To maintain a proper documentation for so many of your account IDs and password is a tough call and an individual at one point or the other may face a situation where he or she forgets the password for one of their accounts. Likewise, you can also confront a situation where you forget the password to your ITR e-filing Id. But there are provided ways to reset the forgotten password and again get access to your e-filing platform.
Here are given the steps you need to follow to reset your e-filing password:
1.Go the income tax e-filing portal, click on login here
2.Next click on the link saying ' forgot password'
3.Here a window opens, where you need to key in your e-filing user ID which is the PAN number and Captcha. Later click on continue.
At this stage, there are 5 options in the drop down menu and the user as per their preference can select any one of the method for resetting their password:
The method is useful only if the user's PAN is linked to Aadhaar.
· After you select the Aadhaar OTP method, you need to click on continue.
· A page will appear, where the user needs to confirm his aadhaar number. Post that click on ‘ Generate aadhaar OTP'.
· An OTP will be generated and sent to the mobile number registered with aadhaar.
· After you enter the aadhaar OTP, click on the ‘validate' option.
· After the process is successful, you need to provide the new password and confirm it.
· Click on submit
Net Banking Login
· Click on 'e-Filling login through Net Banking Link'
· Choose the bank linked to your e-filing account
· Here you need to login to your net banking account and click the ‘e-filing' tab
· You will be taken to the e-filing portal. Under the profile setting, click on the option to change password
· Upon entering the new password and confirming it, click on submit.
Upload Digital Signature Certificate:
This is the third-method for resetting your e-filing password and comes in handy if you don't have your PAN and aadhaar linked. Neither, you have a bank account linked to your income tax e-filing account. But for the same an assessee's digital signatures are required.
· After you select the digital signature certificate from the drop-down menu, you need to select either new or registered DSC option
· Using the DSC management utility, you need to upload a signature file
· After the file is successfully uploaded, click on validate option
· Herein enter the new password and then confirm it.
· From the drop down menu, choose e-filing OTP option
· You need to here select registered e-mail and mobile number
· Click on the link saying validate
· OTP will be sent to both the registered mobile number and e-mail id
· Enter the received e-filing OTP then click on the validate tab
· Once the process is completed successfull, the user must enter the new passwords and confirm it.
· Later click on submit.
Answer secret question:
This is another option to reset e-filing account password and herein you need to know the answers to the secret question which you specified while creating your ITR e-filing account.
· After you select the option ‘ Answer secret question', you need to give your date of birth or incorporation
· Select the secret question from among the many options that you provided at first
· Provide the answer to the selected question
· Click on submit
· On successful validation, you will be asked to enter the new password and confirm it
· Click on submit.