- The Company was incorporated on 1st September at Mumbai to manufacture
diesel vehicles for commercial use, excavators, industrial
shunter, dumpers, heavy forgings and machine tools.
- The commerical diesel vehicles which were known 'Tata Mercedes Benz'
(TMB) are now called 'Tata' vehicles after the expiry of the
collaboration agreement with Daimler-Benz AG, West Germany. The
company also used to manufacture pulp and paper making machinery.
-Tata Enginering undertook manufacture of 5000 'KC' broad gauge open
wagons for the Indian Railway.
-The Managing Agency Tata Sons was transferred to Tata Industries on
July 1, 1946. The Managing Agency system continued till it was
abolished by an act of Parliament in 1970.
-Steam Road Roller introduced in collaboration with Marshal Sons (UK)
1950 Collaboration signed with M/s Krauss-Maffei, W. Germany for
manufacture of steam locomotives 1954 Collaboration with M/s Daimler
-Benz AG, W.Germany, for the manufacture of medium commercial vehicles
- Steel foundry set up in collaboration with Usines Emile Henricot of
Court St. Etienne, Belgium.
- Research and Development Center set up at Jamshedpur.
- The company's name, which was Tata Locomotive & Engineering Company
Ltd.was changed to Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company Ltd.
-Collaboration with M/s Pawling & Harnischfeger (P&H), U.S.A. for
manufacture of cable type excavators and cranes.
- A project for the production of large press tools and complex dies
was undertaken in collaboration with Raymond. F. Thompson (Engineers)
- With effect from 1st July the Investa Machine Tools and Engineering
Co. Ltd. was amalgamated with the company and it became the Machine
-Vehicle manufacture facilities steadily built up at Pune 1968
Collaboration with M/s Hueller Hille Gmbh, W. Germany, for the
manufacture of unit construction special purpose machines.
- Consequent to the amalgamation of Central Bank of India, Ltd.,
thecompany issued and allotted to the shareholders of erstwhile
CentralBank of India, Ltd., 11,39,208 - 7.75% mortgaged debentures of
Rs.100each on 1st October. Option was given to convert 50% of their
facevalue of a block of 5 debentures into one equity share of the
Companyat a premium of Rs.150 per share.
- Consequently 3,19,825 debentures were submitted to convert 50% of
their face value into 63,965 No. of equity shares. These shares were
issued on 31st March 1975.
- Subsequently, 3,19,824 debentures of Rs.50 each were consolidated
into 1,59,912 debentures of Rs.100 each. As per the terms of issue,
these debentures were to be redeemed at par anytime between 1.10.1975
- Central Bank of India Ltd., was merged with the Company with effect
from 24th April. Allotment of shares and debentures as per the terms
of the scheme of amalgamation to the shareholders of Central Bank of
India Ltd., was completed during January-March 1972.
- During the year company made a sale of know-how to Tata Precision
Industries Pvt Ltd in Singapore for the design and production of
machinery and tools. The company was also appointed the technical
consultants to TPIL for a period of 10 year for which the Company was
to receive a royalty of 3.5% of net sales for seven years commencing
from the date TPL start making profit.
- The company entered into a joint venture with Tata Industries
Sdn.Bhd. of Malaysia for the assembly of the Telco vehicles in
- The company issued 10,50,000-11% 7 year unsecured convertible bonds
of Rs.450 each at par at an aggregate value of Rs.47.25 crores as
follows: 2,54,701 bonds as rights to shareholders other than
Daimler-Benz AG, West Germany: 1,44,444 bonds to Daimler-Benz Ag, West
Germany; 1,15,355 bonds to employees and directors of the Company and
5,35,500 bonds to the public. The public offer as made during October
1980 and it was oversubscribed by five times. Conversion of bonds into
equity shares will took place in 1983-84 and 1987-88.
- The company issued 15% secured non convertible debentures of Rs.100
each aggregating to 30 crores in order to augment the long-term funds
for working capital requirements and to meet the capital expenditure on
its modernisation and replacement programme. This issue was made under
the schemes, viz.,
- (i) Cumulative interest payment scheme and
- (ii) non-cumulative interest payment scheme, which the applicant
could choose. It also offered these debentures simultaneously to other
categories of persons like the resident convertible bondholders,
debenture holders, depositors, preference shareholders, directors and
the Company's employees, their friends and relations and business
associates of the Company. These are redeemable at a premium of 5% on
1st Nov. 1997 under the non-cumulative interest payment scheme and in
three equal annual instalments starting from 1st November 1997 under
the cumulative interest scheme. The interest rate has been reduced to
14%. The company also privately placed 5,500,000-15% NCD's of Rs.100
each of the series.
- 1,83,839 No. of equity shares issued (prem. Rs 14.79 per share) to
holders of 10.5% deb. 10,10,696 No. of Equity Shares allotted (prem. Rs
60.70 per share) in conversion of 11% bonds (I Option).
