So far, debit cards were used, but a buyer did not have to insert any number and the transaction was executed. However, this may not have provided the much needed security.
The addition of the ATM PIN now provides one more layer of security involving a debit card transaction.
What will the payment process involve?
* After making your purchase and handing over the debit card, the vendor will swipe your card at a Point of Sale machine that is PIN enabled.
* The vendor will then enter the amount.
* The Point of Sale machine will prompt for the ATM PIN to be entered only by the ATM card holder.
* On entering the same, the payment is processed and the payment transaction is complete.
Important points to remember
* Card holders should enter their PIN number themselves and not disclose the PIN number to others to be entered.
* When entering your ATM PIN number, one should ensure that it is shielded and nobody is able to view the number you are entering.
* Try to keep a sight of your debit card, whenever you are giving it for payment.
* Also do not forget to take your debit card with you.