The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched a 'Self Service Update Portal' where individuals can update or change their Aadhaar card specifics such as date of birth, address, name, gender, and so on. According to a recent tweet from UIDAI, one can alter his or her gender and date of birth by visiting the direct link (ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/). By tweeting out instructive tweets regularly, UIDAI is educating Aadhaar card users that they can update their Aadhaar Card details through 'Self Service Update Portal' or by visiting the above-stated link. One can change gender and date of birth in his or her Aadhaar Card only once in a lifetime, so if you are the one who has a printing mistake of gender in the Aadhaar Card, then follow the steps below to get it corrected.
Documents required to change gender in Aadhaar Card online
According to UIDAI here is the list of documents that are required to update gender in Aadhaar Card online:
- PAN Card
- Ration/ PDS Photo Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/ Service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGA Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kisan Photo Passbook
- CGHS/ ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts.
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
- Disability ID Card/ handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/ UT Governments/ Administrations.
- Bhamashah Card/Jan-Aadhaar card issued by Govt. of Rajasthan.
- Certificate from Superintendent/ Warden/ Matron/ Head of Institution of recognized shelter homes or orphanages etc. on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by MP or MLA or MLC or Municipal Councilor on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
- Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Village Panchayat Head or Mukhiya or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
- Gazette notification for name change.
- Marriage certificate with photograph.
- RSBY Card.
- SSLC book having candidates photograph.
- ST/ SC/ OBC certificate with photograph.
- School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/ School Transfer Certificate (TC), containing name and photograph.
- Extract of School Records issued by the Head of School containing name and photograph.
- Bank Pass Book having name and photograph.
- Certificate of Identity containing name and photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution signed by Head of Institute on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
- Certificate of identity containing Name, DOB and Photograph issued by Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) on UIDAI standard certificate format for enrolment/ update.
Steps to change gender in Aadhaar Card online
The UIDAI tweeted today, stating that "You can now update your gender in your Aadhaar online through the following link - https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/ to update. Your mobile number registered in Aadhaar is required to authenticate via OTP." Hence, to change your gender in Aadhaar Card through the ‘Self Service Update Portal' of UIDAI, follow the steps below:
- Visit https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/ and click on ‘Proceed to Update Aadhaar'
- Now enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and enter the required CAPTCHA code for verification.
- Now click on ‘Send OTP' and you will get a 6 digit One-Time-Password on your Aadhaar-linked mobile number.
- Now enter the received OTP in the ‘Enter OTP' space and click on ‘Login'
- Now select your gender details and change the same.
- Once done, click on the ‘Submit' button and upon successful verification, your gender will be updated in your Aadhaar Card and you will get a confirmation message regarding the same on your registered mobile number.
Charges required to change gender in Aadhaar Card
It is important to hold your Aadhaar Card with updated details because it is the most important identity and address proof for all Indian citizens. To update your Aadhaar, you can either go to an Aadhaar Enrollment Center (Aadhaar Seva Kendra) or use the online services of UIDAI. If you change one or several sections, the Aadhaar update will cost Rs 100 if you also update your biometrics. If you just want to update your demographic details, UIDAI will charge you Rs 50. If you face any issues while updating your Aadhaar credentials, call the Aadhaar customer care number at 1800 300 1947 or 1947. You may also reach UIDAI via email at (help[@]uidai[.]gov[.]in).
#AadhaarOnlineServices— Aadhaar (@UIDAI) June 17, 2021
You can now update your gender in your Aadhaar online through the following link - https://t.co/II1O6Pnk60 to update. Your mobile number registered in Aadhaar is required to authenticate via OTP.#UpdateGenderOnline pic.twitter.com/o4d1qyBUBt