In the wake of COVID-19 outbreak and surge in cases in the state, the Maharashtra government has allowed home delivery of liquor in Mumbai to avoid long queues outside stores that sell them. Moreover, an over-the-counter sale is not permitted and in containment zones, even home delivery is not allowed.
If you do not live in a containment zone, you should note that shopkeepers will only deliver liquor to those customers who have a liquor permit. Liquor shops can use e-commerce platform or online delivery partners to sell their stock via home delivery starting 22 May, a Maharashtra government notification said.
To purchase alcohol in Mumbai via home delivery, you will need to have a liquor permit which you can apply for online.
Steps to apply for a lifetime permit for purchasing, possession and consumption of foreign liquor in Maharashtra:
- Visit https://aaplesarkar.mahaonline.gov.in/ The default language is Marathi but you may switch to English at the top right side of the screen
- Click on, "New User? Register Here" option.
- Create an account.
- Login and select "Home Department" > Sub Department > State Excise Department and click on "Permit for purchase, possession, transport, use and consumption of Foreign Liquor and Country Liquor in the State of Maharashtra (Annual or lifelong Permit) i.e. license in Form FL-XC granted under the Mumbai Foreign Liquor Rules, 1953"
- This should take you to https://exciseservices.mahaonline.gov.in/. Select Point 11 for F.L X-C and enter details. Click submit.
- Upload Photo, Signature, Aadhar Card and click Submit.
Make payment in the last step and you will receive a notification with the application number about the same. You should receive a photo ID card of the permit in a few days on the website. Online order for home delivery of alcohol in Mumbai can be placed on receiving this photo ID permit.