For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

How To File Income Tax Related Complaints?


You may not have received your tax refund despite filing your Income Tax Returns (ITR) on time or you may have other concerns that you wish to bring to the tax department's attention. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has an online e-form mechanism to address your tax-related issues.

How To File Income Tax Related Complaints?

Unlike the popular method of posting your concerns over Twitter and tagging the Income Tax Department, this method is confidential and is also the official mode to raise concerns.

How and where to file the online complaint form?

  • You can directly visit this link or go to the e-filing portal and click on "e-Nivaran" on the top right-hand side of the page.
  • Click on "Submit Grievance."
  • Enter your PAN or TAN.
  • Login into the account on the portal.
  • In the e-form that opens in the following pages, you can submit the name and PAN details of the taxpayer the grievance is related to.
  • You will also need to provide details related to the assessment year, mobile number, email-ID and provide a brief description of your concern.
  • A grievance reference number will be generated on submission of the complaint. Make note of the number to check the status of the complaint filed.

To check the status of the grievance, click on the "e-Nivaran" option again and enter the grievance reference number.

The turn-around time of the complaint filed wasn't specified by the Income Tax Department.


The Income Tax Department also has helpline numbers that you can call. Click on the "Contact Us" option on the top right corner on the e-filing portal's main page or click here for details on the helpline numbers.

Read more about: income tax itr taxes
Story first published: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 15:02 [IST]
Company Search
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X