Cancelling air tickets will not be an expensive affair for passengers anymore when done within a day of booking. The ministry of civil aviation on Wednesday finalized new air passenger rules that are consumer friendly.
According to the new rules
- No charges will be applicable on ticket cancellation or amendment if the changes are made within 24 hours of booking and the scheduled departure of the flight is not less than seven days away. These charges at present range between Rs 3,000 to 4,5000 per ticket. In case, the ticket cancellation is done less than seven days of the journey, the cancellation charges will not exceed the total of base fare and surcharge. Other elements like tax, airport development fee, passenger service fee and user development fee will have to be refunded in full.
- No charges will be applicable on legitimate correction in name and other details of the passenger on the ticket when pointed out within 24 hours of booking.
- Flight cancellation by the airline (in 24 hours) will require the airlines to provide an alternate flight or provide a full ticket refund.
- Compensation on the loss of baggage has been increased to Rs 350 per kg and up to Rs 20,000. It was earlier limited to Rs 200/kg and up to Rs 3,000 only.
- On missing connecting flights, if on the same PNR, Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 will be paid as compensation.
The compensation for denying boarding due to overbooking remains the same. Compensation can be up to Rs 20,000 if the alternate flight is after an hour.