Having an updated Aadhaar is not only beneficial but necessary. It is important to have your contacts details updated so that you are being informed of any Aadhar related verification.
From changing your name in the records to requesting your Aadhaar authentication history, you require a contact number that should be updated in your Aadhar to receive the OTP (one time password) that will be sent to your registered mobile number.
These days many services like opening a demat account can be done at home using just your internet connected device and your Aadhaar linked to your mobile number. With a simple OTP based verification process, the KYC requirements can be completed.
The Aadhaar based KYC verification process not only saves time but is secure and user-friendly. Updating one's mobile number in UIDAI's record is also equally simple.
So how does one change their mobile number in the Aadhaar records?
The two obvious ways are online and offline. You can use-
Online: If you have already registered your mobile number with Aadhar before and the previous number is still functionally working.
Offline: If it is the first time you are registering your mobile number with Aadhar or you do not have access to your previously registered number.
Online method to update your mobile number in Aadhaar:
- Click on this link. This link will take you to Aadhar's self-service update portal.
- In case the link does not work. Go to the UIDAI website, click on 'Aadhar Update Request (Online)' under 'Aadhar Update.' Then hit 'Proceed' on the right side below. This should take you to the same link mentioned in Step 1.
- You should now be able to see the following page.
- Enter your Aadhar number and the text verification number that appears in the boxes given. Then click on 'Send OTP.'
- Next, submit your OTP, and this should take you to a new page for updating new details.
- You can update Name, Gender, Mobile, Address, Date of Birth and Email ID, but since we are changing mobile number select 'Mobile Number' from the 'Select field(s) to update' and enter your new mobile number. The click on 'Submit update request.'
- This should take you to a new page which should display your new number. Click on the declaration statement if submitted correctly and then click 'Proceed.'
- Since there is no requirement to submit proof for mobile number, click 'Submit.'
- The page with the display the URN number. Note it done to track the status of the update made.
- You can track the status on UIDAI website and click on 'Check Status - Updation done Online' under 'Aadhar Update'.
Offline method to update mobile number in Aadhaar:
Visit your nearest Aadhar center and fill an 'Aadhaar Update/Correction Form' and submit it. It should take ten days to update your mobile number. To make the changes, you will have to get your biometrics data verified, and submit an existing government ID proof.
Benefits of updating mobile number in Aadhaar:
- You can perform KYC verifications with just an OTP.
- You will receive SMS updates when your bank account is credited with government scheme benefits like LPG cylinder subsidies.
- You will receive alert messages if your Aadhaar details are being sought by an organization or person. They cannot access it without the OTP.