Internet banking has become an easy target for fraudsters. One has to be very careful with their details like PIN and user IDs that provide access to one's bank account via cards, net banking, etc and not provide it to strangers.
To be able to control this access further, the State Bank of India (SBI) now allows its customers the option to lock and unlock the internet banking facility. Once locked, it will be temporarily disabled as if the account holder had never opted for the facility.
"For better control & security of your account, you can lock or unlock your INB access through link 'Lock & Unlock User' available in Home / Login Page," says a running notification on SBI's website.
Further, this facility is only available to retail users and not corporates.
How to lock SBI internet banking facility?
- Visit www.onlinesbi.com
- Click on the "Lock & Unlock User" option on the main page under Personal Banking's login option on the left-hand side. (Refer image below)
- Provide the required details on the next page- Username, Account Number and captcha.
- A pop-up will appear that will ask if you are sure about locking access. Click on "OK."
- An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number and e-mail address. Enter it in the next page that opens.
- Once the OTP is verified, the internet access will be locked.
How to unlock SBI internet banking?
One can either opt to unlock their internet banking facility online or visit the bank branch.
To unlock online, you will required go through the same procedure stated above but you will have to select the "Unlock user access," in step 3 from the first drop down option on the page.
In addition to the last step (OTP), you will be asked if you wish to unlock the internet banking access "using profile password" or "through bank branch."
If you wish to do it online, you can use the profile password (meaning explained in note below) option. Enter password and click on submit.
For the "through bank branch" option, you will have to visit your SBI home branch.
Things to note
- You can opt for this option if you want to lock access for personal reasons or if you anticipate any unauthorized activity to be performed.
- Scheduled transactions and standing instructions will be unaffected.
- Before you decide to lock the internet banking facility, note that for SBI users "profile password" is not the same as "login password." Profile password is created when a customer first opens the internet banking account for the first time. This password provides access to modify profile details like address, mobile number, etc. You need to know this password to be able to re-active the internet banking facility once locked. Note it down for future use.
- If you do not remember the profile password, make sure to change it before you opt to lock your SBI internet banking access.
- There are no charges on unlocking the internet banking facility.
- Login into the right website. Ensure that the www.onlinesbi.com address bar begins with "https://" with a padlock symbol (which means it is a secure connection).
- If you are trying to lock internet banking facility because you detected an unauthorized electronic transaction, please call 1-800-425-3800/1-800-11-2211 first to notify SBI immediately.