The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) recently launched a new facility where employees can update the date of exit from their previous employment online. Subscribers no longer have to wait for their former employers to make the update on their last day of employment as EPFO provides access to 'date of exit' facility on its portal.
Earlier, subscribers of the scheme had to wait for their former employees to update the exit date on the EPFO portal. Similarly, the new employer updates the joining date.
However, there are times when there is a delay from the old employer, causing onboarding issues at the new workplace. The new facility will help employers take control by eliminating dependence on the employer's access to the portal.
Updating date of exit is important as it affects claim submissions, transfers and settlements.
Things to note
- The date of exit can only be updated after two months of leaving the job.
- The date of exit can be any day in the month of the last contribution towards salary made by the previous employer.
- The facility is based on Aadhaar-based OTP (one-time-password) and therefore, can only be utilised if the subscriber's UAN (Universal Account Number) is linked with Aadhaar.
- Once updated, the exit date cannot be changed.
How to update date of exit details on the EPFO portal online?
- Login to EPFO portal using UAN (Universal Account Number) and password.
- Go to "Manage" section and select "Mark Exit" option.
- Select the EPF account number with the previous employer (can be found on payslip for reference) under the "select employment" dropdown menu.
- Enter the date of exit and reason of exit.
- Click on "Request OTP." Enter the OTP received on your Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- Click on "Update" and submit the request.
You should receive a message on your UAN registered number, informing you of such an update.
You can go to the "View" section and check "Service History" to see the date of joining and exit from EPF and EPS (Employees' Pension Scheme).