In a bid to promote its Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express, IRCTC is offering passengers free rail travel insurance of Rs 25 lakh each along with luggage pick up service, exclusive lounges, taxi and hotel booking service.
The privately-run train is likely to start services on the new route in the next month. This is for the first time that IRCTC will be fully in charge of train services.
It was in the railway department's 100-agenda to bring in private train operators to provide world-class passenger service.
Apart from the free Rs 25 lakh rail travel insurance, passengers of IRCTC's Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express will receive access to retiring rooms at Lucknow junction station and executive lounge at New Delhi Railway station and lounge for meetings on-demand, a PTI report said.
- There are no concessions, privileges or duty passes allowed on these trains.
- Children above the age of 5 will be charged full fare.
- There is no tatkal quota.
- Five seats in each Executive Class and AC Chair car will be reserved for foreign tourists.
- The fares will be dynamic and competitive as against taxi, bus and flight fares on the same route. This means that fares will vary according to demand.
- Unlike 120 days advance booking across Indian Railways network, Tejas Express booking will start 60 days prior to the day of the journey.
- The train will also have a chair car which will give passengers the opportunity to book group tickets on first-cum- first serve basis. For group bookings, 78 seats in one AC chair car will be available and have to be booked at least three days in advance from date of journey. This facility will be available online.
- Free tea and coffee will be offered through vending machines and water will be provided through RO machines on demand.
- Meals will be served by onboard service staff by trolleys.
- Pick up and drop off luggage service will be made available on a payment basis wherein the passengers' luggage will be picked up from their home to their seats and from their seats to their destination. The luggage will be insured. This service is, however, still being drafted as discussions are underway with service providers.
- Although timings of the train are not yet finalised, it is likely to depart from Delhi at 4:30 pm and reach Lucknow at 10:45 pm and on its return journey, it will depart at 6:10 am and reach the Capital at 12:25 pm. The train will run six days a week, except Tuesdays.