Top gainers on the Sensex were:
- Jaiprakash Associates up 2.39% at Rs 70.60..
- Hindalco is up 2.24% at Rs 139.30..
- Tata Power up 2.31% at Rs 99.45..
- Infosys up 2.04% at Rs 2,775.
- Sterlite Ind up 2.23% at Rs 110.25.
Top losers on the Sensex were:
- Coal India down 2.75% at Rs 323.40.
- Cipla down 1.4% at Rs 324.65.
- Sun Pharma down 0.93% at Rs 519.60.
- Bharti Airtel down 2.29% at Rs 381.35.
- NTPC down 1.53% at Rs 173.20.
Cigarette major, ITC was trading at Rs 207.55 up 1.72%, while Refinery major, HPCL was trading at Rs 288.05 up 0.44%.
“The resistance of 5070 seems ready to be broken out of, so all in all, things look good,” said Sudarshan Sukhani, s2analytics.com in a television interview to CNBC-TV18.
“The Nifty needs to rise above 5,400 for the rally to sustain. At the moment, nothing really tells me that we will take 5,400 out in a hurry," said trader Atul Suri.
“We have been saying that problems are in the US and Europe, but believe it or not, those charts are looking better," he said.
"You could see some surprise trend reversals that could be a trigger for our market to move higher, if and when that happens," he said.