- The Company was incorporated on 18th October, as a private limited company and was converted into a public limited company on 8th May, 1963. The Company Cultivates tea, coffee, cardamom, etc., plantations and manufacturing, selling and exporting instant tea and blended and packeted teas. It has a factory at Munnar (Kerala) for the manufacture of instant tea and blending and packaging factories at Bangalore (Karnataka) and Naine, Allahabad (U.P.).
- The Company was set up in technical and financial collaboration with James Finlay & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, U.K. The technical and financial collaboration agreement expired on 1971.
- The Company's operations were adversely affected by heavy development expenses incurred towards marketing and production of instant tea by the green leaf process, a hitherto untried commercial process but one with immense possibilities.
- 50,000 shares in May 1863 were issued, and 94,00 shares, Rs 87.50 per shares paid-up, in Dec. 1963. 6,000 shares issued without payment in cash in Oct. 1964.
- The ownership structure of some of the Finlay Tea Associates was reorganised with the effect that The Amalgamated Tea Estates Co. Ltd., became a wholly owned subsidiary of James Finlay while the Consolidated Tea and Lands Co. (India) Ltd. The Anglo American Direct Tea Trading Co. Ltd., became wholly owned subsidiaries of McLeod Russel & Co., Ltd. The Kannan Devan Hills Produce Co. Ltd., were owned in equal shares by James Finlay and McLeod Russel & Co. Ltd.
- The allotment to the Finlay Tea Associates by the Company of Rs 19,80,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at par credited as fully paid-up and the balance amount of Rs 9.52 crores was retained as unsecured loans carrying simple interest at the rate of 5% per annum from 1st January, 1976.
- 26,00,000 shares offered at par to the public during June.
- 20,00,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:3.
- James Finlay and McLeod Russel sold all their equity holdings to Tata Industries Ltd., on 1st December. Tata Industries in turn, offered the entire lot of 3.2 million shares at par to the present Indian shareholders of the Company in the proportion 2:3.
- Upon the Change in the Shareholding of the Company, the name of the Company was changed from Tata-Finlay Ltd., to Tata Tea Ltd.
- The Company formed a 100% subsidiary investment company under the name and style of Bambino Investment and Trading Co. (Pvt.) Ltd.
- The Company issued and allotted 10,00,000-15% non-convertible debenture of Rs 100 each on rights basis. These debentures are redeemable at a premium of 5% on 31st March 1992. The redemption date was extended and the debentureholders were given the option to receive
redemption proceeds on 31st March 1992 or extent upto 31st March 1999 at the rate of interest of 17.5%.
- The Company Incorporated was established in the U.S.A., as a 100% subsidiary of the Company by acquiring the instant tea processing facilities of Tritea Incorporated, Florida, U.S.A.
- 42,05,130 shares allotted in conversion of 13.5% debs. (25,23,078 share on 1.7.1986 at par and 16,82,052 shares on 1.7.1987 prem. Rs 25 per share).
- The Company had been acting as agents in Mumbai, Calcutta and Delhi for P & O Containers Ltd. (P&OCL), a foreign shipping line. During the year P&OCL expressed its desire to control its own agency affairs in India. An agreement was reached with P&OCL to transfer the shopping
agency affairs to a new company floated by them with effect from 1st October, 1989.
- 48,82,052 Bonus shares issued in prop. 2:5.
- During the year, a new blend under the name of `Prestige' was launched. The Company started a buttom mushrooms production plant in Kerala.
- On 20th October, Tata Tea Ltd. with a view to acquire majority holding made an offer to purchase CCL's equity shares held by its resident Indian shareholders (80%). For every 2 equity shares of CCL of the face value of Rs 10 each, TTL offered 1 of its equity share of
the face value of Rs 10/- plus a sum of Rs 100 in cash. As per this scheme, till the end of February 1991, 19,92,573 No. of equity shares of TTL were allotted to resident Indian shareholders of CCL. Share upto a maximum of 22,902 may have have to issued to those whose certificates reached/yet to reach TTL thus total not exceeding 20,15,475 shares.
- The new unit "Tata Spices Centre" set up at Cochin, in the previous year and exporting non-traditional products such as prices, cashew and marine products also contributed to the improved performance. A new brand of polypack "Brahmaputra" was launched, containing a blend of Assam teas and there were well received in the market.
