In India, adult citizens and children under the age of five can acquire a 12-digit Aadhaar number from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). However, parents applying for an Aadhaar Card for their children under the age of five must remember that "for children below 5 years no biometrics will be captured. Their UID is processed on the basis of demographic information and facial photograph linked with the UID of their parents. These children will need to update their biometrics of ten fingers, iris and facial photograph, when they turn 5 and 15. Intimation to this effect will be mentioned in the original Aadhaar letter." according to UIDAI. Here's the reminder that UIDAI has recently made for parents who have got a Baal Aadhaar card for their child below 5 years.
An important note for parents who have got Baal Aadhaar card for their child below 5 years
The UIDAI has warned parents who have issued a Baal Aadhaar card for their children under the age of five about the need for a mandated biometric update after the child reaches the age of five. According to the UIDAI, parents must visit the nearest Aadhaar centre with their children and get their biometrics updated. Through its official Twitter account, UIDAI informed parents that "A child below 5 years gets a blue colour #BaalAadhaar. Biometric update is mandatory at the age of 5 yrs. Take your child to a nearby Aadhaar Kendra for #MandatoryBiometricUpdate. To locate #AadhaarEnrolment Centre, click here: https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx."
Steps to locate your nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra
Parents must bring their children to the local Aadhaar centre to get their child's required biometric update completed once he or she reaches the age of five after making an appointment at appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1. Follow the steps below to find your nearest Aadhaar Center
- Visit appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 and select your State, Postal (PIN) Code of your region.
- Now enter the required details and click on the 'Locate Centre' option.
- Once you've found the local Aadhaar centre and made an appointment, you'll need to take your child there to update his or her biometric details.
Steps to apply for Baal Aadhaar Card online
- Visit the official website of UIDAI and click on the Aadhaar Card registration option.
- Now enter the name of your child, your valid mobile number, and other biometric details such as residential address, locality, state, etc.
- Now click on ‘Appointment' to schedule registration for an Aadhaar Card for your child.
- Now choose your nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra or Aadhaar Enrolment Status and fix the appointment according to your comfort.
- On the scheduled date visit your selected Aadhaar Seva Kendra with your child and required documents like Proof of Identity (PoI), Proof of Address (PoA), Proof of Relationship (PoR) and Date of Birth (DoB).
- At the centre, biometric data of your child would be required if he or she is 5 years old. If your child is below 5 years of age then no biometric authentication will be required, according to UIDAI.
- Upon successful authentication of biometric details of your child, you will receive an acknowledgment number on your registered mobile number.
- You can use the acknowledgment number to track the application status and the Baal Aadhaar Card for your child will be delivered to your at your doorstep within 90 days of application.
#AadhaarChildEnrolment— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) July 23, 2021
A child below 5 years gets a blue colour #BaalAadhaar. Biometric update is mandatory at the age of 5 yrs.
Take your child to a nearby Aadhaar Kendra for #MandatoryBiometricUpdate. To locate #AadhaarEnrolment Centre, click here: https://t.co/oCJ66DD0fK pic.twitter.com/eehCUwjAVz