Having an updated Aadhar is not only beneficial but necessary. It is important to have your contacts details updated so that you are being informed of any Aadhar related verification.
From changing your name in the records to requesting your Aadhar authentication history, you require a contact number that should be updated to receive and apply the OTP that will be sent to your registered mobile number.
So how does one change their mobile number in the Aadhar records?
The two obvious ways are online and offline. You can use-
Online: If you have already registered your mobile number with Aadhar before and the previous number is still functionally working.
Offline: If it is your first time registering your mobile number with Aadhar or you do not have access to your previously registered number.
- Click on this link. This link takes you to Aadhar's self-service update portal.
- In case the link does not work. Go to the UIDAI website, click on 'Aadhar Update Request (Online)' under 'Aadhar Update.' Then hit 'Proceed' on the right side below. This should take you to the same link mentioned in Step 1.
- You should now be able to see the following page.
- Enter your Aadhar number and the text verification number that appears in the boxes given. Then click on 'Send OTP.'
- Next, submit your OTP, and this should take you to a new page for updating new details.
- You can update Name, Gender, Mobile, Address, Date of Birth and Email ID, but since we are changing mobile number select 'Mobile Number' from the 'Select field(s) to update' and enter your new mobile number. The click on 'Submit update request.'
- This should take you to a new page which should display your new number. Click on the declaration statement if submitted correctly and then click 'Proceed.'
- Since there is no requirement to submit proof for mobile number, click 'Submit.'
- The page with the display the URN number. Note it done to track the status of the update made.
- You can track the status on UIDAI website and click on 'Check Status - Updation done Online' under 'Aadhar Update'.
Visit your nearest Aadhar center and fill an 'Aadhaar Update/Correction Form' and submit it. It should take ten days to update your mobile number. Your biometrics data would be verified, and you will have to submit an existing government ID proof.