Yes, you can ask for your balance or make a cheque book request by just dialing *99# from your mobile or landline.
The service would allow every banking customer to access banking services with a single number across all banks - irrespective of the telecom service provider, mobile handset make or the region.
Recently, Shri P Chidambaram, Honourable Finance Minister of India launched NPCI's National Unified USSD platform (NUUP) mobile banking service.
Benefits of this service
*99# one number for every Indian to access banking services.
- 90% of phones used in the country are GSM phones and this service works on all GSM phones irrespective of handset make, cost, operating system or even the telecom service provider
- Works on basic voice connectivity - unlike an application GPRS connectivity is not required
- The customer need not download any application on the phone Question and answer driven interaction - simple for everyone to understand
Benefits to the Bank
- *99# service can be used at BC POS terminals to serve the rural populace
- Access to all telecom service providers through a single integration with National Payment Corporation of India
- Easier adaption to mobile banking due to simplicity of service and technology
- Easier to promote a single code *99# for banking services across all banks.