- The Company privately placed with financial institutions 14% non-convertible debentures of Rs 15 crores. These debentures are redeemable at a premium of 5% on 17.9.1997.
- During the year, a range of flavoured teas were developed which were being produced on a commercial scale both for domestic and exports market. Other products developed were decaffeinated black tea and instant tea, organic tea and medicinal oils.
- Consolidated Coffee Ltd. alongwith its 100% subsidiaries, namely Veerarajendra Estates Ltd. and Conscofe Investments Ltd., became subsidiaries of the Company.
- In the Development of Haldia Petrochemical Complex at Haldia, Rs 3,000 crores joint venture, W. Bengal Government through its Industrial Development Corporation was to hold 26% of the share capital and the Company with its associates was to hold 24.99% in the capital. A letter of intent was received on 10th August.
- Tata tea have been growing medicinal plants with a view to seeking entry into Ayurvedic medicines. Rallis India, Ltd. (RIL) are the leaders in agrochenmicals and pharmaceuticals which are also used by the plantation industry.
- A higher production was marred by the estates in the south being affected first by frost and thereafter by severe drought conditions that persisted till April 1992. A new premium dust brand "Chakra Gold" was launched.
- A new branch for the Lloyd's agency was set up at Kathmandu and the operations of the NYK line business and Lloyds agency were revamped.
- The Company proposed to expand the capacity at Munnar tea plantation to over million lbs. per year. The Company proposed to set up a new instant tea plant with a capacity of 3 million lbs of instant tea powder.
- The Company set up a pilot plant at Munnar for the production of Button Mushrooms and commenced test marketing the produce. A Spice Processing Centre in Cochin and a Medicinal & Aromatic Plant Processing Centre in Munnar were being set up based on experiments in the R&D Department.
- The Company proposed to establish a wholly-owned subsidiary "Tata Tea International, Ltd.", in Jersey, Channel Islands, U.K. mainly to invest in the shares capital of joint venture companies to be set up in a number of foreign markets. A joint venture was set up in Sri Lanka
called Estate Management Services (Pvt.) Ltd., for managing 18 tea and rubber estates in Sri Lanka that were now open to private management by virtue of privatisation process initiated by Sri Lanka Government.
- The Company entered into an agreement with the State Trading Organisation of Iran to set up a joint venture in Iran to assist in upgrading the tea manufacturing base of Iran, modernise its processing facilities, set up packaging plant and jointly market its brands of tea in Iran.
- International business division was established to consolidate export operations and to provide forays into foreign operations. The Division proposed to press ahead with its innovative methods of selling Tea to Russa, Uzbekistan & Kazakhasthan.
- The Company established another joint venture company namely Tata Tetley Ltd. with Lyons Tetley of U.K. with a share capital of Rs 10 crores held equally by the company and Lyons Tetley.
- The Company proposed to set up a joint venture Company on equal shareholding basis with Krasnodar Tea Company & its associates, in the name of Tata Krasnodar Industries Ltd.
- The Company proposed to establish an Indo-Japanese Joint venture in the name of "Tata NYK Transport Systems, Ltd."
- In August, the Company made an open offer to the shareholders of Rallis India Ltd. for the purchase of upto 29,94,995 equity shares of Rallies India representing upto 24.99% of the voting capital.
- The Company received offer for only 24.52% and accordingly allotted 19,59,142 No. of Equity shares of Rs 10 each of the Company as fully paid up to the shareholders of Rallies India
- It was proposed to instal state-of-the-art facilities to increase production and also incorporate an advanced and environment friendly technologies.
- The Company has reorganised its capital structure in terms of a Scheme of Arrangement under Section 391 of the Companies Act, 1956 sanctioned by the High Court of Mumbai on 1st September, 1976. Prior to reorganisation the total paid-up equity capital of the Company was
Rs 1,38,25,000 of which 49.42% was held by James Finlay, The Consolidated Tea and Lands Co. Ltd., West Nile Holdings Ltd., Teith Holdings Ltd. and Cessnock Holdings Ltd.
- The Company entered into a joint venture with Hitachi Ltd., Japan, for setting up a joint venture in Japan. Necessary approvals were received to increase the Company's stake in Asian Coffee Ltd. (ACL) to 55%.
- 157,79,173 bonus equity shares issued in proportion 1:1.
- 12,84,338 shares were allotted in exchange for 64,21,687 No. of equity shares of Asian Coffee Ltd. through as per offer.