- The Govt. approval was received for increasing the vehicle
manufacturing capacity to 35,520 vehicles per annum thereby bringing
the total licensed capacity to 78,000 vehicles. A letter of intent was
received for setting up a new plant for the manufacture of 9000
vehicles per annum in U.P which was later converted into an industrial
-Collaboration with M/s Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd., Japan,
for manufacture of hydraulic excavators. Expansion of capacity at Pune.
-Collaboration with M/s Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd., Japan,
for manufacture of hydraulic excavators.
- All the dies and many of the machine tools and production devices
required for the new 'TATA 407' and 'TATA 608' series were produced by
the Company in Capital Goods Division. The company started making CNC
machines in Capital Goods Division and its engineers were receiving
know-how and training from Nachi-Fujikoshi and Niigata of Japan with
whom the Company was collaborating in these fields. A new electronics
centres was also commisioned at Pune to support the manufacture and
maintenance of this new generation of CNC machines.
-Collaboration with Niigata Engineering Co. Ltd, Japanfor NC / CNC
Horizontal Machining Centers and with Nachi-Fujikoshi Corp., Japan for
NC /CNC In line Machining Centers and flexible manufacturing systems.
- The company issued 40,00,000 15% NCD's at the rate of Rs.100 each for
Rs.40 cr on rights basis. Subsequently 20,00,000 additional debentures
were issued to retain over-subscription. These were allotted on 31
Dec. 1986 and are redeemable in 3 equal instalments off Rs 35 each at
the end of the 7th, 8th, and 9th year at a premium of 5% being included
in the 1st instalment.
- The Company offered during August/September 11,15,790-12.5% secured
convertible debentures of Rs.950 each as follows: (i) 8,87,368
debentures to the existing shareholders in the proportion of 1
debenture for every 6 equity shares held: (ii) 1,75,789 debentures to
the holder of 11% convertible bonds in the proportion of 1 debenture
for every 6 bonds held and (iii) 52,633 debentures to the employees
(including Indian Working Directors)/workers of the Company on an
equitable basis (only 35,864 debentures were taken up). Additional
2,65,789 convertible debentures were issued to retain over subscription
in the cartegories (i) and (ii).
- 10,10,196 Equity shares allotted (prem. Rs 60.70 per shares) in con.
of 11% bonds in 1987-88. 40,69,573 No. of Equity shares allotted in
con. of 12.5% deb. in 1988-89.
- The Tata mobile pick up entirely designed and engineered by Telco was
launched in July 1988. It also obtained know how for the manufacture
of thin walled automotive aluminium castings from Kloth Senking
Metallgiesserei Stahl Gmbh, West Germany. A portion of Rs.550 of each
debenture issued in 1987 got converted into 2 equity shares of Rs.100
each at a premium of Rs.175 on 1st April 1988. A part of the remaining
debentures were converted into 13,39,953 equity shares on 1st October
1988. The balance was either retained by the holders as debentures or
sold back to the company by them at face value.
- During the year company undertook to set up a new forge shop, a high
output foundry line, a new paint shop as well as augmentation of engine
and gearbox manufacturing facilities, all at Jamshedpur. Test
facilities such as specially constructed gradient track to check the
climbing capability of vehicles and their ability to start on an
incline was added to the Engineering Research Centre at Pune.
- During the year company negotiating with Daimler-Benz for
manufacturing their World Concept Truck in India. These vehicles were
to be marketed overseas by Daimler-Benz under their brand which would
lead to technological upgradation of the existing range of vehicles in
- The company acquired 25% of the market share in the light commercial
vehicles. The company signed an agreement with Hitachi Construction
Machinery Co.Ltd. Japan for the manufacture of a more advanced series
of hydraulic excavators ie, 'EX'series.
- During the year, Nachi-Fujikoshi, a collaborator of the Company
agreed to buy the online machinery centres made in Telco's machine tool
division. A letter of intent was also received for supplying vehicle
aggregates to Mercedes Ben 355 Indonesian Partner.
- During the year company obtained know-how for the manufacture of
thin-walled automotive aluminum casting from Kloth Senking
Metallgiesserei GmbH, a subsidiary of Salzgitter Stahl GmbH, West
- 57,000-13.5% pref. shares redeemed. Equity shares sub-divided on
5.1.1990. 8,590 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each issued (prem. Rs 30
per share) in part conv. of 12.5% debs. (Part B)>
- The Company entered into an agreement with Cummins Engine Company
Inc. USA for forming a 50% - 50% joint venture to produce fuel
efficient engines with low-commission characteristics for powering the
Company's range of Medium/heavy vehicles. The Company was incorporated
in October 1993. Its factory is to be established at Jamshedpur.
- A new model of earthmoving equipment the TWK-3036 Tata Front End
Wheel Loader was introduced.
- 57,000 - 13.5% pref. shares redeemed.
