- Midland Bank Ltd., a major British Bank quoted on the U.K. Stock
Exchange, acquired a majority shareholding interest in Thomas Cook
Group and the remaining shares in 1977 making it a wholly owned
subsidiary with a public issued in 1982, its shareholding was diluted.
- The Company was incorporated on 21st October, under the name Thomas
Cook (India) Private Ltd. It was converted into a public limited
company on 12th March, 1979. The Company is authorised dealers in
foreign exchange, travel agents, tour operators and freight operators.
- Thomas Cook was the first organised travel agent in the world and he
also invested in travel business. He commenced business in the United
Kingdom in 1841.
- Thomas Cook also introduced travellers cheques which were originally
called circular notes. It also a large trader in the buying and
selling of foreign currency bank notes.
- The consideration for the transfer of business was discharged in the
following manner - (i) Allotment of 2,79,993 No. of equity shares of Rs
10 each at par without payment in cash amounting to Rs 27,99,930 and
(ii) Interest free loan repayable in five equal annual instalments
amounting to Rs 30,99,485.
- Seven equity shares of Rs 10 each issued for cash to the nominees of
Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., England were subsequently transferred to
Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., England.
- 7 shares subscribed for by the nominees of Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd.,
U.K., 2,79,993 shares reserved and allotted to Thomas Cook Overseas
Ltd., U.K., without payment in cash. 1,05,000 shares to State Bank of
India and 35,000 shares to Indian working directors/employees of the
company were reserved and allotted. 2,80,000 shares offered at par to
the public in December.
- 3,50,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- The Company an launched an 'Executive Plaza' at Mumbai. The Company
had also received an approval from RBI for operating exchange bureaus
at International Airports.
- 5,25,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- The Company proposed to open a foreign exchange bureau at Goa and a
full fledged branch at Ahmedabad, counters at Mumbai & Delhi
International Airports, Thiruvananthapuram International Airports, with
which the Company can operate through its 27 locations in 12 cities in
- The Company made requisite applications for investing in the share
capital of Hindustan Cargo Pvt. Ltd., incorporated on 7th December,
with a view to making it a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company.
- India Alive Tours Ltd., Thomas Cook Tours Ltd., and Indian Horizon
Travel & Tours Ltd., are subsidiaries of the Company.
- 15,75,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1 on 28th December.
- The Company recommenced capitalisation of Reserves by issue of
21,00,000 shares for 31,50,000 shares held i.e. bonus issue in the
ratio of 2:3. This is basically to adjust the disparity between the
paid-up capital of Rs 315 lakhs and the distributable reserves of Rs
2619.4 lakhs as at 31st December.
- The Company had launched a Mobile Exchange Bureau in Mumbai in June.
- During December, the Company issued 35,00,000 bonus equity shares in
- The Company tied-up with Conard Cruise Lines and was appointed as
their GSA's in India. The Company was appointed by Club med, World's
largest holiday resort, as their selling agent in Western and Southern
- Thomas Cook has introduced Delhi's first mobile forex bureau. This
is the company's second mobile van in the country.
- Thomas Cook (India) has proposed to issue bonus shares in the ratio
of two shares for every three shares held, on encouraging results.
- The joint venture between State Bank of India (SBI) and Thomas Cook
has identified two of SBI branches in Goa, Callangute and Maragaon to
launch its travel-related products.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has introduced a unique service disaster
recovery service in collaboration with Europe Assist of France.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has launched 'Money Gram', to help travellers
to overcome any financial crunch while their visit in India.
- Thomas Cook (India), a 40% subsidiary of one of the world's oldest
travel companies, Thomas Cook UK, has reported an encouraging
performance for 1997.
- For the first time ever, India's biggest travel company, Thomas Cook
India, and Hong Kong Bank have come together to introduce two credit
cards which take away the pain from arranging foreign exchange and
making rupee payments up front.
- Interestingly, the debit card is the latest product to be introduced
by Thomas Cook International and has been launched in Britain
- Thomas Cook India Ltd, the largest player in the travel trade, has
become one of the first companies in India to enforce a formal code of
business ethics and conduct for its employees and business associates.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd (TCIL) TCIL will be expanding overseas through
a newly floated subsidiary - Thomas Cook Mauritius Holding Company Ltd
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd is planning to enter the credit card
business. The Indian subsidiary of the foreign exchange and travel
business major Thomas Cook is currently negotiating with a couple of
foreign banks for collaboration.
- Thomas Cook is the first company to introduce the concept of travel
money card in India in association with Visa.
- Thomas Cook, leading international travel and financial services
company, has launched its travellers cheques in the new euro currency.
- Thomas Cook has introduced the Euro Travellers cheque. These cheques
can be bought at any Thomas Cook outlet alongside its existing range of
foreign currency cheques in US, Australian and Canadian dollars, UK
pound sterling, French francs, Deutsche marks, Swiss francs, Japanese
yen and Dutch guilders.
