EPFO members maintaining an EPF account are allotted a 12-digit universal account number or UAN. Through this UAN account, the provident fund subscriber is allowed to initiate fund transfer within the EPF account or from the EPF account to bank account. But the pre-requisite to do fund transfers using the UAN is activation and validation of an employee's relevant documents for Know your customer or KYC.
And the KYC process is hastened through the UIDAI-issued 12-digit aadhaar that further helps in the activation of UAN. PF members who link their Aadhaar with the EPF UAN enjoy a host of benefits including fund transfer between PF accounts without employer's digital signature. Also, they can easily initiate their claim settlement procedure. Further, the linking of EPF UAN and aadhaar also greatly reduces the likelihood of bogus accounts.
Here are easy steps to link Aadhaar and the EPF UAN:
1. Go to the Employee's Provident Fund Organisations' EKYC portal https://iwu.epfindia.gov.in/eKYC/
2. Click on 'Link UAN Aadhaar'
3. A new page opens to link your UAN with Aadhaar. Here in you need to provide details such as UAN, mobile number linked to UAN. Afterwards, you need to click on the tab mentioning generate OTP.
4. Confirm the OTP
5. You then need to provide your gender and Aadhaar number.
6. For the Aadhaar verification, you need to select verification done using mobile/ email based OTP instead of biometrics.
7. Enter Captcha. Click on the submit option. Post which another OTP or one-time password will be generated.
After the Aadhaar of the EPF member is verified successfully, his or her aadhaar will be linked to the UAN.
So, all in all the process of UAN and aadhaar linking enables you to quickly get your provident fund money.