We do lot of transactions at at an ATM apart from the usual cash withdrawals. Make sure only one card holder is present at one kiosk at a time.
Here are Do's and Don'ts to keep transaction safe and secure at ATMs
1) Security of PIN
- He/she should never lend his/her card to anyone.
- Do not write PIN on the card.
- Never share PIN with anyone or seek help from anybody by handing over the card and revealing the PIN.
- Never let anyone see the PIN while it is being entered at the ATM
- Never use a PIN that could be easily guessed. e.g. his/her birthday, birthday of spouse or telephone number.
- Never leave card in the ATM/WLA.
- Register mobile number with the card issuing bank for getting alerts for ATM /WLA transactions.
- Any unauthorized card transaction in the account, if observed, should be immediately reported to the card issuing bank.
- Beware of any extra devices attached to the ATMs/WLAs. These may be put to capture customer's data fraudulently. If any such device is found, inform the security guard / bank/ white label ATM entity maintaining it immediately.
- Keep an eye on suspicious movements of people around ATMs/WLAs.
- Customer should beware of strangers trying to engaging him/her in conversation or offering assistance / help in operating the ATM.
Remember that bank officials will never ask for card details or PIN over telephone / email. So, do not respond to any vishing / phishing mails from people indicating that they represent your bank.