The central government has issued a new advisory to citizens pertaining to sharing of Aadhaar. According to a press release, government has asked citizens to share only masked versions of their Aadhar with organisations in an effort to prevent its misuse. "Do not share photocopy of your Aadhaar with any organisation as it can be misused. Alternatively, please use a masked Aadhaar which displays only the last four digits of your Aadhaar number" according to a PTI report.
As per the UIDAI website, a masked Aadhaar option lets you mask your first 8 digits of your Aadhaar number in the downloaded e-Aadhaar. It will replace the first 8 digit with something like "xxxx-xxxx". In masked Aadhaar, only the last four digits will be visible.
Check the steps below for downloading masked Aadhaar:
1. Visit myaadhaar.uidai.gov.in
2. You need to login for downloading the masked Aadhaar card. Click the login option.
3. Enter you Aadhaar number
4. Fill the captcha code
5. Click "Send OTP" option
6. You will receive an OTP to your registered mobile number
7. Fill OTP and click "Login" displayed on your screen
8. Go to the "Services" option and click "Download Aadhaar"
9. Now go to "Review Your Demographics Data" section
10. Click on the option "Do you want a masked Aadhaar?" and from here you can download the masked Aafhaar