- During the year the company entered into a collaborative agreement
with an internationally renowned engine research and development
organisation to jointly develop higher horsepower, fuel efficient
diesel and petrol engines to meet the future requirements of the
- The last quarter saw the company launching two new passenger
vehicles, the SIERRA and the ESTATE totally designed and manufactured
in India. The company acquired a BIFR company, M/s Noduron Founders
Maharashtra Ltd. The total cost for Telco worked out to Rs.18 crores
as against setting up of similar critical castings foundry.
- During the year company launched a new earth moving equipment
TWK-3036 Tata Front End Wheel Loader.
- During February 1991 the company issued 207,34,603-12.5% secured
partly convertible debentures of Rs.150 each on rights basis to the
equity shareholders in the ratio of 5. Additional deb. 30,65,092 were
allotted to retain oversubscription. Simultaneously 10,36,730 deb were
offered to employees and an additional issue of 1,55,510 deb was made
to retain oversubscription. All deb. were alloted on 25 April 1991.
Part 'A' of Rs. 50 was to be converted into 1 equity share of Rs 10
each at a premium of Rs 40 per share at the end of six months from the
date of allotment. The balance of Rs.100 of part 'B' of each debenture
would be redeemed at the end of the 8th year from the date of
- All Pref. Shares redeemed. 248,24,008 equity shares allotted in
conversion of debs. (3,340 shares-prem. Rs 30 per share; 27,60,868
shares (fully paid) prem. Rs 40 per share and 220,59,800 shares (partly
paid) prem. Rs 20 per partly paid share.
- Two new models in the EX series of hydraulic excavators were
launched. A 10 tonne pick and carry articulated crane, designed and
developed in-house was also introduced.
- During this period two new models in the EX series of hydraulic
excavators were launched. And a 10 tonne pick and carry articulated
crane, designed and developed in-house was also introduced. With the
help of Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd., EX-400 model
Hydraulic excavator was introduced during the year.
- The Company undertook to estabish a joint venture with Mercedes-Benz
to manufacture automobile products for sale in India and to meet the
needs of export markets. The project also included the possibility of
manufacture of a Mercedes Benz passenger car for the domestic and
foreign markets. Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd., was incorporated on
November 1994 which commenced initial assembly of cars in March 1995.
- During the year company entered into an agreement with
Nachi-Fujikoshi Corporation, Japan to manufacture arc and spot welding
robots suitable for automobile manufacturing applications.
- During the year, company undertook to set up a joint venture with
Asian Glass Co. Ltd., Japan to manufacture float glass to be used as
wind shields for automobiles. ACC along with Tata Exports Ltd.,
participated in the joint venture. The joint venture named as
Floathlass India Ltd., the Company would have a stake of 16.33%.
- Tata Cummins Ltd., Mercedes-Benz (India) Ltd., Tata Holset Ltd., Tata
Precision Industires, Singapore and Nita Company Ltd., are the joint
Ventures of the Company.
- 1,83,823 equity shares allotted without payment in cash to members
for Noduron Founders Ltd. on its merger. Another 1,54,809 equity
shares allotted (prem. Rs.40 per share) in conversion of debentures.
- Production of MCV's commenced at Lucknow.
- During the year company introduced the Tata full forward 609 LP bus
and Tata 609 SFC semi forward version. It was proposed to introduce
new four cylinder petrol engine during mid 1995.
- During the year Telco entered into an agreement with Cummins Engine
Company Inc. USA for forming a 50%-50% joint venture to produce fuel
efficient engines with low-commission characteristics for powering the
Company's range of Medium/heavy vehicles. Its factory is to be
established at Jamshedpur for an annual output of 67,000 engines.
- Tata vehicles were launched in Argentina Chill, Paraguay etc.
- Joint Venture Agreement signed with Cummins Engine Co. Inc.to
manufacture high horsepower and emission-friendly diesel engines for
medium and heavy commercial vehicles.
- During the year company introduced the Tata SUMO and LPT 709.
Thecompany developed a new fuel injected, 4 cylinder petrol engine
withthe assistance of AVL Austria.
- During the year company manufactured 4 basic robot for spot welding,
sealant application and arc-welding. Also manufactured a 3 axis copy
milling machine, a 2 station 2 spindle fine boring machine and a crank
pin milling machine.
- On 22nd April an agreement was entered into between Daimler-Benz AG
and Merceded Benz India to manufacture 'E' Class paneyer cans and
engines in India. The project is to be located at near Telco's factory
in Pune with capacity to manufacture 20,000 cars and 30,000 engines.
- Tata Technologies (India) Ltd., Sheba Properties Ltd., and
Matruchhaya Capital and Finance Ltd., are all subsidiaries of the
- On September, the company jointly with Tata Exports Ltd., and Tata
Industries Ltd., signed an agreement with Holset Engineering Ltd. UK to
set up a joint venture company to manufacture Holset turbochargers.
