carbonated ready-to-drink beverages, focused on health and enhanced wellness.
- Tata Group's Tata Tea rechristened itself as Tata Global Beverages.