Losing a credit card can be a nightmare for many of us, if we do not know what should be done before hand. Lost cards cal cause huge financial loss, especially if your credit limit is high.
However, certain banks do offer insurance cover on your credit card. The banks may consider obtaining in writing from the credit card holders the details of nominee/s for the insurance cover in respect of accidental death and disablement benefits.
Security of the credit card primarily lies on its number, if it is disclosed means security is compromised. So, one needs to be careful while handing card to others.
Pr-requisite: Keep your previous credit statement handy, it will help you ask few security questions.
Here is what to do in case you lose your credit card
1) The First thing to do is call your banks customer care and block your card. To block the card one has to go through some security questions like account number, last purchased amount, date of missing card etc. If your credit card is linked to your account you can deactivate it using net banking.
2) It is better to follow with the bank an e-mail or formal letter till you get acknowledgment. It may be helpful in case of disputes at a later stage.
3) In case your card has been misused you need to lodge a police complaint. This is usefully where transactions made are of a huge amount.
4) One can re-apply while paying additional charges as applicable. Charges differs from bank to bank.
1) Keep your card safely
2) Don't carry PIN along with your card
3) Compulsorily destroy your old card
4) Periodically check your statement
4) It is better not to lend your credit card to your friends
It is better to take utmost care of your card as the bank may place the onus of a financial loss back on you. It's best you act swiftly to avoid or minmise losses in case your card is lost or stolen.