Accordingly Tata Holset Private Ltd., was established on 20th December.
- During the same year a new foundry was commissioned at Pune to
produce high pressure die cast and granting die-cast aluminium
components for automobiles. Production commenced from March.
- During July, the company offered 36,11,758 Global Depositary shares
and 36,11,758 warrants along with international units purchase 1 Each
warrant entitiled the holder to share of US $ 15.46 (Subject to
adjustment in case of bonus/Right issue) during the period of 8th
- Effective 25th July, the Company allotted 82,14,288 shares of Rs 10
each against the GDRs.
- The Company successfully launched high performance, low emission and
fuel efficient medium commercial vehicles with cummins engines in
Kuwait, Kenya, Zambia and Ghana.
- The Company also proposed to introduce vehicles with cummin engines
in the heavy commercial vehicles segment.
- Taking advantage of the broad banding policy announced by the
Government of India, the Company entered into a collaboration agreement
with Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Japan, for the manufacture of their 'ACCORD'
model of cars in India.
- A shovel version of model EX 300 LC was introduced.
- A 6 tonne mini excavator was launched.
- On 22nd April, an agreement was entered into between Daimler-Benz AG
and Mercedes Benz AG, Germany to setup a joint venture company
Mercedez-Benz India to manufacture 'E' class paneyer cans and engines
- Tata Technologies (India) Ltd., Sheba Properties Ltd., and
Matruchhaya Capital and Finance Ltd., are all subsidiaries of the
- 82,14,288 shares allotted against GDR.
- During the year a new double pick-up and Army Version of various
Telco Vehicles were developed. A new pero engine and turbo diesel
engine, an up-graded 709 LCV, new sports utility vehicle Safari
expected to be launched shortly.
- A 25 tonne 6 X 2 truck and a bus with cummins engine were launched.
- Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company (TELCO), has acquired a
second hand paint shop, machine line and cylinders from the Australian
unit of the Japanese auto giant, Nissan. TELCO is believed to have
picked up the unit for Rs. 70 crore. The total cost of import duty
would be Rs 100 crore.
- During the year a machine tool division was expanded so as to double
its machine building capacity and significantly reduce production
- During December, company issued 58,86,697 warrants to Tata Companies
and Daimler Benz AG with a right to subscribe to one ordinary share per
warrant at Rs.362 per share before 27th. 30,84,414 shares were
- 860,49,140 bonus shares issued in prop. 3:5, 187,73,487 No. of equity
shares allotted on exercise of warrants.
- A new double pick-up and army version of various Telco Vehicles were
- TELCO has decided to launch a new indigenous family car, by the
middle of 1996. The company seeks to manufacture a 900cc engine car.
The car would cater to the domestic as well as the export market.
Initially, a production of 150,000 cars is envisaged. The production
would be significantly increased in the next few years, to make TELCO,
the largest producer of small engine cars in the country.
- During the the company introduced the 70-tonne Tata-Hitachi Ex-700
Shovel, the largest in the value of Ex series of hydraulic excavation
fielded by Teleco. Also, a back-hoc version of Ex-400 model was
launched and the Ex-300 LC model was specially modified for use in
granite mining operations.
- During the year a new collaboration agreement was signed with
Nachi-Fujikshi Corporation, Japan to manufacture and advanced
generation of Robots.
- The Company allotted 140,35,086 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each
through Global Depositary Receipts (GDR's) in the international market
aggregating US $200 million.
- The Company has launched 'Tata Safari' in its Multi utility vehicle
-Tata Holset's turbo charger plant inaugurated on November 25, 1996.
- To meet the planned long-term capital requirement of funds, the
Company issued unsecured 10 year Yankee Bonds totalling US $ 200
million in the overseas market in July 1997.
- To meet its working capital needs, the Company issued Commercial
Paper (CP) of Rs. 300 crores for the first time. The CP programme was
given the highest rating of 'A1 +' by the Investment Credit Rating
- In November 1997, the Company made a private placement of 7-year
Secured Non-Convertible Debentures of Rs. 115 crores @ 12.25% - one of
the lowest rates for any such issue in the market.
- The Company made into auto related joint ventures promoted by Tata
Industires Ltd., viz., Tata Auto Comp Systems Ltd., and Concorde Motors
Ltd. (CML). CML estabished in associations with Jardine Matheson
Group, Hongkong would set up showcase dealerships in India for
- A new information technology company, Tata Technologies (India)
(TTIL), providing solutions to engineering, manufacturing and
distribution industries has been set up as a subsidiary of Telco.
- The Tatas are all set to establish a unit for producing trucks and
earth moving equipment at Dharwad.
- The Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company Ltd. (TELCO) has emerged
as numero uno in the Review 200 survey conducted by the Far Eastern
Economic Review in association with Citi Bank.
- Telco proposes to develop and produce various new models at an
investment of Rs.20 billion over the next few years.