- The Company introduced polpacks in the South and North and which were well received by the segments.
- In view of the 50 years of independence, the company jointly with consolidated coffee limited launched a synergetic scheme under the banner "Pride of India" attracting 1.1 million direct consumers.
- The Tata Tea Ltd. its subsidiary company Consolidated Coffee Ltd will mark the golden jubilee year of independence of launching "Pride of India" celebrations from 15th January.
- Tata Tea Ltd., which was the first company to introduce 100 per cent instant tea into the United States, is today the world's largest exporter of instant tea to western countries with a 15 per cent share in the US market.
- The US operations are handled by Tata Tea Incorporation, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Tata Tea in Florida, set up in 1984 to touch up the product manufactured in India.
- While Tata's is among the largest production capacities in the business at five million pounds, four other Indian companies contribute to the Indian exports Nestle, Tetlay, Lipton and Goodricke.
- Tata Tea, one of the largest tea manufacturing companies in the world.
- Recently, the company had entered a partnership with a Sri Lankan tea company to acquire tea gardens in the island nation.
- The subsidiaries of the group are consolidated Coffee Ltd., Asian Coffee Ltd., Tata Tea Inc, Tata Tetley Ltd., Tata Hitachi, Tata NYK and Tata Marine.
- Tata Tea Limited has launched its popular brand, Tata Tea Premium in the twin-cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad on Dec. 23, more than one year after its launch in the neighbouring state of Karnataka.
- Tata Tea Ltd. is all set to explore the Pakistan market during January next, in a move to further consolidate its position as one of the global tea major.
- Tata Tea is the largest integrated tea company in the world with 53 estates spread over 24,500 hectares in Assam, W Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- The 49:51 joint venture between Tata Tea and Estate Management Service Private Limited of Sri Lanka has proved eminently successful.
- The Indian tea magnet, Tata Tea Ltd. is all set to consolidate its coffee subsidiaries by merging three units Consolidated Coffee, Asian Coffee and Veerarajendra Estates.
- Tata Tea has entered into another joint venture with Lyons Tetley to export value-added tea bags and tea packets.
- The company launched a new brand `Agni' in the economy sector aimed at the loose tea consumers and was well received in the market.
- Tata Tea Ltd (TTL), the country's second largest tea company with the highest number of gardens having an annual production of 64 million kg.
- The Tatas have a joint venture with the Tetley group in India, Two of Tata Tea's subsidiaries-Consolidated Coffee and Asian Coffee-are major players in the Asian market, and will now spearhead the group's expansion in the coffee business.
- Tata Tea's current joint venture with Tetley would cease to operate and in all probability be merged with the larger group.
- Another New brand `Lucky Cup' a premium dust variety tea was launched in selected South Indian states during February.
- The Company will issue 75,98,000 GDSs at a price of US$9.87 per GDS which is equivalent to Rs 430 per GDS.
- The Company alongwith its wholly owned subsidiary, Tata Tea Inc. USA and the present shareholders of the Tetley Group of UK have signed an agreement in London for the acquisition of 100% of the shareholding of the Tetley Group.
- In March, the company acquired through a subsidiary company the entire shareholding of the Tetley Group Ltd., UK which has made the company a significant player in the global tea industry.
- The Company issued 75,98,000 Global Depository Shares at a price of US$ 9.87 per GDS which was fully subscribed.
- The Company and Rabobank International are jointly conducting roadshows in Mumbai and London to syndicate the Dollar 165m of senior debt facilities that has been raised to fund the acquisition of the Tetley group.
- The Company holds 60 million shares of Tata Tea (GB) Ltd. representing 85.7% of the paid-up share capital of Tata Tea (GB) Ltd. and the balance 14.3% is held by the company's wholly owned subsidiary Tata Tea Inc.
- The Company has proposed to introduce an employees' stock option scheme (ESOS).
- Tata Tea Ltd has drawn up plans to market packet tea under the newly-acquired Tetley brand in India, West Asia, the Confederation of Independent States and Russia.
- T Siganporia is to takeover as the Tata Tea managing director of the company.
- Former Glaxo India Managing Director Homi R Khusrokhan will take charge as the new managing director of Tata Tea.
-Tata Tea's acquisition of Tetley Group is turning out to be a success and the Tatas feel 'comfortable with the acquisition'. Tetley has performed extremely well in the last fiscal. It is now number one in the UK.
