By now most of us subscribing to the Employees Provident Fund must be familiar with the Universal Account Number being allotted by the authorities, through your companies.
Earlier this year, the Minister of Labour & Employment asked organisations across the country to begin the process of ensuring that all provident fund or Employees Provident Fund subscribers who are part of the PF Act, start initiating the process of allocating a Universal Account Number or UAN.
A Universal Account Number (UAN) will be generated for each of the EPF contributing members, helping you know your PF status. What this UAN number does is that it allows you to permanently use the number irrespective of job change. It will remain with you as long as you are working and subscribing to the EPF.
Several employees now have received their UAN number. We can now check the balance using this number.
Read more on what UAN is here
How to Check EPF balance?
To begin the process we must first visit: http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/
Once you have visited the same you can see login on the right side of the page. Below that you can see activate your login. Click on "activate your login". Thereafter you would receive a box to tick titled "I have understood the instructions".
After this step you have certain instructions that you need to fill in.
1) Enter the Universal Account Number or UAN
2) Enter Your Mobile Number
3) Select the state and the office.
4) Enter your company code provided by your employer
5) Please type the characters shown in the box.
Thereafter you would receive the PIN on your mobile.
You can thereafter enter a new password, while the login remains your UAN ID. You can download your UAN Card, updated PF - Passbook and can view status of your PF Transfers.
What You Need To Know About The UAN?
1) You need to contact your employer, if you have not received one.
2) A password is needed to view your balance using the UAN.
3) You can view and download your EPF passbook to know the exact balance.
4) In case there is a need to update your know your customer details, it can be done using the portal.
5) You can use the Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License etc., for the KYC purpose.
6) You will have only one number in case, you change your employment. It is pretty much like a income tax one, where there will be only one number all your life.
7) Employers too can use the portal to check certain details.
8) In due course, you can file a claim online as well.
9) You can also correct the information in the database.
10) The employer can use the portal to view an employees UAN number as well.
11) Mobile and email IDs can also be added to the KYC information and can be changed as well.
Some conditions to fulfil before you have UAN
There are certain conditions that you must fulfill, before you apply and have a UAN:
1) You should have entered the records of the PF department from Jan 2014.
2) You must apply and get a UAN allotted by your company.
3) You cannot check your pf balance, unless you have registered and than applied for a UAN.
4) You must upload some documents pertaining to know your customer requirements.
Simple process to follow and check EPF balance through UAN:
a) Begin the process by activating your UAN.
b) You need to enter your mobile number as well as the UAN number.
c) Your PIN will be sent to your mobile, which you need to enter.
d) Your UAN credentials will be identified.
e) The user name will be the UAN number of yours.
f) You proceed to create a password.
g) You are now registered on the UAN portal. You can now check your PF balance using the UAN number.
It's important that you have your UAN number and other PF details, before you check your balance. If your employer has not yet facilitated the process of procuring a UAN for company employees, you can ask them to.
These days the UAN is also being linked to your Aadhar card number. This will facilitate faster processing of your PF amount. One is not sure whether there can now be an online withdrawal of PF, but, that is very much possible.
The EPF department now wants to facilitate the transfer of funds within 21 days from receipt of application. In fact, according to statistics, 79 per cent of all withdrawals in the month of June 2015, were done in a matter of 10 days.