- Automobile giant Telco will be installing an electronic data
interchange (EDI) network that will connect the Telco plants, with its
- The Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company (Telco) will pick up a 7.2
per cent stake and ACC Ltd 18.8 per cent in the revised equity
structure of Bridgestone-ACC, thus paving the way for a fresh round of
speculation on whether the cement major is actually out of the Tata
- Telco became the first Indian private company to reach the sales of
- Telco has entered into an alliance with Bridgestone to promote a new
company, in which Bridgestone will hold a 51 per cent equity stake, to
manufacture automotive tyres.
- The company will set up a 1.5-lakh per annum capacity car unit. The
proposed plant will be part of a comprehensive facility being set up by
Telco which will have flexible lines capable of manufacturing the small
car, the Sumo and other models which are being worked out.
- Telco's collaboration with John Deere is for the manufacture of 2.5
cum backhoe loaders which the company proposes to introduce in domestic
markets later this year. The company's technical agreement with
Hitachi is for the manufacture of a 60-tonne hydraulic excavator which
is slated to hit the market this year itself.
- The agreement with Le Moteur Moderne is for the development of diesel
and petrol engines for its passenger car project. With
Nachi-Fujikoshi, Telco plans to make an advanced generation of robots
to be used to weldline for the manufacture of Bodies-in-White (BIWs)
and to perform other operations during the manufacture of small cars to
ensure quality, accuracy, and fatigue-free high volume production.
- Telco's $200-million Yankee bond issue has been awarded a NAIC 2 by
the insurance companies rating standard in the United States. Telco is
only the second Yankee bond issue from India after Reliance Industries
and is the country's lowest-priced international bond. Telco is rated
Baa3 by Moody's and BB+ by Standard & Poor's, which are also India's
- The Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company (Telco) management has
signed a wage agreement with the Telco Employees' Union at the
Pimpri-Chinchwad manufacturing facility conceding a wage hike of
Rs.1,701 per month.
- The Karnataka plant is being set up to build special purpose and
heavy duty vehicles. It will, however, initially assemble company's
4,021 trucks and earth moving equipments and excavators.
- Telco is showcasing its sportscar 'Telsport' 4X4 for the first time
at the fourth Middle East International Show opening at Dubai on
- Telco is the second Indian four wheel maker after Mahindra and
Mahindra to participate in the show which has attracted 200 exhibitors
from 28 countries including world market leaders like BMW and Mercedes.
- Telcosport will be TELCO's first entrant in the passenger vehicle
segment to be followed by a five-door SUV in the later part of next
- The Industrial Credit & Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) has
entered into a Rs 167-crore structured deal with Telco. This is the
largest asset securitisation deal in the country.
- Tata Industries Ltd (TIL) is setting up a 50:50 joint venture in
alliance with Jardine International Motors Ltd (JIML) for establishing
an automobile retail and after-sales service company which will operate
dealerships for Telco passenger cars in certain cities in India.
- The Company introduced a 9-tonne vehicle which was well received in
the market. A 40 tonne tractor trailer powered by a Tata Cummins
Engineering was introduced.
- The Company developed a low floor bus chassis to meet the specific
needs of urban transport.
- The Company signed a new agreement with Hitachi for manufacture of
upgraded versions of existing range of excavators.
- Telco proposes to set up authorised service stations every 100 km on
- Telco is proposing to commercially produce compact, efficient and
economically viable vehicles which use alternative fuels within the
next two years.
- The Tata group has signed a joint venture with Jardine International
Motor Mauritious (JIMM) to establish a passenger car dealership network
in the country.
- Jardine International Motors (JIM), which recently set up a
Rs.86-crore joint venture vehicle dealership network, called Concorde
Motors Pvt. Ltd, in league with Tata Industries and Telco, has shown
interest in representing the latter in export markets.
- Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company Ltd (Telco) announced a
tie-up with Tata Finance Ltd and ANZ Grindlays Banks as the official
financiers for its small car 'Indica' to be launched in December.
- Tata Engineering Locomotive Company Ltd (Telco) is selling its
construction equipment business into a new subsidiary company, Telco
Construction Equipment Company Ltd.
- The Company in its small car segment has launched 'Tata Indica' which
evoked an overwhelming response in the Indian market.
- A new range of cummins engine powered vehicle which include a 35
tonne and a 40 tonne articulated truck and two variants of buses.
- To make substantial improvement in the quality of bus bodies
available with TATA vehicles, the Company encouraged a collaboration
between Fuji Heavy Industries of Japan and the Automobile corporation
of Goa. The new project undertakes production of bodies on TATA
chassis, conforming to the most exacting international standards.
- Concorde Motors Ltd., a Joint Venture between Tata Engineering and
Jardine International Motors (Mauritius) Ltd. was appointed as dealer
for the Company's passenger cars in several cities across the country,
in Feb 1998.
- Telco is the first Indian manufacturer to offer commercial vehicles
meeting euro-I emission norms, a year before they are due to be
introduced in the country.
