Following the extension of the nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19, the Ministry of Civil Aviation announced that all domestic and international flights will remain suspended till 11:59 pm of 3 May 2020.
However, unlike the Indian Railways, which will be offering a full refund to its passenger on cancelled trains, airlines run by private players will not be making cash refund to its customers against cancelled flights.
Instead, airlines are offering rescheduling facility to make future flight booking at no additional costs. These airlines have informed travellers via their Twitter handles on what can be done about cancellation of flight bookings for travel between 15 April and 3 May.
"We are in the process of cancelling the reservations. Your ticket amount is protected in the form of a credit shell in the PNR, which will be shared with you in the next 5-7 days," the airline said.
- Customers of the airline will have to use this credit shell within 1 year from the date of issue and for the same passenger (in whose name the booking was made).
- One can choose any travel date in the 1 year period provided.
- To check one's credit shell balance, one can check the "Edit bookings" section on IndiGo's website after the update has been provided.
SpiceJet also said that it is in the process of making cancellation on flight bookings. "Upon cancellation your entire amount will be maintained in a credit shell and the same may be used to make fresh booking and travel till 28 February 2021 for the same passenger," it added.
- Customers of the airline will have to use this credit shell for travel will 28 February 2021 and for the same passenger (in whose name the booking was made).
- One can choose any travel date till 28 February 2021.
- To check one's credit shell balance, one can check "Manage bookings" section on SpiceJet's website.
GoAir is allowing passengers with cancelled bookings for travel between 19 March to 3 May 2020 (both days inclusive) to use their paid fare to travel with the airline up to 3 May 2021.
- Customers can make the new booking over their website or app under the "Manage Booking" option using the PNR of the original booking.
- There will be a one-time waiver on 'change fees' (that is on rescheduling) but the fare difference, if any, will be applicable.
- The re-scheduling is applicable on bookings made through a travel agent or OTA as well.
- Sector change is permitted but a name change of the passenger isn't.
- For new booking made after 11 March to travel between 4 May 2020 to 31 December 2020, GoAir is allowing free re-scheduling, that is without rescheduling charges if such a change has been made up to 14 days before the original travel date.
Vistara informed customers via its Twitter handle that it would get in touch with its customers who have booked tickets for travel till 3 May and they will be able to reschedule their bookings to a future date up to 31 December 2020.