|Themis Chemicals Limited was incorporated in 1969 as a Limited Company in the form of a Joint Venture between M/s Chemosyn Private Limited and Medimpex Trading Company Ltd. (Medimpex). The joint venture had technical and financial participation by Medimpex, a Hungarian trading company for pharmaceuticals products.
Themis Chemicals Limited was incorporated with the aim of manufacturing and marketing life saving drugs and their formulations.
In 1983-84, Mr Shantilal D. Patel and Mr. K.T. Lakdawala (one of the promoters of Chemosyn Pvt. Ltd.), took over the management of the Company by taking over the controlling share in the Company from Chemosyn Private Ltd. The Company now operates as a joint venture between Medimpex and the S.D. Pate Family. Since 1983-84 the Company has been managed by Dr. Dinesh S. Patel, Mrs. Jayashree D.
Patel and other professionals under the guidance of Mr. S.D. Patel, Mr.K.T.Lakdawala and other members of the Board.
In 1971, TCL started with the manufacture of Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamine) using anaerobic, non-sterile fermentation technology. They were only the second Company in the world to manufacture this product.
In the early 1970s the Company introduced formulations of the anti-tuberculosis drug, Ethambutol Hydrochloride in the Indian Market. Subsequently, the Company ventured into the manufacture of formulations for various therapeutic groups.
The Company has also developed the technology for the production of antibiotics such as Gentamycin, Rifampicin and Sisomicin using in-house fermentation technology. TCL is engaged in the production of high technology Synthetic Bulk Drugs like Ethambutol, Pyrazinamide, Pyrithioxine and Phenylglycine derivatives.
At present the Company is engaged in manufacturing and selling of synthetic bulk drugs and formulations. TCL operates in the therapeutic segments of antituberculosis, cerebroactivators, bronchodilators, antiasthmatic, anesthetic and other segments.
The antituberculosis bulk drugs and formulations constitute about 60% of the turnover. TCL has a wide range of anti tuberculosis drugs. The company ranks fourth in terms of turnover in this market (SOURCE : ORG Retail Survey Audit (August 1994). The remaining turnover is made of other bulk drugs, bulk drug intermediates and formulations in the
anesthetic, appetite stimulant, bronohodilator, and other therapeutic groups. The growth rates for the Company and the market for some of the segments that it operates in are given below:
Market growth Brand growth Market
rate rate share
Ethambutol group 7.3% 28.7% 20.9%
group 10.6% 52.9% 6.7%
Terbutaline group 27.8% 65.6% 0.5%
SOURCE : ORG Retail Survey Audit (August 1994)
Some of the drugs introduced in the last year have been; Hemolok - under license from Usolje Sibirsky Himpharmkombinat (A Russian Institute). Centoblok - under license from Central Drug Research Institute, (CDRI)-
The Company has also started exporting 'Fumagillin', an antibacterial product for veterinary use, for which it has a confirmed buy back arrangement with Chinoin of Hungary.
The Company seeks to introduce new technology with the aim to produce the latest drugs at competitive prices. For this purpose the Company has a Research and Development Centre, which is approved by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, so as to keep pace with the newer developments in the field of biotechnology,
synthetic bulk drugs, natural products and formulations. The research centre works in close co-operation with the various reputed Research Laboratories of the country. The Company has not had any strike/lockout in last 20 years in any of its plants.
The company has manufacturing facilities located at Vapi and Hyderabad. The plant at Vapi manufactures intermediaries and bulk drugs for the anti tuberculosis segment. Besides this, it manufactures various
formulations in the tablet form, for anti tuberculosis and other therapeutic segments. This plant also undertakes some contract manufacturing.
The facility at Hyderabad has been taken on a sublease arrangement from an associate concern. This facility manufactures formulations for various segments in the tablet, injectable and syrup forms.
MAIN OBJECTS OF THE COMPANY
The main objects of the Company as set out in the Memorandum & Articles of Association and inter alia include;
1) To carry on business as manufacturers of all kinds of drugs, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, fermentation products, natural products, synthetic products, feed supplements, cosmetics, etc.
2) To develop and to acquire technical know how, receipts and information to manufacture and right to process and manufacture drugs, pharmaceuticals, and fine chemicals of all kinds, cosmetics, natural and synthetic products, fermentation products, and feed supplements of all kinds and of all forms, and to enter into arrangements for use or
acquiring proprietary rights of trademarks, patents regarding above.
3) To carry on business as buyers, sellors, and dealers in all kinds of medicines and medicinal preparations, drugs, chemicals, natural and synthetic products, fermentation products, feed supplements and cosmetics by wholesale and retail.
4) To acquire by purchase locally or by import or otherwise manufacture for sale locally or by export or for consumption or use by the company, or otherwise for trade in all goods and articles usually used in the manufacture of drugs, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, fermentation
products, natural and synthetic products, feed supplements, extracts etc.
5) To carry on the business of export and import of drugs, chemicals, natural and synthetic products, feed supplements and cosmetics in all kinds and all forms.
The Company does not have any subsidiaries.
2000 - The Company proposes to change the name of the company from Themis
Chemicals Limited to Themis Medicare Limited.
-Mumbai-based Themis Medicare (TML) has completed the merger of Artemis Biotech with itself
- Themis Medicare Ltd and Gedeon Richter Ltd (Budapest, Hungary) sign an agreement on August 24, 2004 at Budapest to establish a Company for manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and intermediates mainly for exports
-Themis Medicare Ltd has has signed an Agreement with M/s. Darou Pakhsh Pharma Chem. (DPPC) of Iran
- The Board Meeting of the Company was held on 27th April, 2007 to discuss the regular business affairs of the Company. Further, in the said meeting Mr.Rajneesh Anand was also appointed as Alternate Director of the Company pursuant to Section 313 of the Companies Act, 1956.
- Themis Medicare Ltd has informed BSE that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on January 30, 2009, inter alia, has appointed Shri. Rajneesh Anand, as an Additional Director.