- It is proposed to make TCECL a one-stop shop for construction
equipment and earthmoving machinery.
- TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company Ltd (Telco) will receive a
consideration of Rs 200 crore as equity and share premium and the rest
as loans valued at Rs 400 crore from the sale of its construction
- In Oct 1999, the Company won the National award for R&D Efforts in
Development of Indigenous Technology in the Mechanical Engineering
Industries Sector instituted by Department of Scientific and Industrial
Research, Ministry of Science and Technology for the year 1999.
- The company obtained shareholders' approval for hiving off the
division into a 100 per cent subsidiary, Telco Construction Equipment
Company Ltd (TCECL), at an extra general body meeting (EGM) held here
in Mumbai today.
- Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company Ltd. Spun off into a joint
venture company, the CEBU would be able to make a range of products,
besides maintaining dominant market share in existing products.
- Tata Holset is a 50:50 joint venture between Telco and its foreign
- SKF Bearings India Ltd has signed an agreement with Telco to supply
hub bearings for its latest model Tata Indica.
- Telco presently has a joint venture with Daimler-Chrysler in India,
Mercedes Benz India, which manufactures the top-of-the-line Rs 26
lakh-plus Mercedes Benz E Class. Telco has reduced its stake in the
venture to around 14 per cent.
- Tata Technologies, a Telco subsidiary, has launched a value chain
management (VCM) system designed to enable value-based interaction
between business partners and manufacturers.
- Machine Tools and Growth Divisions, Axle Division and Transmission
Division of Tata Engineering transferred to newly formed subsidiaries
Telco Automation Ltd., HV Axles Ltd.
- The Company has declared a lockout at its Lucknow plant following
employee unrest and policy firing. Employees have been demanding
parity in wages with their counterparts in the Telco establishments at
Jamshedpur and Pune.
- The Company is working towards introducing two new petrol-driven
variants of its small car Indica, powered by a multi-point fuel
- The Company has launched the Indica 2000, the Euro II Complaint, 75
BHP multi-point fuel injection (MPFI) version of Indica.
- The Company has won the National Technology Award for indigenous
development and commercialisation of the Tata Indica car.
- The Company has launched its new hi-tech Indica 2000 car with MPFI
petro engine in Guwahati.
- Tata Engineering is all set to become the first company in the group
to offer ESOPs to employees.
- The Engineering is exploring marketing tie-up with global automobile
- The Company is decentralising the marketing operations of its
commercial vehicle business.
- The Company has shut down its commercial vehicles assembling unit at
Lucknow following persistent labour problems.
- Telco has decided to defer the launch of its mid-sized passenger car,
Magna, to around June 2002.
- Tata Engineering & Locomotive Co., is renamed as Tata Engineering
Ltd. It has replaced its three-shift production line with a one-shift
daily schedule starting from 26th June.
- The Company has launched a programme 'Super bazar' for owners of
commercial vehicles whereby they can get their vehicles evaluated on
the spot as to present value and investment required for upgradation.
- The Company has appointed ICICI as a preferred financier for
customers buying its range of vehicles, including the Indica.
- Tata Engineering has seen a marginal increase in its market share in
the utility vehicle segment to 26.1 per cent for the period April-July.
- R B Khadikar, vice-president of engineering centre, telco has been
presented the 'outstanding automobile engineer of the year award' for
- The five-month-old lockout in the Lucknow unit of heavy automobiles
giant Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company has been lifted an
agreement between he management and employees.
- ICRA has revised the rating assigned to the Rs 600-crore long-term
NCD programmes of auto majorTelco from 'LAAA', indicating highest
safety to 'LAA+' indicating high safety.
- FICCI-SEDF- Businessworld-Compaq award for social responsiveness was
awarded to the company.
- The Central Pollution Control Board for Environmental Technology
award has been presented to Tata Engineering in recognition of its
contributuon towards efforts to conserve the environment.
- The Premier vehicle manufacturer of the country, TELCO, has closed
down its unit for maintenance for seven days from 27th November for the
first time in its 47-year history.
- Tata Engineering has joined hands with Daimler-Chrysler, the world's
third largest auto conglomerate, forming a consortium to bid for an
order of 60,000 light commercial vehicles from the South African
- V Krishnan has been appointed as Vice-President of Telco.
- The Company has bought a group pension insurance scheme for its
employees from the Life Insurance Corporation.
- Tata Engineering has decided to go in for a strategic alliance with
world leaders of engines, gearboxes and axles.
- Crisil has downgraded the Rs 177 crore non-convertible debenture
(NCD) issue of Tata Engineering to AA from AA+.
- Despite the slowdown in demand, Telco is targeting an 18 per cent
growth in its passenger car and utility vehicle volumes in the current
- Telco and PSA Peugeot Citroen have called off the proposed venture
for developing a mid-size passenger car.
