EPF similar to a PPF scheme was started to create a retirement kitty for individuals but the facility is available primarily to employed class. Towards the EPF account, both the employee and employer contribute 12% of their basic pay and dearness allowance, and the corpus can be withdrawn after one retires from active working life. Nonetheless, to render the EPF account more subscriber-friendly, on some of the instances pre-mature withdrawal is allowed.
Some of the cases that allow partial withdrawal are as follows:
1. House renovation
4. Child education
6. Loan repayment
7. Purchase of land or house
It is to be noted that PF fund withdrawn before the completion of 5 years results in tax implications.
To check the status of claim made on the EPF funds, one can visit the EPFO portal www.epfindia.gov.in.
1. On the site under 'Our services' option, you need to select the field saying 'For employees'.
2. Registered members can log into their EPF account by entering the valid UAN number and password
3. Here you need to select the member ID for which you have applied for the EPF claim proceeds and click on 'View claim status' i.e. there on the extreme right side of the page.
4. Herein the status of the claim application will appear.
As per the EPFO website, the UAN based enquiry for claim settlement has now been moved within the ambit of member passbook application where the registered member can log in and get the status. This has been done in order to prevent leakage of personal data of members as also any fraudulent transaction.
Other than this members can also know the status of their transfer claim or withdrawal request by a making a call on the EPFO helpline number 1800118005.