Telenor to stop services in Mumbai zone after court order

Telenor's India unit has announced that it would immediately shut down its mobile phone services in Mumbai zone after a court order revoked its permits. The company failed to win fresh rights to airwaves and hence is required to stop services.

Telenor's permits in 22 zones were among those ordered to be revoked by India's Supreme Court last year after 2G scam came out into the open.

Telenor won rights to airwaves in six of those zones in an auction in November and has said it might decide to bid for spectrum in Mumbai zone in an auction due in March.

In a statement, Sigve Brekke, managing director of Telenor's India operations, said, "Unfortunately, we have no choice now but to follow the court's order and close down our network immediately."

The Telenor unit had 1.8 million customers in Mumbai as of December.

Read more about: telenor
Story first published: Monday, February 18, 2013, 10:30 [IST]
Please Wait while comments are loading...
Company Search
Enter the first few characters of the company's name or the NSE symbol or BSE code and click 'Go'

Thousands of Goodreturn readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?