- TATA Engineering on September 10 announced the addition of MPFI
petrol version to the Indica V2 range. The model will be available at
an ex-showroom price beginning Rs 3.22 lakh outside Mumbai.
- Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company, passing through its most
difficult phase in recent years, is planning to raise about Rs 300
crore through the sale of investments.
-Foreign Institutional Investors (FII) hike stake in the company to 13.34%
-Launches six new products in light, medium and heavy vehicles segments on Jan 15 during Auto Expo
-Announces financial restructuring
-Displays its Tata Sedan car at the Geneva Motor Show
-Indica adjudged top selling B-segment car in 2002
-Launches two new motorsport cars (The Zero and Double Zero Pace cars)
-High Court Approves Tata Engineering's Financial Restructuring
-Tata Engg, BPCL tie up to market co-branded lubricants
-Tata Steels investment in Tata Engineering has been hiked to Rs 117.98 crore over the last year
-Telco names Sedan as Tata Indigo
-Unveils 'EX' series of medium and heavy commercial vehicles
-Signs agreement with Depository for two way fungibility of GDRs with Ordinary Shares
-Begins work on its new second generation platform, which would replace the existing car with the utility vehicle platforms in all its products
-Uses Tata Safari in Ram Gopal Varma's film 'Road', spends close to Rs 1 crore for the in-film product placement
-Indica sales cross two-lakh mark
-Collaborates with Nippon-Arcelor for technical knowhow on CR steel
-Increases its equity in Concorde Motors to 49%
-Mops up Rs 100 cr through debenture issue
-Unveils the 207 DI, the first of its small commercial vehicles (SCV) in Maharashtra with a focus on the LCV segment
-Launches new range of Tata Safari
-Acquires 5.91% stake in Tata Precision Industries Pte Ltd., Singapore, taking the stakeholding in the company to 49.99%
-Ties up a manufacturing & supply agreement with MG Rover Group of the UK
-Floats division to develop used car market
-Releases medium size segment car Indigo in Andhra Pradesh
-Unveils Tata 207 DI in Andhra Pradesh
-Telco's sedan debutes at the top of the C-segment sales
-Receives Teri's (The Energy and Resources Institute) CoRE-BCSD (Corporate roundtable on development of strategies for sustainable development and environment-business council for sustainable development) corporate social responsibility (CSR) awards for '01-02
-Brings down price of passenger car following the excise duty reduction in the Budget
-Unveils Indigo Station Wagon at the Geneva Auto Show
-Signs distribution agreement with Rover for Safari in UK
-Standard & Poor's Ratings Services revises the outlook on its 'BB-' rating for Tata Engineering to stable from negative
-Overtakes Hyundai in passenger vehicle market
-Unveils 'Tata 207 DI' in Delhi
-For the first time in the auto industry, Tata Engineering outsources the manufacturing activities of its special, fully-built vehicles range that includes ambulances, tippers produced at Dharwar unit in Karnataka
-Company turns around, posts profit of Rs 300.11 crore as against the loss of Rs 53.73 crore the previous corresponding period
-Unveils 'Tata 207 DI' in Mumbai
-International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private lending arm of the World Bank, inks $50 mn loan agreement with Telco
-Company name changed from Tata Engineering & Locomotive Company Ltd. (Telco) to Tata Motors Ltd. (TML) with effect from July 29, 2003
-Successfully completes Foreign Currency Convertible Bond offering aggregating $90 million with a green shop option of $10 million
-Issues 1% convertible notes due 2008
-Tata Motors, IOC tie-up for joint marketing services
-Unveils a customer care campaign called Project Vishwaas for its commercial customers across the country
-Crosses production milestone of 3 million
-Unleashes Safari's petrol version; priced at Rs 9.35 lakh
-Tata Motors Ltd signed a binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Deawoo Commercial Vehicle Company Ltd (DWCV), Korea for the acquisition of this company.
-Introduces Tata SFC 407 EX Turbo Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV)
- The Company shall be changed from 'TELCO ' to 'TATAMOTORS' w.e.f December 24, 2003.
-Tata Safari ranks No 1 in MUV/SUV segment
-Tata Motors launch an upgraded version Indica on January 15, 2004, in a bid to shore up sales of the small car.
-Auto Expo: Tata unveils new version of Indica
-Tata Motors unveils Indica V2
- Tata Motors launches new Indica V2 in Kerala
-Tata Motors introduces new 'Indicab' for tour operators
-The much hyped Rs one lakh passenger car project of Tata Motors was going ahead as planned.
-Tata Motors in talks with bus body builders to franchise manufacturing
-Tata Motors enters agreement with Ukraine bus building firm
-Tata Motors enters into agreement with Etalon
-In a move to consolidate its presence in the light commercial vehicles segment, Tata Motors has launched a new variant of its 407 series with increased pay load capacity called SFC 407EX.