- Leading travel house Thomas Cook has pitched for international Travel
House (ITH), a subsidiary of tobacco major ITC Ltd.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd. has launched 'global travel services' in the
Indian market. The travel services will offer a range of travel,
financial, emergency and other special services. India is the second
country after the UK where the product has been launched.
- Thomas Cook and Tourisme France International have signed an
agreement for promoting the new product in India.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has lined up a major expansion plan which
includes acquisition of rivals, foray into insurance and setting up of
a 100 per cent subsidiary in Mauritius.
- The Indian subsidiary is contributing nearly 10 per cent to Thomas
Cook's global profits.
- The company has launched Visa Travel Money Card, a prepaid ATM card
which enables the traveller to withdraw local currency from more than
44,000 Visa ATMs cash dispensers across 117 countries worldwide.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd will launch an e-commerce website that will
function as a one-stop information centre by November.
- Thomas Cook had opened a 100 per cent subsidiary in Mauritius to look
after the marketing operations in Burma, Mauritius, Seychelles and the
whole of SAARC region.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd (TCIL) in league with Standard Chartered Bank
(Stanchart), launched a co-branded global credit card targeted at the
'serious traveller', a worldwide first for the Thomas Cook Group.
- India is the second biggest market for Thomas Cook after the UK.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd will soon be launching a domestic call centre
for product information as well as for support and service, including
emergency services for its customers.
- The Credit Rating Information Services of India Ltd (Crisil) has
assigned the highest safety ratings to the debt programms of GE Capital
Services (GE Caps), Thomas Cook (India) Ltd (TCIL) and AMP India Ltd.
- Thomas Cook has introduced professional travel help for the first
time in India, launching a 'Global Help Card' called 'Friend'.
- Travel and forex house the Company was in talks with Travel
Corporation of India for a possible tie-up or acquisition.
- The Company has taken over the largest domestic in bound tour
operator Travel Corporation of India.
- The Board considered a proposal for incorporation of a wholly-owned
subsidiary company in Srilanka and/or acquiring the existing business
of Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., UK's branch in Sri Lanka.
- In a rather unusual arrangement, the Katgaras of Travel Corporation
of India will continue to manage TCI even after the agency has been
taken over by the Mumbai-based travel major Thomas Cook India.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd. launched the International Airline Passenger
Association (IAPA) card in India. The Company's card poducts division
has also signed an exclusive marketing partnership agreement with IAPA
for India and the seven SAARC countries.
- Thomas Cook India has tied up with Citibank India to launch Thomas
Cook-Citibank Holiday Loans for holiday seekers.
2002-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors at its meeting held on December 05, 2002 have appointed Mr K S V Krishnamachari as SBI Nominee in place of Mr R Sundararaman SBI Nominee on the Board of the Company effective December 05, 2002.
2003-Thomas Cook India Ltd informs BSE that the Board of Directorsthe appointment of
Mr Stefan Pichler as a non-retiring Directors on the Board of the Company with effect from January 16, 2003. Mr Stefan Pichler is appointed by Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd (TCIL) today (February 6, 2003) announces the appointment of Mr Stefan Pichler, Chairman and CEO, Thomas Cook AG, as its new Chairman of the Board. The appointment will take effect after the conclusion of the company's Annual General Meeting on February 24, 2003. Due to this, Mr Pradip Madhavji steps down from the position of Chairman of the company.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed BSE that the Board of Directors at its meeting held on February 24, 2003 taken on record :
1. Appointment of Mr Stefan Pichler as a Non-Executive Chairman on the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003.
2. Appointment of Mr Alan Stewart as Non-Executive Vice Chairman on the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003.
3. Resignation of Mr P P Madhavji from the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003.
4. Resignation of Mr M L Apte from the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003.
-Thomas Cook ties up with Galelio India, to offer electronic ticketing for air travel in India.
-Company launches its Foreign Exchange Services at Bandaranaike International Airport .
2003-Company bagged the much coveted award for Corporate Governance, the prestigious Golden Peacock Award initiated by the Institute of Directors (IOD), a non profit organisation, in association with World Environment Foundation (WEF), Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), World Council for Corporate Governance (WCFCG) and Centre for Corporate Governance.
-Thomas Cook sets up Mauritius office
-Thomas Cook India Ltd hasappointed Mr. Vinayak Purohit, as an Additional Director and Executive Director - Finance of the Company with effect from May 14, 2007.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on November 24, 2007, has taken on record the appointment of Mrs. Bharati Rao as a Nominee Director - State Bank of India on the Board in place of Mr. Y V Vijayanand.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has announced that the Company on December 13, 2007 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with JTB Corp. Japan, one of the largest travel solutions Companies in the world.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs1/-.
-The company has issued rights in the ratio of 35:100 at a premium of Rs.34.5/-Per Share.