-Tata Tea appoints consultancy firm BCG to guide on integration process with Tetley.
-Tata Tea relaunched Chakra Gold, its brand of premium dust tea in southern markets
with improved flavour and aroma.
-Tata Tea will bifurcate plantation business from branded tea business and set them as
2 separate stategiv business units.
- Mr U M Rao has ceased to be nominee director of General Insurance Corporation of India Ltd. Appointment of Mr UM Rao as an additional non-executive director of the company
-Tata Tea Ltd. appoints Deutsche Bank as the Depository
-The Chennai-based FAL Industries has seen Tata Tea making an exit from it. Tata Tea had a 5.3 per cent stake in FAL. On February 6, it sold off its holding of 2,41,659 shares through off-market spot deals.
-Sets up country's first-ever tea museum at Nullathanni Estate in Munnar
-Tata tea rolls out 'Select Finest Assam' tea in UAE
-Tata Tea has appointed Sangeeta Talwar as the executive director of the company
-Tata Tea launches new brand `Tata Tea Agni'.
-Tata Tea to acquire 2 N America brands
-IFC to acquire 19% stake in Tata Tea's new company
-Tata Coffee acquires US-based EOC for $220mn
-Tata tea to acquire 30% stake in EBI
-Tata Tea Ltd has informed that Mr. V Venkiteswaran, Executive Director of the Company has ceased to be Director of the Company with effect from January 01, 2007.
-Tata Tea Ltd on May 08, 2007 has entered into a Joint Venture agreement with Zhejiang Tea Import and Export Company Ltd of People's Republic of China.
-Tata Tea has appointed Mr. A R Gandhi as a Non-Wholetime Director of the Company with immediate effect.
- Tata Tea acquires 25.74% in Mt Everest.
-Tata tea launches of Tata Tea GOLD
-Tata Coffee wins Gold Medal at 'Grands Crus de Cafe', Paris
-Tata Tea gains a firmer ground in the ET's Brand Equity Survey.
- Tata Tea Ltd has signed a non binding Memorandum of Understanding with PepsiCo Inc. on April 09, 2010, with the intention of exploring the formation of a Joint Venture in the area of non-carbonated ready-to-drink beverages, focused on health and enhanced wellness.
- Tata Group's Tata Tea rechristened itself as Tata Global Beverages.
-Company has splits its Face value of Shares from Rs 10 to Re 1
-Company has changed its name from Tata Tea Ltd. to Tata Global Beverages Ltd.
- Tata Tea - MoU with Kerala Ayurveda Limited
- Tata Global appoints Ajoy Misra as Director and Executive Director
- Tata Global Beverages Limited, the worldÂs second largest tea company today, announced the launch of the ÂTata Tea Jaago Re Inter Milan Soccer StarsÂ.
- Tata Global Beverages has recently been recognised as a leader in carbon measurement and management, ranking 6th overall in the Carbon Disclosure ProjectÂs (CDP) prestigious Carbon Leadership Disclosure Index (CDLI).
-Tetley Tea celebrates 175th anniversary
- he Company has entered into a Joint Venture with Starbucks group whereby, the newly formed Joint Venture Company Tata Starbucks Limited
-Cyrus Mistry appointed as Chairman of Tata Global Beverages
-Tata Global Beverages inks pact with Tata Realty for development of property.
-Tata Global Beverages awards Re-imagination scholarships Financial support for eight ''Urban Scholars'' at Brunel University in London.
-Starbucks Coffee Company and Tata Coffee Limited inaugurate roasting and packaging plant in Kushalnagar in Coorg, Karnataka.
-Tata Global Beverages which formed a Joint Venture with PespsiCo India, is contemplating introducing its nutrient water brand.
-Tata Global Beverages acquires 100% stake in Australian firm
-Tata Starbucks forays into Chennai, 50:50 joint venture between Starbucks Coffee Company and Tata Global Beverages.
-The merger of Mount Everest Mineral Water with its parent firm Tata Global Beverages has got the nod.
-Tata Global Beverages Ltd (TGBL) has on November 29, 2015 launched, an Instant coffee product in the Indian market under the brand name ÂTata Coffee GrandÂ
-Tata Global Beverages Ltd. launch of a new brand under its Tata Tea portfolio - Tata Tea Fusion.