-Tata Motors buys Daewoo truck unit for Rs 465 crore
-Tata Motors unveils Tata SFC 407 EX in Kerala
-Tata Motors inks agreement with Austrian, French companies
-Acquires Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company Ltd (DWCV), Korea.
-Tata Motors launches new 6-tn truck
- Tata Motors forays into used truck biz with Tata Preowned
-Tata Motors, the country's largest commercial vehicles manufacturer unveiled the new LPT 909EX Turbo Truck in Tamil Nadu.
-Tata Motors and Tata Africa unveiled a range of passenger cars, utility vehicles, pick-ups, trucks and buses for the South African market
-Tata Motors has launched a facelifted version of its multiutility vehicle, Tata Sumo
-Tata mototrs rolls out Tata SFC 407EX BS II turbo light commercial vehicle
- HR-training division of Tata Motors bags the prestigious and internationally recognised 'Golden Peacock National Training Award' in the category of 'Large Employer'.
-Tata Motors launches Indigo Marina on September 14, 2004
-Tata Motors joins hands with Magma Leasing Ltd
-Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) has entered into a marketing tie-up with automobile manufacturer Tata Motors for marketing of engine oils as co-branded lubricants for their commercial vehicles
-Tata unveils Indigo Marina in Kerala
-Andhra Bank ties up with Tata Motors
-Tata Motors unveils 2 new versions of Indica
-Tata Motors has tied-up with Corporation Bank to offer finance options for passenger car vehicles at nine per cent interest for a three repayment period and 9.5 per cent interest for five year repayment
-Tata Motors on December 7, 2004, signs an MoU with State Bank of India (SBI)
-Tata Motors inks agreement with Hispano Carrocera for 21 pc stake
-Tata Motors & Hispano Carrocera SA sign Investment Agreement
-Tata Motors partners with IOC for bio-diesel pilot project
-Tata Motors launches ACE
-Tata Motors unveils Tata Safari DICOR in Kerala market on August 11, 2005.
-Tata Motors rolls out 2 luxury variants of Indigo
-Sumantran quits Tata Motors
-Tata Motors unveiled new Indica V2 Turbo with a price tag of Rs 4.10 lakh for DLG variant and Rs 4.31 lakh for DLX
-Tata Motors unveils Novus
-Tata Motors ropes in CVTech to make parts for its small car
-Tata Daewoo inks pact with Pakistan co.
-Tata Motors launches Cliffrider
- Tata Motors unveils new long wheel base premium Indigo & X-over concept at Auto Expo 2006
- Indica V2 Xeta launched
- Passenger Vehicle sales in India cross one-million mark
- Tata Motors and Marcopolo, Brazil, announce joint venture to manufacture fully built buses & coaches for India & markets abroad
- Tata Motors has been presented the Golden Peacock Global Award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the Large Business category by the Institute of Directors.
- Tata Motors buys Nissan facility in S. Africa.
- Tata Motors has got a prestigious order from the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) for 500 non-AC, CNG-propelled buses.
- Tata Motors Ltd has appointed Mr. P M Telang as Executive Director (Commercial Vehicles).
- Tata Motors Ltd has informed about the appointment of Dr. R A Mashelkar, Independent Director as an Additional Director of the Company with immediate effect.
- Tata Motors has rolled out the Sumo Victa Turbo DI, the new advanced range of its entry-level utility vehicle, the Sumo Spacio.
-Tata Motors signs deal with Chrysler electric vehicle unit.
- Tata Motors launched out the new generation of its flagship passenger car Indica on Aug 23. The new model called 'Indica Vista' 3.8 m long and 1.7 m wide is larger than the existing Indica and has more interior space than the original one.
- Tata Motors has entered into an agreement with Andhra Bank for financing its range of passenger vehicles, which will provide an added facility of car finance to its customers.
- Tata Motors Ltd has appointed Mr. V K Jairath, Independent Director as an Additional Director of the Company with effective from March 31, 2009.
- Bank of India has entered into a pact with Tata Motors for financing Fiat cars, which are available through the Tata-Fiat dealer network. For availing the loans, the customers can get loans at special interest rates of 9.75 per cent to 10.25 per cent for loans up to Rs 10 lakh for the Linea, Palio and soon-to-be launched Grande Punto.
- Tata Motors, one of the promoter group companies of Tata Steel, has pledged its entire holding of over 1.04 crore shares in the steel major
- Tata Motors on June 2 opened its brand new plant in Sanand, set up at a cost of Rs 2,000 crore, to manufacture wonder car Nano. The Sanand plant was inaugurated by Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. According to Tata officials, the Sanand plant will have an initial production capacity of 2.5 lakh Nano cars a year, which will be gradually increased to 5 lakh cars a year.
- IndusInd Bank and Tata Motors inked an agreement. As per the deal, IndusInd Bank will provide channel finance facilities to Tata Motors' dealers. Meanwhile, the dealers of Tata Motors will now have access to ready upstream finance from IndusInd Bank.